Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Top 50 players: Fleeting moments of glory

Good Read I found I only listed the Steelers on here for the whole list go to the link

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/...?topfifty53006

Top 50 players: Fleeting moments of glory
May 30, 2006
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The NFL is a cruel business for its players. I've always believed that, which is why players should enjoy it while they can. It goes so fast, their time in the spotlight limited, the big-money years coming and going, replaced by the reality that it's over.

That becomes even more evident to me each summer when I sit down to do the CBS SportsLine.com list of the Top 50 players in the league, which is something I've been doing the past six years.

It's amazing to see the change from one year to the next. Players rise, players fall. Age impacts some, their spot taken by somebody with the vigor of youth. The injured get discarded like a worn-out pair of socks, their perch among the game's elite no longer in their grasp.

Two years ago, the No. 3 player on our list was Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair. The No. 4 player was Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes.

Want to know where they are on this year's top 50? Scan it all you want. You won't find them.

Injuries and age have sent those two falling like Tom Cruise's popularity. McNair, who might play for the Baltimore Ravens this year, can still get it done, but he isn't as good as he was in 2004, when he was coming off a co-MVP season.

In 2003, Holmes ran for 1,420 yards and scored 27 touchdowns, earning him the high ranking in our 2004 Top 50. Since then, he has played in a total of 15 games because of injuries and has rushed for 1,343 yards the past two seasons. There's talk he might be forced to retire because of a neck injury.

That's so cruel. That's the NFL.

The flip side is the emergence of young stars, players who have found their way into the top 10, a guy like Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer.

When we did the rankings in June 2004, Palmer was coming off a rookie season in which he didn't take one snap. There was no way he could be ranked anywhere close to the top 50.

Two years later, he's the fifth-ranked player in the league, despite suffering a serious knee injury last January.

That's how quickly thinks change.

One thing that hasn't changed is the top-rated player. For the third consecutive year, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning tops the list. Manning had another outstanding season in 2005, leading the Colts to best record in the league before they choked away their chance to win a Super Bowl.

Manning remains the game's best player, on his way to becoming perhaps the game's greatest passer. He is certainly on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The reason he tops this list is simple. It's because he's the answer to this question:

If there was an open draft of all NFL players, who would be the first player taken?

Manning would top most lists.

So he stays at the top here, followed closely for the second consecutive year by New England quarterback Tom Brady. They are a strong 1-2, where great quarterbacks should be. Palmer is right behind them, even with the major knee surgery. He's making progress in his rehab and might be there for the season opener. If not, his return shouldn't be long after that.

As for Holmes and McNair, their futures remain cloudy. McNair will play somewhere this season, even if his skills have eroded. Holmes might not play at all. His career might be over.

That's why neither can be found in this Top 50, only two years from being among the top five.

When they say the NFL chews you up and spits you out, they aren't kidding. The rise can be slow -- McNair and Holmes are proof of that -- but the fall is usually swift.

Fame is fleeting. The NFL reminds of us of that every year, especially when it's time to rate the game's best.

17. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers: He made big strides in his second season, and we can expect more this season. He's just behind Carson Palmer on the quarterback pecking order for third place.

23. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers: He became a force for the Steelers defense in 2005. He seemed to be all over the field. He does need to improve in coverage before he moves higher up this list.

Just missed: Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default Re: Top 50 players: Fleeting moments of glory

**** Manning
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

just think he more then likly go down as the greatest QB with out a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
Good Read I found I only listed the Steelers on here for the whole list go to the link

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/...?topfifty53006

Top 50 players: Fleeting moments of glory
May 30, 2006
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The NFL is a cruel business for its players. I've always believed that, which is why players should enjoy it while they can. It goes so fast, their time in the spotlight limited, the big-money years coming and going, replaced by the reality that it's over.

That becomes even more evident to me each summer when I sit down to do the CBS SportsLine.com list of the Top 50 players in the league, which is something I've been doing the past six years.

It's amazing to see the change from one year to the next. Players rise, players fall. Age impacts some, their spot taken by somebody with the vigor of youth. The injured get discarded like a worn-out pair of socks, their perch among the game's elite no longer in their grasp.

Two years ago, the No. 3 player on our list was Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair. The No. 4 player was Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes.

Want to know where they are on this year's top 50? Scan it all you want. You won't find them.

Injuries and age have sent those two falling like Tom Cruise's popularity. McNair, who might play for the Baltimore Ravens this year, can still get it done, but he isn't as good as he was in 2004, when he was coming off a co-MVP season.

In 2003, Holmes ran for 1,420 yards and scored 27 touchdowns, earning him the high ranking in our 2004 Top 50. Since then, he has played in a total of 15 games because of injuries and has rushed for 1,343 yards the past two seasons. There's talk he might be forced to retire because of a neck injury.

That's so cruel. That's the NFL.

The flip side is the emergence of young stars, players who have found their way into the top 10, a guy like Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer.

When we did the rankings in June 2004, Palmer was coming off a rookie season in which he didn't take one snap. There was no way he could be ranked anywhere close to the top 50.

Two years later, he's the fifth-ranked player in the league, despite suffering a serious knee injury last January.

That's how quickly thinks change.

One thing that hasn't changed is the top-rated player. For the third consecutive year, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning tops the list. Manning had another outstanding season in 2005, leading the Colts to best record in the league before they choked away their chance to win a Super Bowl.

Manning remains the game's best player, on his way to becoming perhaps the game's greatest passer. He is certainly on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The reason he tops this list is simple. It's because he's the answer to this question:

If there was an open draft of all NFL players, who would be the first player taken?

Manning would top most lists.

So he stays at the top here, followed closely for the second consecutive year by New England quarterback Tom Brady. They are a strong 1-2, where great quarterbacks should be. Palmer is right behind them, even with the major knee surgery. He's making progress in his rehab and might be there for the season opener. If not, his return shouldn't be long after that.

As for Holmes and McNair, their futures remain cloudy. McNair will play somewhere this season, even if his skills have eroded. Holmes might not play at all. His career might be over.

That's why neither can be found in this Top 50, only two years from being among the top five.

When they say the NFL chews you up and spits you out, they aren't kidding. The rise can be slow -- McNair and Holmes are proof of that -- but the fall is usually swift.

Fame is fleeting. The NFL reminds of us of that every year, especially when it's time to rate the game's best.

17. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers: He made big strides in his second season, and we can expect more this season. He's just behind Carson Palmer on the quarterback pecking order for third place.

23. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers: He became a force for the Steelers defense in 2005. He seemed to be all over the field. He does need to improve in coverage before he moves higher up this list.

Just missed: Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
5. Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals: He's coming off knee surgery, which is a concern, but he has made big strides in his recovery. He had an amazing season in 2005 and we can expect many more.

9. Chad Johnson, WR, Bengals: He talks a big game, but you have to love the fact he backs it up. This kid is good for the NFL, and he's a great player.
This Prisco guy is a smart fellow.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

I see they dropped Seymour down to 12.

I don't know about Manning over Brady. Would Manning have 3 rings if he was a Patriot? And would Brady be ringless if he was a Colt?
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork

I don't know about Manning over Brady. Would Manning have 3 rings if he was a Patriot? And would Brady be ringless if he was a Colt?

I was thinking the same thing, the way I look at it is if I where a GM and I was bulding a team and could only pick from Brady or Manning I would pick Brady because he has show me he can win the Big one...
Old 05-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Overall I think it's good except for a few things:

1. I think Brady should be ahead of Manning
2. I think McNabb should be much high
3. I'm not trying to be a homer, but I think Gates should be a little higher.
4. WTF? VICK? He doesn't belong in the top 300.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

just think he more then likly go down as the greatest QB with out a ring

No Peyton won't even go down as that. Dan Marino will always hold that honor. Its to bad also. Marino was a great QB. Dan Marino deserved a ring.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork

Thats a good question and an interesting one at that. I will say this I doubt Tom Brady would be ringless if he played for the Colts. Hell Tom might have more then three. I can't stand Tom Brady. Being a Steelers fan you have to understand. But Brady has proved time and time again he is the best QB in the NFL.

Now Peyton Manning with the Pats I don't think Peyton would have a ring. I really don't. He can't even advance to the Super Bowl with all the offensive help he has had around him in his career with the Colts. Peyton groupies always said the defense let the team down. But this year the Colts defense was very good and the Colts still went home early. Also Peyton plays in that stupid dome. I hate domes. The Colts are nothing more then a great arena football team. Thats what the Colts remind me of when watching them is a arena football team.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
The Colts are nothing more then a great arena football team. Thats what the Colts remind me of when watching them is a arena football team.
It sure looks that way. With Manning just being the best arena QB this side of Doug Flutie(yeah I know, Flutie never played arena fooball). But, even still, he couldn't win inside when he meet the Steelers.

How long do you place him at #1 bassed soley on his stats? If he doesn't win soon, you can't.

Last edited by hardwork; 05-31-2006 at 05:49 PM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote