Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Colbert Becomes First Steelers GM

Steelers Notebook: Colbert quietly team's 1st GM
Monday, August 29, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers make known their big promotions by saying nothing. They have done that again through their usual means of merely changing a title in their media guide.

Kevin Colbert has been promoted to general manager by the team, becoming the first to hold that title in Steelers history. He held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000, a title Tom Donahoe also held as his predecessor.

The team has had three presidents -- Art Rooney Sr., Dan Rooney and now Art Rooney II -- but never a general manager. The Steelers have had player personnel directors and director of football operations, but never a general manager. Years ago, Dan Rooney was asked why he did not have a general manager as many NFL teams had and he responded, "Because I am the general manager."

That title was never used, however, until now and it was merely slipped into their 2011 media guide, which is available only in digital version at the moment on the team's website.

There also is no elaboration as to the promotion, merely a title change for Colbert and a line in his biography that he is in "his first year as the team's general manager." That is the same way the Steelers announced that Art Rooney II had succeeded his father Dan as team president, and the same way they announced that Dan Rooney had succeeded his father Art Sr. as team president.

Colbert, 54, has directed the Steelers scouting and player personnel moves since he joined them Feb. 15, 2000, from the Detroit Lions as their pro scouting director for 10 years. He also was a college scout for the Miami Dolphins after getting his start as a scout with BLESTO under its director Jack Butler, one of two seniors nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

A Pittsburgh native, Colbert graduated from North Catholic High School and Robert Morris University.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11241...#ixzz1WQB3B4bj

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 08-29-2011 at 08:42 AM.
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Colbert Becomes First Steelers GM

I don't like tossing the word "classy" around too much, especially towards rich folks, but, hey, classy.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

thats a very classy move by ricardisiom to put his reservations towards the elitist snobs aside, and recognize the rooneys classy gesture.

the title is well deserved by colbert and really lets him know (along with his pay raise and new contract) how president art II and his dad feel about what he has done for the franchise and will continue to do in the future.

now only if tomlin will get a cool title like "the emperor" or "chaz".
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

You mean Tomlin hasn't been named Team Chaz yet? What's the hold-up?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,308 Times in 1,830 Posts

well i guess i wasted my time puttin that application in..

don't matter anyway ... i'm pretty sure i'll nail that playboy photographer job ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I'm still stunned the Rooneys passed up a prime opportunity to hire a gridiron genius like Thumper. He's got a lot of free time on his hands right now. I guess he's taking a year off to "spend time with family" or something?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,308 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I'm still stunned the Rooneys passed up a prime opportunity to hire a gridiron genius like Thumper. He's got a lot of free time on his hands right now. I guess he's taking a year off to "spend time with family" or something?
i think he got a gig with cowher in the studio...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

new title, same job.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Ah, great. Just when I thought we wouldn't have to listen to his rambling, self-aggrandizing bullsh!t anymore.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
You mean to tell us that CBS convinced him to leave his parent's basement. Maybe his mom caught him ... you know ...
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote