Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #31
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: So NO ONE on this roster can win the RG job....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
There is a bunch of cheerleaders on this board. It seems that anyone who criticizes any part of this team is seen as the bad guy or the guy who thinks we're going 0-16 but that's not the case.

Every team has it's weaknesses, some moreso than others, and the Steelers are no exception. If we all agreed that the Steelers were a great team (which they are) and nothing was wrong with them (which is false) this board would 1. delusional and 2. boring. We understand that you can't have star players at every position in the salary cap era, but there's always room to get better. We made it to the SB last year but we still can improve on our secondary and solidify jobs on the offensive line. I mean no other team in the NFL is playing musical chairs with RG, LT and LG like we are. Our secondary is horrendous and anyone who thinks differently is out of their mind. But the Steelers FO is making steps (half assed ones) at improving it by bringing in a bunch of guys like Macho Harris and trying new starters like Donovan Warren.

So please, stop freaking out by the criticisms made by other posters on this board.
I agree 100% with everything but our secondary. There not great but there not horrendous
Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #32
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I'll rephrase. Our DBs outside of Troy Polamalu, who makes everyone in the secondary look good/play better and Ike Taylor, are horrendous cover corners.

If you think Bryant McFadden, William Gay, and Keenan Lewis are average or better, you're wrong. They are very bad cover corners. You take out our pass rush and they'll get feasted on by any quarterback in the league. There is a reason Arizona got rid of McFadden and no team jumped on William Gay after being a FA twice. There's also a reason we only signed him to a 1 year extension for the last two seasons.

We have bad depth at corner until one of our young guys can step up. That's why McFadden and Gay are entrenched at the #2 and #3 position.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
I'll rephrase. Our DBs outside of Troy Polamalu, who makes everyone in the secondary look good/play better and Ike Taylor, are horrendous cover corners.

If you think Bryant McFadden, William Gay, and Keenan Lewis are average or better, you're wrong. They are very bad cover corners. You take out our pass rush and they'll get feasted on by any quarterback in the league. There is a reason Arizona got rid of McFadden and no team jumped on William Gay after being a FA twice. There's also a reason we only signed him to a 1 year extension for the last two seasons.

We have bad depth at corner until one of our young guys can step up. That's why McFadden and Gay are entrenched at the #2 and #3 position.
i'd say give lewis a chance this preseason to prove he's better. he definitely has more talent than both mcfadden and gay combined.

hopefully butler is better from his injury before the next game, he was one of my predictions to make a splash this year
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #34
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:

to much complaining. this is the same team that won us a super bowl and took us to another last year. this isnt a perfect world and with a salary cap its not possible to have top tier players at every position so who would you give up to get that perfect secondary? woodley? hood? troy? harrison? heyward? timmons? there isnt enough money to pay everyone 10mil a year so you need to choose and i think the steelers made some good decisions
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #35
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Again with this false notion that non-cover corners are poor corners. And yes, Bryant McFadden is an average #2 corner, and William Gay is an average #3 corner. Maybe you should actually look at what the rest of the league has to compare, unless your issue is terminological, at which point I would suggest that you look up the term "average".
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #36
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
There is a bunch of cheerleaders on this board. It seems that anyone who criticizes any part of this team is seen as the bad guy or the guy who thinks we're going 0-16 but that's not the case.

Every team has it's weaknesses, some moreso than others, and the Steelers are no exception. If we all agreed that the Steelers were a great team (which they are) and nothing was wrong with them (which is false) this board would 1. delusional and 2. boring. We understand that you can't have star players at every position in the salary cap era, but there's always room to get better. We made it to the SB last year but we still can improve on our secondary and solidify jobs on the offensive line. I mean no other team in the NFL is playing musical chairs with RG, LT and LG like we are. Our secondary is horrendous and anyone who thinks differently is out of their mind. But the Steelers FO is making steps (half assed ones) at improving it by bringing in a bunch of guys like Macho Harris and trying new starters like Donovan Warren.

So please, stop freaking out by the criticisms made by other posters on this board.

Personally it's not the criticisms made about the team. It's the pure relentless negativity based on what frequently amounts to garbage logic that drives me nuts.

Frequently we hear "our db's suck, they're horrendous" blah blah blah. Really, lets look at for minute. Are they playing zone or man? What is the player in question's responsibilty? Was he supposed to have help? Did he get it? How much of the field was he supposed to cover? There are probably 2 dozen more questions along the same lines that the sky is falling crowd can't answer. All that is given is player x sucks. Occasionally we'll get a little glen beckesque gem from them like if he didn't suck then why wasn;t he snatched up in free agency.

;yawn

We have a similar situation with the Arians sucks crowd. Some of the things we see from them are he sucks because "he's predictable, people are amazed that I can predict the play before the snap".
There are only two options, run or pass you haven't exactly just reached the summit of Mt Everest here.

"Arians sucks because he will call a 20 yard pass on 3rd and 1". Really? What was the play Arians called? What was the 1st option? 2nd? 3rd? Did Ben pump fake? Did Ben audible? What was the defense showing? Did the defensiive formation or personnel dictate that going for a long pass was a better option?

Last edited by theplatypus; 08-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
DanRooney
Banned

With an elite pass rush, an elite safety, and a solid #1 corner, you would think average corners would be just fine. Those two aren't. Below average. No team would have them as #2 and #3 except for maybe the Texans and I didn't see them making a move for Gay.

Arians is a moron. I'm not going to even elaborate on that because I know it and you know it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #38
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I'm just glad this isn't a board full of homers...the criticism, relentless as it may seem is because their seems to be minimal effort to fix the problem by the FO....drafting DB's an OL in the 3rd round and below when EVERYONE has identified these as areas of need is baffling and infuriating to some of us and we feel the need to comment, we don't have to be pro analysts to recognize obvious flaws
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
DanRooney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
to much complaining. this is the same team that won us a super bowl and took us to another last year. this isnt a perfect world and with a salary cap its not possible to have top tier players at every position so who would you give up to get that perfect secondary? woodley? hood? troy? harrison? heyward? timmons? there isnt enough money to pay everyone 10mil a year so you need to choose and i think the steelers made some good decisions
Didn't I just say that in this same thread?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #40
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

The Steelers just drafted 2 offensive linemen in the first 2 rounds in the past two years. Curtis Brown could very well prove to be better than some of the CBs that were drafted ahead of him as well. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they take another CB in the first 3 rounds next year as well.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote