Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Steelers Look Super

Camp conclusions: Steelers look good, Tebow not so much

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...ow-not-so-much

Quote:
Pat Kirwan has concluded his camp tour after visits with the Steelers, Browns, Cardinals, Texans, Titans, Redskins, Chargers, 49ers, Ravens, Bucs, Rams, Broncos and Saints. He reflects on the most memorable things, good and bad, from his journey.

It wasn't clear what training camps would yield following the lockout, but with my 2011 tour over, I came away impressed overall. Most players reported in shape and the new mandatory practice schedules actually looked like an effective way to get schemes installed and teaching done.

Established teams always have a head start over the competition, but the gap is even greater now. Which leads me to this conclusion: We will not see the normal playoff turnover, where four to six new teams make the postseason, this year.

After seeing nearly half the league over the past month, here are the five things that impressed me and concerned me during my camp tour:

Steelers look Super. If ever a team looked ready for the season, it was the Steelers. Heck, their third-team offense functioned well in a 2-minute drill. The defense was already playing at a fast pace and the unit had more blitzes and zone pressures in the scheme than some teams will have all year. Ben Roethlisberger was doing a much better job in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quicker than I have ever seen him. The most impressive part, I witnessed all this during the first week of camp.
for what its worth, kirwan also had this to say about baron batch before he ripped up his knee-

Under-the-radar rookies poised to impress during preseason

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...ring-preseason

Quote:
Baron Batch, RB, Steelers, seventh-rounder
Batch might have been the most impressive guy I have seen at camp so far in terms of toughness. He's an outstanding pass protector and receiver for the third-down package.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Steelers Look Super

Ben Roethlisberger was doing a much better job in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quicker than I have ever seen him.

This is should be huge.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Ben Roethlisberger was doing a much better job in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quicker than I have ever seen him.

This is should be huge.
That is the best news of all...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
tony hipchest

some more quality analysis is a breath of fresh air from the cloudy pseudo- armchair qb rubbish that often pollutes fanboards-

Camp / Back to Football
Steelers camp report: Continuity what drives Pittsburgh

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...ves-pittsburgh

Quote:

Observation deck
1. Ben Roethlisberger has never looked in better shape. Every year I watch him scramble around the field in the night scrimmage at Latrobe High School, making plays and exciting the fans. Not this year, though, as Roethlisberger consistently stayed in the pocket and drilled receivers with a much quicker and improved release. In the first real two-minute drill of the year against most of the Steelers' first defense, Roethlisberger marched the offense down the field the same way he did to win the Super Bowl against the Cardinals.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
2. The cornerback position opposite Ike Taylor will be a battle as camp goes on. Bryant McFadden is the man to beat, but expect competition from rookie third-round pick Curtis Brown.

3. The door is wide open for second-year wide receiver Antonio Brown to shine. Hines Ward hasn't practiced yet and Emmanuel Sanders is recovering from foot surgery, and Brown is taking full advantage of his opportunity. I sat down with Brown on my visit, and I was very impressed with his humble approach and knowledge of the game. He looked almost as fast as Mike Wallace at the scrimmage, driving his route stems deep and catching the ball with ease.

4. The Steelers have expectations for Jason Worilds. The backup outside linebacker to James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, Worilds has "to keep pushing to improve. He's a good player but his game has to take the next step," according to a member of the Steelers organization.

5. It sure looks like wide receiver Arnaz Battle is ahead of Limas Sweed for the fifth wide receiver spot.

New guys to watch
1. Seventh-round pick Baron Batch, a running back, blocked Harrison well in a blitz pick-up drill and got the attention of the coaches. During the team scrimmage Friday night, Batch blocked every blitzing linebacker extremely well, plus showed running ability and route-running ability.

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

2. First-round pick Cameron Heyward might not break into the lineup right away at defensive end, but he is impressive. Heyward was in a very similar system at Ohio State that used much of the same terminology. That knowledge shows up in his ability to play fast this early in camp.

Overheard
General manager Kevin Colbert on Harrison's back surgeries: "We're not worried about James, not the way he prepares. We'll be smart with him this summer. He does like to take every rep in practice, but he realizes he has to be smart."

Prediction
The Steelers return all 22 starters from last season and are loaded with quality backups. They practice like they had a full complement of mini-camps and organized team activities. There's no reason this team can't win the division and focus its sights on a trip to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl. The head coach, coordinators and assistant coaches also all return, giving them the ideal combination to deal with a lockout-shortened preseason.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Hell yes!

Talented, veteran laden team with some nice young players developing= being in the SB conversation every year for a very long time!

Can't wait for the season to start.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

it's a shame we'll have to wait another year to see baron batch. i want to know what all the hype is about. at least now we know who our replacement for mewelde moore will be
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
. i want to know what all the hype is about.
from all accounts he was already looking like our best blitz blocking running back and as one talking head put it, was "not afraid to die" in pass pro.

sounds like he has giant balls made of steel and a giant iron chip on his shoulder.

i havent seen him either, but trust the analysis ive read and heard. even bart scott "cant wait".

kid seems like he has impeccable character as well (for what thats worth).
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
from all accounts he was already looking like our best blitz blocking running back and as one talking head put it, was "not afraid to die" in pass pro.

sounds like he has giant balls made of steel and a giant iron chip on his shoulder.

i havent seen him either, but trust the analysis ive read and heard. even bart scott "cant wait".

I skimmed over his blog, which I guess he puts together himself, and if that's true I can say with some certainty that the kid is bright. Nice, eclectic taste in music, too, as I recall.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

sounds like my kinda running back. i hope he makes a full recovery and is ready to show his stuff next year
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It sounds like good news that Ben is getting rid of it quick, but it better be real quick. With our O line he needs to be mobile if the ball isn't out immediately or he is going to get hit hard and often. Again, it sounds great, hopefully it is.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote