Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Harrison not back to usual condition

Harrison not back to usual condition
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Usually, not many Steelers players, if any, are in better shape than James Harrison, their four-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker. Especially this time of year.
But these have not been usual times for Harrison, which he has quickly -- and somewhat agonizingly -- discovered.

Like the rest of the players in the NFL, Harrison did not have an offseason of workouts, practice sessions and minicamps with his teammates because of the lockout. But even if there were offseason training activities, he likely would have been unable to participate after having double back surgery in March.

Harrison has had a tough time getting back in shape after his surgery, and it was apparent in the victory Saturday night against the Atlanta Falcons, when he played longer than in either of the two previous games and was noticeably fatigued.

He often was breathing heavily and had a difficult time pressuring quarterback Matt Ryan.

"He's looking like he was tired out there," said inside linebacker James Farrior, the defensive captain.

"He's not where he wants to be, he'll tell you that," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "It's not where he usually is before a season. He's usually in better shape than anybody, but the back surgery slowed him down a little."

Harrison has been somewhat limited with the amount of practice time he has received in training camp because coach Mike Tomlin wants to be careful with his comeback from surgery. That, coupled with a lack of his usual offseason workouts, has left Harrison not in the shape to which he is typically accustomed.
"It fatigues you a lot faster, especially when you're trying to deal with an injury, and it really fatigued me out there, I'm not going to lie," Harrison said. "That's something that comes with the territory."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243...#ixzz1WcattiDF
Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Harrison not back to usual condition

Wait, wait - ESPN has great coverage about how our defense will not be the same because of his slow progress. Every time we talk about the Steelers lets ignore the fact that there was a shortened prep time this season but when the Patriots make mistakes and get smoked by the Lions let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll be ready come wk 1
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Doesn't matter Worlids is backing up Harrison and Woodley, and he can rush the QB like no ones business.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Doesn't matter Worlids is backing up Harrison and Woodley, and he can rush the QB like no ones business.
rushing the qb yes, but having contain on run plays and coverage is something worilds can't do as well as james yet. harrison is as complete a linebacker as it gets, having him injured is a blow to the entire defense
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Worlids can't carry Harrison's jock and all hype aside, may never be on that level in his career (not saying I don't hope he fulfills all our dreams when the time comes for him to step up).

There's still a part of me that thinks this is a combination of Harrison bagging the preseason and a bit of overplaying the injury card for future opponents. I'll be worried if Harrison fails to run down a scrambling Flacco in week 1. Until then, this is just noise.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Moose
Water Boy

Member Number: 18658

I think Harrison will be okay after a few more weeks. The preseason shortness is affecting alot of players. They needed those extra weeks of practice and reps. Once the games begin, Harrison will be running fine and 'sticking' as normal.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Worlids can't carry Harrison's jock and all hype aside, may never be on that level in his career (not saying I don't hope he fulfills all our dreams when the time comes for him to step up).

There's still a part of me that thinks this is a combination of Harrison bagging the preseason and a bit of overplaying the injury card for future opponents. I'll be worried if Harrison fails to run down a scrambling Flacco in week 1. Until then, this is just noise.
oh the irony, considering how many times Harrison was cut from the Steelers and even once from the Ravens before finally coming into his own and finally finding a spot on this team

yeah, Worilds has no chance to improve
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
oh the irony, considering how many times Harrison was cut from the Steelers and even once from the Ravens before finally coming into his own and finally finding a spot on this team

yeah, Worilds has no chance to improve
Yeah, if you read my post thoroughly, you would have seen the part that states "not saying I don't hope he fulfills all our dreams when the time comes for him to step up". And if you followed the context of my post you would have understood that I was talking about the talent Worilds currently displays and not his potential. All the posts stating Worilds should start (or fill in for Harrison) or Sylvester should replace Farrior are not realistic. Yes, I hope these young guys improve to be as good or better than the vets they may some day replace. But enough of the garbage of putting these guys up for being capable replacements at this point. Today, Worilds can't sniff Harrison's jock, so let's not think that this team won't suffer if Harrison goes down with a serious injury.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
What the hell have you been watching? Certainly not this: http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10688

I would say his VT footage, but he only had 2 sacks there. In college,Worilds is one of those OLBs that could apply pressure but never finish. I haven't been impressed with him in the prseason, that's for sure.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post

Harrison is one of those LBers that come around once every 10 years. I don't think Worilds will ever be as good.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote