Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts
Default Re: Defense Gets an Eyeful

10 yard curls all year long.....

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,311 Times in 3,488 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
10 yard curls all year long.....
that might come to a stop if lewis wins the #2 spot over mcfadden. lewis' strength is jamming receivers at the line, I'm sure lebeau has to alter the scheme to suit his strengths right? toast mcfadden can't cover anybody, which is why he's always playing 20 yards off his man.

and after the game, tomlin said in his press conference that they need to play tighter coverage. maybe that's a sign of things to come
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
that might come to a stop if lewis wins the #2 spot over mcfadden. lewis' strength is jamming receivers at the line, I'm sure lebeau has to alter the scheme to suit his strengths right? toast mcfadden can't cover anybody, which is why he's always playing 20 yards off his man.

and after the game, tomlin said in his press conference that they need to play tighter coverage. maybe that's a sign of things to come
I pray this is true. It seems logical that if our rush is forcing the QB to make quick decisions then our DBs should be playing press coverage. I get the bend-don't-break concept, but the coaches have to figure out how we can stop giving up conversions on 3rd & long like we did against Atlanta.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

The Steelers are never a bend don't break defense, and they won't be this year. I've never understood that anyway, what you bend and give them the field position and time of possesion battle all game to hope that you don't break and give up touchdowns on any of that? Regular season comes around and you'll see the same defense as last year.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The Steelers are never a bend don't break defense, and they won't be this year. I've never understood that anyway, what you bend and give them the field position and time of possesion battle all game to hope that you don't break and give up touchdowns on any of that? Regular season comes around and you'll see the same defense as last year.
They are absolutely that type of defense. They play soft coverage, allowing underneath short passes, and defending against the big play.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
They are absolutely that type of defense. They play soft coverage, allowing underneath short passes, and defending against the big play.
If you mean that type this preseason then I agree, but the Steelers have never played that style of defense in seasons past.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
dyce23
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17204

Quote:
If you mean that type this preseason then I agree, but the Steelers have never played that style of defense in seasons past.
Huh? You're a Steeler fan right? You don't watch the games? We've played a "bend-but-don't-break" style of defense for a while now. At times we've played it better than others, but we've been using that style for some time.

Back to the thread topic.

Harrison is still hurting, and Troy isn't a hundred percent either. Still, once the season gets underway, I doubt we'll be as easy to move the ball against. Hopefully, like some of you have suggested, McFadden loses his job too. That would definitely be a boost to the secondary...especially if that corner is allowed to press his man...
dyce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Not meaning to pile on, but agreeing with my fellow fans, bend but dont break is exactly what the defense is designed to do. Which is exactly why Brady and co. does so well against the Steelers. Their offense is designed to do what the Steelers defense is designed to give up. They have no problem taking 15 plays to go eighty yards. Dink and dunk up and down the field.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #19
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Allowing Matt Ryan to complete barely half of his passes, and his only touchdown coming on a short field (although granted, Julio Jones did drop a 50+ yard bomb, which would have been a nice catch as it was), is something that I will take, especially when considering that the secondary was absent the starters, and then Keenan Lewis. And most importantly, the offense is primed to be its most potent, perhaps, that it's ever been.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

There will be some difference when Ike gets back. There were very big cushions against ATL but I have a feeling that had more to do with who was in there. Although the Steelers did some things to be excited about, it is still just pre-season. Let's not get over excited or overly upset at our successes and failures in these games.
I believe we will still have our usual top 5 Defense. The difference this season is we appear to have a big play quick strike offense, which will translate into more time on the field for the D. Therefore a rotation of DL and spelling Harrison if he's still not 100 % is important in the early part of the season.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote