Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Cam Newton To Start vs. Steelers

Cam Newton To Start vs. Steelers
By: Mike Vukovcan
August 29, 2011 7:12 AM

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- Thursday night Carolina rookie quarterback Cam Newton will get the toughest assignment of his young career.

The #1 pick of the 2011 NFL Draft will take on Dick LeBeau and the Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

Carolina head coach Ron Rivera has announced that Newton will once again start for the Panthers.

All indications are Newton will be the starter when the Panthers open their regular season Sept. 11 at Arizona. Rivera’s other options are former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen and former Cleveland Brown Derek Anderson.

So far this preseason, Newton has completed 21 of 52 (40.4 percent) passes for 275 yards and no touchdowns, no interceptions and a 57.8 passer rating and one rushing touchdown.

The last time Carolina started a season with a rookie quarterback was Chris Weinke back in 2001. It was a rough season as the Panthers went 1-15.
Thursday night’s game will be televised on KDKA-TV with Bob Pompeani and Edmund Nelson. Kickoff is set for 8 pm.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...t-vs-steelers/
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385
Default Re: Cam Newton To Start vs. Steelers

He will look like the next re-incarnation of Bart Starr against the Steelers D (Even though he stinks as a QB).

31st place in total D...WOO HOO only one team to lower than us!
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Yes, because everyone knows the importance of preseason team statistical rankings.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
He will look like the next re-incarnation of Bart Starr against the Steelers D (Even though he stinks as a QB).

31st place in total D...WOO HOO only one team to lower than us!
Meh...those stats are skewed right now, due in part to the fact that many of the yards gained by the opposing team are in garbage time...and the D has been playing mostly vanilla.

I think we'll see some of the same problems with the secondary in the regular season that we saw last year...but I don't expect the overall performance of the defense to drop off that much (if at all).

And for all the yardage the D has allowed in preseason...they're still in the top 10 for points allowed.

If their defense is ranked lower than 7 throughout the regular season, then I'll be worried about their production. I don't worry about that during preseason though lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Pre season or not. Its a telling problem.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Pre season or not. Its a telling problem.
Please tell me you are kidding!Try breaking apart the stats in the first few quarters when the starters are in!PRE-SEASON!!! I cant wait to see Cams wide eyes against our D...
Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

His daddy will take some of tha Auburn money and pay the D not to hurt him!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Pass defense and the O-line are our weaknesses... everyone knows it.... no different then last year really.

All we can hope for is improvement on the O-line...because we all know Arians is not going to adjust anything to help our O-line.

DL on the other hand will likely do some things to help our pass defense....so I'm not too worried. As long as Troy is healthy and we can put pressure on the QB we should be fine. Come playoff time and we are playing the elite QB's...then we'll just need to out score the opponent with out shooting our selves...like last years SB.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

This is the same defense as last year we just added a few young guys. PreSeason defense isn't even a fraction similar to what real defense is. We are running basic plays with guys rotating on and off all the time. Any stats that come from the 3rd and 4th quarters are completely irrelevant. The defense will be as good as last year, unless the new CB's step up, then it will be better, unstoppable.

As for Cam Newton, if it was the regular season I'd say it would be bad news for him, since it's preseason it just doesn't matter.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
This is the same defense as last year we just added a few young guys.
Exactly right and everyone should take note that the Defense last year was #1 or #2 in most major categories until Troy and BMac were severly hobbled by injuries. I'll worry about that side of the ball if there are issues apparent near the end of the season that will impact a playoff run. Until then, wake me if something happens ...

Oh, btw, Newton is a franchise wrecker. He's got the brains of Vince Young and the throwing mechanics of a sausage maker (no offense to those fine Steelers fans who happen to make a profession of producing quality sausages). The Panthers totally blew that draft ... they should have selected Marcell Dareus. This preseason game for the Steelers should equate to: no injuries for the starters, plenty of looks at the guys on the 53 man bubble. Forget Cam Newton, 'cause in 5 years Panthers fans will wish they could.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote