Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Bullshit. Antonio Brown is better Hines Ward at this point in his career but as long as Ward is healthy, he'll never be ahead on the depth chart.

Is he doing all the little things that make Hines a great wr? That's a question that neither of us can answer so don't even bother trying.
But we do know that Brown was still having problems with the playbook in this training camp. You're not going to take a starters place if you don't know the playbook.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Is he doing all the little things that make Hines a great wr? That's a question that neither of us can answer so don't even bother trying.
But we do know that Brown was still having problems with the playbook in this training camp. You're not going to take a starters place if you don't know the playbook.
I don't know about the little things but he's doing the big things that set him apart from Ward in terms of big play potential and getting open MUCH quicker. He also has that same Santonio swag on him that you don't see in very many receivers.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
I don't know about the little things but he's doing the big things that set him apart from Ward in terms of big play potential and getting open MUCH quicker. He also has that same Santonio swag on him that you don't see in very many receivers.
But he's still struggling with the playbook, or at least he was as recently as last week. Personally I hope that when the time comes Hines man's up and says hey he's better, start him. If Hines isn't capable or willing then Tomlin better or he'll be out of a job. This is a business first and foremost and Tomlin knows it. I don't think for a second that he would risk his livelyhood for some misguided allegiance.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

You can't ignore the talent Brown has. There is no denying he has the IT that makes some WR's great. It's also what made santonio a complete and utter asshole and drove his ass out of the burgh. I think Brown has a much better head on his shoulders not having the drug dealing pedigree that holmes had.and having a good family around him I'm sure has kept him grounded. I like the look of wallace and brown on the field at the same time, but they are still a little too raw for my taste. Having hines in there is having a coach in the huddle, a coach that can also still block, break off routes, and score TD's. I don't see hines leaving the field until an injury or tomlin decide it's time for him to retire. I don't think he will go out as a back up.

Last edited by finesward; 08-21-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: holy double negative batman!
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I really don't see what the issue here is. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end that the Steelers have ever had and can still play. It is fair for the organization to show him the respect that he deserves by reinstating him as the starter for now.

Was the best...He makes 6 mill plus...That could be used for another position of need...OL?
4.5 mill base salary + 1.6 mill bonus = 6.1 mill cap charge

even if they cut smith they'd still have a 1.6 mill cap charge for him.
now add that 1.6 mill ,plus the salary of whoever they'd get to replace him. they may save a few bucks , but what are they gonna get in return from his replacement ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #26
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
The coaching staff were all going to start Hartwig up until they realized that Poucey was better in every single aspect of the game. It took them an injury and 4 weeks of preseason to realize this. Had Hartwig been healthy, he would have been center.
I couldn't give less of a crap about your speculation. This point is irrelevant anyway.

Quote:
Timmons+Sylvester is going to wreak havoc as soon as Farrior realizes he's too slow drop into coverage anymore and retires. He had a rebound year last year and that was because he was god awful in 2009. 2010 wasn't even close to "one of his best seasons ever." I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. Timmons can take all the credit for everything good that happened in that position last year.
I still maintain that the 2010 season was in the upper half of the seasons that he has had with the Steelers. Admittedly, part of this was due to the way that he was utilized in the defense, especially in blitz packages, in which he excelled. And his coverage this past year was significantly improved from 2009. Farrior is no longer the best middle linebacker on the team, but that says a lot more about Timmons than it does about Farrior.

Quote:
Butler looked good against 4th stringers. Gay looked bad against a prototypical 4th string quarterback, Rex Grossman.
You would say that Gay and McFadden looked bad regardless of what actually happened. There is no reason right now to believe that the Steelers would have a better season in 2011 with Butler as the nickel back over Gay.

Quote:
Randle El served the purpose of being one of the most moronic signings ever. He's always sucked and is terrified of the endzone.
More observations that don't reflect the reality. He played serviceably as the third receiver to start the season until the coaching staff was comfortable with Sanders taking over the spot. His signing was an insurance policy. He didn't necessarily "lose" his job because it was the intention all along for, under the best case scenario, Sanders to take over the third receiver position. It is important to have more than one veteran receiver on the roster when your other 3 receivers are either rookies or 2nd year players who have never started. He assisted in the progression of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown last year as well, which was his most valuable asset.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #27
dreegking
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18661

Quote:
The coaching staff were all going to start Hartwig up until they realized that Poucey was better in every single aspect of the game. It took them an injury and 4 weeks of preseason to realize this. Had Hartwig been healthy, he would have been center.

Timmons+Sylvester is going to wreak havoc as soon as Farrior realizes he's too slow drop into coverage anymore and retires. He had a rebound year last year and that was because he was god awful in 2009. 2010 wasn't even close to "one of his best seasons ever." I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. Timmons can take all the credit for everything good that happened in that position last year.

Butler looked good against 4th stringers. Gay looked bad against a prototypical 4th string quarterback, Rex Grossman.

I actually don't mind Aaron Smith starting over Hood. Smith shows no decline in his game when he's on the field despite being old unlike Ward and Farrior.

-Randle El served the purpose of being one of the most moronic signings ever. He's always sucked and is terrified of the endzone. Same applies with this WR from youtube that plays special teams:

At least Cotchery was a solid WR with the Jets.
logic and reason verse vulgar and erroneous opinion

thank you
dreegking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #28
DanRooney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I couldn't give less of a crap about your speculation. This point is irrelevant anyway.
You mean the truth? Pouncey would not have been the starting center for the Pittsburgh Steelers if Hartwig was not injured in the offseason. Starting a rookie at center is a rarity in the NFL. Starting a rookie on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster about as common as seeing Halley's comet.

Quote:
You would say that Gay and McFadden looked bad regardless of what actually happened. There is no reason right now to believe that the Steelers would have a better season in 2011 with Butler as the nickel back over Gay.
That's why you have to try new things when the old ones obviously aren't working. The Donovan Warren experiment looked successful. We probably won't see it again for another 7 weeks.

Quote:
More observations that don't reflect the reality. He played serviceably as the third receiver to start the season until the coaching staff was comfortable with Sanders taking over the spot. His signing was an insurance policy. He didn't necessarily "lose" his job because it was the intention all along for, under the best case scenario, Sanders to take over the third receiver position. It is important to have more than one veteran receiver on the roster when your other 3 receivers are either rookies or 2nd year players who have never started. He assisted in the progression of Wallace, Sanders, and Brown last year as well, which was his most valuable asset.
I've never seen a receiver more terrified of the endzone than Randle El. The only thing he should be servicing are these commercials:
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
You mean the truth? Pouncey would not have been the starting center for the Pittsburgh Steelers if Hartwig was not injured in the offseason. Starting a rookie at center is a rarity in the NFL. Starting a rookie on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster about as common as seeing Halley's comet.
Where do you come up with this shit? Everything I remember reading at the time suggested that Pouncey earned his spot through his play in the preseason. Period. Show me anything that says otherwise.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #30
DanRooney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Where do you come up with this shit? Everything I remember reading at the time suggested that Pouncey earned his spot through his play in the preseason. Period. Show me anything that says otherwise.
No shit he earned his spot through his play. He was obviously better than that horrid center in every single aspect of the game just watching him in Florida.

Tomlin's plan was to play start him at guard and eventually move him to center when he was ready. But when an Hartwig got injured, Pouncey took snaps at center at camp and preseason. Did you pay attention to the 2009 offseason at all?