Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001
Default What Should be the General Offensive Gameplan This Year?

We all know Arians will never come up with half intelligent gamplans, but I wanted to know what people thought we should do in order to maximize our success on offense.

We need to run the ball more than we did last season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the offensive line giving Ben a lot of time. I know we have an excellent receiving corps, but I think we would be much better tonfocus on the run, especially with the way Redman is coming into his own. Mendenhall and Redman can split carries. Redman will be invaluable when we play Baltimore because his "fight for every yard" mentality is exactly what we need when facing the Ravens stingy defense.

The defense should be great as usual. This can afford us the ability to hammer away with the run, since I don't suspect we will have to play catch up a lot.

A strong running game that can eek out around 4 yards a carry will do wonders. Ben is at his best when he has a strong running game. I can envision pounding the ball, and then when the defense begins gearing up for the run, we hit Mike Wallace deep.

The no huddle should be utilized a lot more. It worked so well last year, and then we would get away from it. Arians does what we wants regardless of whether or not it works. Ben processes his reads faster, and of course, the defense cannot substitute as often In a no huddle

That's the best strategy I can see. We shouldn't be throwing the ball more than we are running, or even having a 1:1 ratio of pass to run. Of course, time will tell what exactly is the best approach, that is my initial thinking though.
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,666 Times in 2,410 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: What Should be the General Offensive Gameplan This Year?

i honestly think we're going to be more pass-happy since we actually have the personnel to do it this year. before i used to be anti-air and want a grind-it-out offense. now i really don't care what we do as long as it works and we win.

but take this scenario. in 5-wide we can have wallace, sanders, brown, and possibly limas sweed (depending on if he straightened out his confidence issues) on the field at the same time. all the above are threats to beat the secondary deep and score on you from anywhere on the field.

even without sweed in that equation, that is still a lot of speed on the field. add in ward and cotchery who are clutch possession wr's and at the very minimum, we should be able to move some chains through the air
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

If it's snowin we're throwin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

I don't see the offense changing much when it comes to a run-pass ratio. Too be honest I really don't want it to change. What I really want too see is an improvement in execution by the offense.
Ben needs to start getting rid of the ball and hitting WR in stride.
RB's need to sustain blocks in the passing game.
O-line- start with keeping your hands to yourself.
WR's- You need to know your routes. There's no excuse for not knowing what to do with 60 seconds to play in the SB.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I would like to see Arians' game plan be less predictable. I don't want to see Mewelde Moore on the field on 3rd and 1. I don't want to see a 7-yard curl route on 3rd and 10. I don't want to see an off-tackle run stuffed for no gain on an obvious rushing first down........etc...etc....etc.....I don't want to see some ridiculous gadget play on 3rd and short that will fail 99 times out of 100.

I'd almost like to see us open up the runnng lanes by throwing the ball....quick slants, outs, curls, etc. a la New England....get the 8 outta the box and then stuff the run up the middle. With our receiveing weapons we should be spreading the ball all over the field....3-step drops should help the o-line stay connected to their blocks long enough for Ben.....and.... I'd LOVE to see more no-huddle.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i honestly think we're going to be more pass-happy since we actually have the personnel to do it this year. before i used to be anti-air and want a grind-it-out offense. now i really don't care what we do as long as it works and we win.

but take this scenario. in 5-wide we can have wallace, sanders, brown, and possibly limas sweed (depending on if he straightened out his confidence issues) on the field at the same time. all the above are threats to beat the secondary deep and score on you from anywhere on the field.

even without sweed in that equation, that is still a lot of speed on the field. add in ward and cotchery who are clutch possession wr's and at the very minimum, we should be able to move some chains through the air
Maybe a 2000 St. Louis Rams offensive philosophy. Put 4 to 5 receivers who are fast on the field, and at least one of them is going to beat his CB. I'm not saying we're the Rams, but in certain situations we could do something similar, especially if the line proves it can protect Ben. Otherwise, spread it out and utilize the speed by using quick, shirt passes that allow the WR to pick up a lot of YAC.
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

I say to be balanced but not to the point were we are predictable which arians tends to do. Teams spread our defense a lot I say we do other teams the same way with a lot of one on one coverages and yes I think ben could do well at that!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
Maybe a 2000 St. Louis Rams offensive philosophy. Put 4 to 5 receivers who are fast on the field, and at least one of them is going to beat his CB. I'm not saying we're the Rams, but in certain situations we could do something similar, especially if the line proves it can protect Ben. Otherwise, spread it out and utilize the speed by using quick, shirt passes that allow the WR to pick up a lot of YAC.
Took the words right outta my mouth!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I don't want a message board deciding the Steelers' offensive game plan.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
mizzouristeeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I don't want a message board deciding the Steelers' offensive game plan.
Are you afraid arians might read this?
mizzouristeeler is offline   Reply With Quote