Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Cotchery signed for vet minimum..

All I know is Gay has got to go. I'm high on Curtis Brown though and I was a big fan of his in the draft. I was shocked we got him in the 3rd. Hopefully he shows something good tomorrow. We won't make a championship run with McFadden and Gay at #2 and #3, respectively.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed - should have released Wallace to free up money for Plax
Thats Rumor of the year award......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
We won't make a championship run with McFadden and Gay at #2 and #3, respectively.
Really? Because I'm pretty sure the Steelers have already done that multiple times. Weird.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #24
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Really? Because I'm pretty sure the Steelers have already done that multiple times. Weird.
Last year we were very fortunate to dodge any pass-first teams in the post season. The ones we did play pretty much embarrassed those two. Is it a coincidence that we lost only to teams that spread us out? Maybe you're hoping for the planets to line up again so we can play Sanchez, Flacco, and someone from the NFC West in the playoffs.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #25
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Last year we were very fortunate to dodge any pass-first teams in the post season. The ones we did play pretty much embarrassed those two. Is it a coincidence that we lost only to teams that spread us out? Maybe you're hoping for the planets to line up again so we can play Sanchez, Flacco, and someone from the NFC West in the playoffs.
Agreed. I don't think we can keep saying "We've done it before". Playing the Colts and Patriots in the playoffs last year probably would have been a different story. A team this great can overcome the atrocities of McFadden and Gay, but not all the time, and especially not against Brady. I'm not saying we went to the Super Bowl last year cause we didn't play the Pats, I'm saying that the odds of us avoiding them in the playoffs ore beating them with McFadden and Gay at #2 and 3 are low. They are probably the biggest weak link on the team and the whole world saw it in February, teams are going to try and spread us more this year.I know this might not be the best analogy, but even if you have a really good car, if the car has a problem and you keep trying to drive it cross country, it's eventually going to not make it. It may make once or twice, maybe for a while, but it will not continue to make it for very long. We need to fix the problem, last year is no guarantee for this year.

That said I am optimistic, and although I think it's unlikely, it is possible to do it again.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #26
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-the-afc-north
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #27
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah read this article a while back. Is this supposed to prove something other than McFadden and (moreso) William Gay are horrible cover corners? It's been well known that we have some of the best tackling corners in the league who are very good in run support. These stats basically say:

-All 3 of our top corners have no playmaking ability outside than rushing the passer (aka they don't make plays on the ball when it's in the air)
-They allow too many catches (aka poor in coverage)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

The Steelers do not play a cover system. I don't care how many completions and yards a secondary allows anyway. I'm more interested in how many points they give up. Besides, I highly doubt that Gay will still be the nickel back by midseason. Lewis or Brown will be in that role. Both have better cover skills than Gay and McFadden. Who knows, Lewis may even unseat McFadden at some point this year, although he has an awful lot to prove before that can happen. I do not believe Brown can win a starting job this season simply because of his inexperience, but it's possible for next season if he is what many believe he is.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
troypthebest
Water Boy

Member Number: 17718

He's a bargain for the minimum!
troypthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
The Steelers do not play a cover system. I don't care how many completions and yards a secondary allows anyway. I'm more interested in how many points they give up. Besides, I highly doubt that Gay will still be the nickel back by midseason. Lewis or Brown will be in that role. Both have better cover skills than Gay and McFadden. Who knows, Lewis may even unseat McFadden at some point this year, although he has an awful lot to prove before that can happen. I do not believe Brown can win a starting job this season simply because of his inexperience, but it's possible for next season if he is what many believe he is.

You're wasting your breath. You could spell it out in 42 different languages and they still can't or won't grasp the concept behind our defense and what is asked of the cb's. Amusingly enough it's frequently the same crowd that uses Arians' "predictability" as proof that he sucks.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote