Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #21
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: It's a fight to the finish for Aaron Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Keisel has to rest, and Heyward will by no means see even a third of the playing time Hood will see. I'm fully confident that Hood will play plenty of snaps as the RDE this year, as he has the past two years already. Whether or not Heyward will be a better player at the position in the future is irrelevant to 2011, which is the subject under discussion.
Of course he won't. But I don't think you'll see many snaps from Hood at RDE. I think we'll see him rotating with Smith and Hampton as opposed to Smith and Keisel. He has played NT before. And with Hoke being in his last year, I think it'll be the smart move having a guy like Hood who can play emergency NT. Heyward +Hood+Keisel would be sex on the field.

I'm confident (or at least hope) Heyward will get the rotation at RDE just like Ziggy did at LDE before Smith was injured in 2009 .
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #22
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
If Holmes was still on this team, we'd have one of the best WR corps in the past 10 years on any team. Wallace+Holmes+Brown+Sanders+Cotchery...I really don't think you can find a team that can stop that if we go 5 wide.

No, I'm not an OSU fan but I do believe Gibson was a better player than Worilds. IRing Smith means we would have kept Gibson. Looks like the Steelers know they made a mistake too when they tried to bring him back.
why do you think the niners cut him so soon ? are they that loaded at olber ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,109 Times in 2,621 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Cameron Heyward will be a better DE than Ziggy Hood. He is a perfect mold for a 3-4 DE. Ziggy wasn't, which is why he was less than spectacular in 2009 when Smith got hurt.

Besides, they're not letting go of Smith. They'll let him play his final year and Heyward will have a year of experience under his belt and being in rotation with Keisel. I don't think they intend to let Ziggy play that side. I going to go on a limb and say he will rotate in at NT rather than there.
Heyward is going to be a monster. I can't wait till he learns our defense.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,011 Times in 3,041 Posts

Quote:
If Holmes was still on this team, we'd have one of the best WR corps in the past 10 years on any team.

if holmes were still on this team, jehrico chrotchsniffery wouldnt even be here, now would he? and we wouldnt have antonio brown, now would we?

why dont you just throw p. burress in the mix and talk about how we would be the greates team of all time. maybe we can talk jerry rice out of retirement as well.

Quote:
No, I'm not an OSU fan but I do believe Gibson was a better player than Worilds.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #25
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
why do you think the niners cut him so soon ? are they that loaded at olber ?
I honestly have no idea. He had very little playing time. I know their defensive scheme probably changed when Singletary got fired. But I can't really speak for the 49ers FO. Drafting Taylor Mays 49th (coincidence?) overall tells me they're not very smart.

I think the Steelers trying to bring him back says a lot more than the 49ers cutting him. Either Gibson was a perfect fit for the Steelers or Worilds has really been shitting the bed (or both).
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if holmes were still on this team, jehrico chrotchsniffery wouldnt even be here, now would he? and we wouldnt have antonio brown, now would we?

why dont you just throw p. burress in the mix and talk about how we would be the greates team of all time. maybe we can talk jerry rice out of retirement as well.

I'm not the one reliving the past with vets like Hines Ward and Taunto Farrior, who are well past their starting era.

Are you obsessed with Jerry Rice? That's the 3rd time you've mentioned him in like 6 posts. He retired a long time ago btw.

And I don't know why your rofling at the hint that Gibson could be better than Worilds. I remember at 2 years ago many people saying Gibson had a much easier time learning our defense. And the Steelers did make an attempt to bring him back. Why do you think they would do this after grabbing Carter in the 5th?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #27
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
I'm not the one reliving the past with vets like Hines Ward and Taunto Farrior, who are well past their starting era.
James Farrior was 26th in tackles. In the entire league. And he was 39th in sacks. In the entire league. That's 2nd and 3rd, respectively, on the team. The Hines Ward thing we've already covered in another thread.

You need to up your medication. It's not working right now.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #28
DanRooney
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
James Farrior was 26th in tackles. In the entire league. And he was 39th in sacks. In the entire league. That's 2nd and 3rd, respectively, on the team. The Hines Ward thing we've already covered in another thread.

You need to up your medication. It's not working right now.
Is 26th in tackles and 39th in sacks is supposed to mean something? I would hope he was 2nd in tackles on the Steelers being one of the two starting ILBs on the team. Did you know that Derrick Mason was #2 in receiving yards on the Ravens team? How on earth could the Ravens release a guy like Mason when he's SECOND in receiving yards on the team. He's also a mentor.

I mean first you tell me not to use fantasy stats when I use numbers like receptions, yards and TDs comparing WRs (which are double that of another player), then you bring up all of these stats that are completely irrelevant like being 39th in the league in sacks. It's hilarious and you have no response to this so you bring up another argument where you get completely owned again.

I normally don't do this but did you go to college? Please tell me you haven't. If you're in high school, I'll stop wasting my time arguing with you. Comparing Hines Ward to Roddy White topped the iceberg
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Fantasy stats?
Quote:
I mean first you tell me not to use fantasy stats when I use numbers like receptions, yards and TDs comparing WRs (which are double that of another player),
When did you use fantasy stats, and when did I tell you not to use them?
Quote:
then you bring up all of these stats that are completely irrelevant like being 39th in the league in sacks.
Being 26th in the league in tackles and 39th in sacks are fantasy stats? And how is Farrior's production irrelevant to an argument about his productivity?
Quote:
It's hilarious and you have no response to this so you bring up another argument where you get completely owned again.
What's hilarious? I have no response to what? I was owned somewhere? How much of your life takes place entirely in your head? Do you talk to yourself while you're typing away here? Have you punched your computer monitor in the past few hours?

Like I said, you need to up your dosage.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #30
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
any money we spend on smith now, will be recouped when it comes time to give ziggy hood his 2nd contract w/o the inflated stats or starts.

this is the steelers way. i dont understand how many die hard steelerfans refuse to see this very simple and time tried concept.

ziggy hood still hasnt proven to be better than a healthier aaron smith. if he had, smith would be gone, or on the bench with a paycut.

a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. its not rocket science.
I have to admit I was wondering if he could come back from this last injury. Having said that if he is healthy I agree it's not Ziggy's time yet. Aaron Smith IS the MOST under rated DE in the league and has been for years. He's perfect for a Dick LeBeau defense. Having said that I'll disagree with what Aaron said about retirement. I believe
when his time comes he'll know it and has the class to step down gracefully.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote