Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,299
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 101
Thanked 450 Times in 237 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

of course its only preseason but some of the same people here who said you cant jidge Plex because he did well in a preseason game was all over Brown a few days ago because of how well he did in a preseason game
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,417
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,650
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
This is a wildly gung ho straw man argument. One _can_ assess if a player
looks ready to rock, when going against any starters in preseason. That is
not any where near the same as claiming a _team_ will do well based
on wins in the preseason. EVERYONE knows this. Too many variables. Some
teams game plan for PS, others do not. SOME teams leave in starters for
longer than other teams, and will obviously be more likely to win. Stop
with the straw man madness.
Apparently not EVERYONE does

Belichick, Patriots look like they're back ... with a vengeance...

We are only halfway through a preseason after a protracted lockout. There is so much we do not know. But the Patriots look like a monster team. A lot like 2007.

Be afraid, NFL. Be very afraid.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=nfl_wr_a2

I was simply flipping your nonsensical argument back at you

I recognize putting any weight on preseason gamnes is nonsense - see my thread in the NFL section on Pats worship

OTOH you apparently are gullible enough to rely upon a decent performance in a pre-season game against the Bengals as an indication of future results if it allows you to
try and ride your hobby horse about how great Burress is

I have to ask - are you related to bobby jr.? His posts have an uncanny similarity in many ways to yours with regard to the leaps of illogic.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #23
Sixburgher
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 685
Member Number: 17648
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I recognize putting any weight on preseason gamnes is nonsense - see my thread in the NFL section on Pats worship.
Speaking of which, WTF does this thread have to do with the Steelers?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,417
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,650
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Speaking of which, WTF does this thread have to do with the Steelers?
You need to follow the long term plot lines on the board.

Some posters think the Steelers blew the season when they did not blow out the cap by signing Burress for $3 million several weeks ago - last night's performance by Burress apparently confirms that obvious screw-up by the Steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Speaking of which, WTF does this thread have to do with the Steelers?
It has very much to do with the Steelers. Plex came in for a 2-meal
visit a few weeks back, meaning there was a real possibility that
he could come back to Pgh. Some of us thought that would have
really given the team an overall boost, while others claimed Sweed
was likely to be a bigger factor than would signing Plex. I asserted
that Plex going to the Jets made them better and, at the same time,
made Pgh weaker for not having him.

I am now stating, that, after viewing how he looked, that my original
assertion is even more likely to be on the $. (My take that Sweed
would do nothing for us this season has already been proven
100% correct.)
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You need to follow the long term plot lines on the board.

Some posters think the Steelers blew the season when they did not blow out the cap by signing Burress for $3 million several weeks ago - last night's performance by Burress apparently confirms that obvious screw-up by the Steelers
$3 million would "blow up the cap?" I'd say paying Aaron Smith
$6 million and Foote $3 million does far more damage along
those lines. That's $9 mill spending on players who:

A.) are not even starters, or
B.) are likely to get hurt and miss most the season... on,
C.) a unit that has younger guys to get the job done, period, having
spent two first-round picks on the unit in recent years.

Plex is more motivated to produce than at any time in his career.
He also no longer takes things for granted, and that improved
mindset will prove invaluable.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 11,291
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 2,136
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Plex blows up

i wish plex the best to be honest. except if the jets face us, then i hope he shits the bed
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
theplatypus
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,948
Member Number: 3329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i wish plex the best to be honest. except if the jets face us, then i hope he shits the bed
As do I.

However, instead of shitting the bed I would like to see him shoot himself in the leg again. Once the bullet has left his leg I wouldn't complain if it hit Sanchez in the leg and then continued onward into thumper's skull as well.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Apparently not EVERYONE does

Belichick, Patriots look like they're back ... with a vengeance...
They were never "not back." They won 14 games last year and have
done nothing but added to-shelf talent. Sure, they got ambushed by
a motivated Jet's team in the play offs, but it's not as if NE was considered
"down" last year. I don't think you can ever say a team that goes 14-2 needs
to "come back."


Quote:
We are only halfway through a preseason after a protracted lockout. There is so much we do not know. But the Patriots look like a monster team. A lot like 2007.
I would have considered that so without ever looking at their PS
results. They are time-tested and as long as they got Brady
and Belichick up there, they are always a threat to win lots of games.

Quote:
Be afraid, NFL. Be very afraid.
They are what they are. And one of the things they are are
Steeler killers.

Quote:
I was simply flipping your nonsensical argument back at you
No you were creating one in a non sequitur fashion.

Quote:
I recognize putting any weight on preseason gamnes is nonsense - see my thread in the NFL section on Pats worship
Making conclusions on a team's win-loss record in PS is ludicrous.
Making evaluations from individual players, especially those play
the other team's starters, is not. There is a colossal different.

Quote:
OTOH you apparently are gullible enough to rely upon a decent performance in a pre-season game against the Bengals as an indication of future results if it allows you to
try and ride your hobby horse about how great Burress is
Oh, I will take my "hobby horse" into the season, and, sans any major
injury, will be proven 100% right. I have the vision to see it happen, even
though no regular season games have begun.
Quote:
I have to ask - are you related to bobby jr.? His posts have an uncanny similarity in many ways to yours with regard to the leaps of illogic.
I don't know "Bobby Jr." But my logic is sterling and structurally sound.
Yours? A bit fleeting, even judging by your assertions in this post alone. Once
you throw in non sequiturs all bets are off.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,417
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,650
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Plex blows up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
$3 million would "blow up the cap?" I'd say paying Aaron Smith
$6 million and Foote $3 million does far more damage along
those lines. That's $9 mill spending on players who:

A.) are not even starters, or
B.) are likely to get hurt and miss most the season... on,
C.) a unit that has younger guys to get the job done, period, having
spent two first-round picks on the unit in recent years.

Plex is more motivated to produce than at any time in his career.
He also no longer takes things for granted, and that improved
mindset will prove invaluable.
Thanks for confirming my assumption you really do think the Steelers should have pulled strings to find $3 million for Burress

And please get back to me when the geniuses in the Jets front office confirm their superiority to the chumps in the Steelers front office after the Jets win 2 Super Bowls and play in 3 in a six year stretch
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts