Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: how do you think our running game is gunna be?

If Duce can stay healthy, I see no reason why our running game can't be just as good if not better than last season. Duce staying healthy concerns me very much heading into this season. Maybe I'm being paranoid?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-31-2006 at 04:30 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Not trying to fight with you just looking for stats on Verons fumbles?
Arkie, NFL.com is always a useful resource for player/team stats.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302046

Haynes has fumbled 4 times in his whole career and failed to recover 3 of them.

He has 159 career carries, so that equated to a fumble every 40 carries.

If we compare him to a couple of backs we should get some context for those stats.

First up - an elite back.

Edgerrin James 2188 carries 33 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 66 carries.

Secondly, a career back-up who has a reputation for fumbling.

Kevin Faulk 607 carries and 21 fumbles which works out at a fumble every 29 carries.

As you can see, he is not the worst of performers for a back-up - but then he has had very little work to do in his career - a couple of fumbles early next year would bring his average plummeting down.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #23
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

I didnt think he fumbled much but as much as I hate to say this to a pats fan YOU THE MAN with the stats rep to you

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
I didnt think he fumbled much but as much as I hate to say this to a pats fan YOU THE MAN with the stats rep to you
Thanks Arkie - its the offseason - you are allowed to positive rep Patriots fans

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #25
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I may get pounded onto dust for saying this but i think Veron Dan and Willie can carry the load. I am not a big fan of Duce and never have been he has got paid for 2 years worth of work yet only put in about half that amount. I know he has been hurt but rb get hit alot so you need to be tuff. I was realy hopeing we went after TJ Ducket or White back during the draft but we didnt so we got what we got. Willie will get it done for us Dan will block and Veron will ice the cake we will be fine. If Duce does well this year (over 600 yards 10 tds) I will eat my words.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
If Duce does well this year (over 600 yards 10 tds) I will eat my words.
If he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he can't accomplish those numbers. Keep in mind his TD's were low because Bettis cleaned up. His first year here proved enough to me when he's healthy. But once again, that's the big question.

Also with Duce, he's pretty darn good out of the backfield. With Duce you have more options than you do with Haynes and for the most part I feel Duce is the better RB (when healthy).

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-31-2006 at 04:43 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #27
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I am not knocking him just dont like guys who take up spots and dont produce. He blocks well and has soft hands for a big guy so i dont hate him he is just not my favorite. Dan may be my favorite Steeler right now big dont get no credit. I would like to see him get the ball more on screen plays and a swing type pass ever now and then. IT would help keep the defense a little more honest.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
Old 06-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #28
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I believe the running attack is still going to be questionable and could be the weak link on the offense.
All of the RB's have to avoid the injury bug and one of them has to step up as the new leader of the group.

The one thing that is going to be sorely missed is the leadership, attitude and intensity that JB brought not only to the running game but to the entire offense.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #29
Santonio4
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2307

If Duce stays healthy (thats a long shot) we can have an effective running game. Willie is a good runningback but he still isnt very consistant.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #30
treadhead
Water Boy

Member Number: 2383

I agree with much of the sentiment expressed here. I would add though that having Heath Miller in the line-up with a years experience under his belt should help our run game quite a bit. We're finally throwing to our TE's and we happen to have a very good one right now. The opposing D's will have to account for him, which should limit the amount of 08 man fronts we'll face. My only real concern other than DS's health is Willie's penchant for turning the ball over. I'm hoping they'll be working on this with him during camp.
treadhead is offline   Reply With Quote