Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 37,290
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Haha is this your argument to why Sylvester is being tried at OLB ? Did you completely ignore everything because you have no argument and you were pretty much proven wrong in your last attempt to belittle someone (or whatever you were trying to do)? Is your pride a little hurt?

So pretty much I said Gibson should have been kept because Worilds has been playing poorly and you call me an idiot for that. I throw something back at you and your threatening to ban. Anyone else catching on to this? I have no problem with you disagreeing with anything I say. But you starting the namecalling is pretty low, especially for a mod on a forum. Maybe you should try disagreeing using football facts. I don't see pete around here parading around in your jackass demeanor.

i was sure you wouldnt fail us as badly as you have failed yourself.

whats the difference between sly stevenson, jason worilds, and your boy?

(drum roll please)

your boy, gibson, has been cut by two teams.

if you knew anything about the steelers current regime, you would know that they are very high on position flexibility, and will certainly continue to explore what they have in stevenson, just like they did with timmons (who was initially more of an outside guy and is now a $50 million dollar man in the middle).

if your boy were so highly regarded by the steelers it woulda been one of the other lb's cut such as the supposed bus worilds, old man foote, or 5th round stevenson.

as it stands, your boy was the last on the 53 man totem pole deemed the most dispensable and easilly replaecable.

youre not too in tune to how the front office and coaching staffs work, now are you.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
DanRooney
Head Coach
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,746
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 1
Thanked 103 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i was sure you wouldnt fail us as badly as you have failed yourself.

whats the difference between sly stevenson, jason worilds, and your boy?

(drum roll please)

your boy, gibson, has been cut by two teams.

if you knew anything about the steelers current regime, you would know that they are very high on position flexibility, and will certainly continue to explore what they have in stevenson, just like they did with timmons (who was initially more of an outside guy and is now a $50 million dollar man in the middle).

if your boy were so highly regarded by the steelers it woulda been one of the other lb's cut such as the supposed bus worilds, old man foote, or 5th round stevenson.

as it stands, your boy was the last on the 53 man totem pole deemed the most dispensable and easilly replaecable.

youre not too in tune to how the front office and coaching staffs work, now are you.
First of all, Sylvester had a year under his belt and continues to show flashes of brilliance. He wasn't in the equation of getting cut.

Gibson wasn't cut due to poor play. You make it seem like he played horrible in the preseason (like Worilds is doing now), so Tomlin said "peace bro." He made the 53 man roster but because of the questionable decision to keep Smith on the roster after tearing his tricep midseason, we had to get add a D-Lineman. You under no circumstance get rid of your 2nd round pick in their first year of playing. Hell, Sweed was held onto for 5 years and was as bad as you can be. That's why Gibson was the odd man out, but they had every intention of sneaking him back onto the practice squad.
__________________
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 37,290
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

im sure they woulda liked to sneak him in onto the practice squad.

that is no excuse for you to be crying over spilt milk so loudly.

"we're talkin about practice [squad], man....

practice [squad]"

as it stands, thad was free to the world and only 3 of the 32 teams showed any interest. 2 of the teams were in the championship games last year and faced the longest odds of even landing him if there were even marginal interest in him.

he was cut twice and 29 teams said "no thanks". he's only getting a shot with washington because he knows the position coach.

dont feel bad. even the patriots gave bruce davis a shot before they realized why the steelers let him loose. if your boy thad is good enough to land on the redskins 53 man roster i will gladly give you a and a when you return from your temp ban.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,045
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 315
Thanked 141 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im sure they woulda liked to sneak him in onto the practice squad.

that is no excuse for you to be crying over spilt milk so loudly.

"we're talkin about practice [squad], man....

practice [squad]"

as it stands, thad was free to the world and only 3 of the 32 teams showed any interest. 2 of the teams were in the championship games last year and faced the longest odds of even landing him if there were even marginal interest in him.

he was cut twice and 29 teams said "no thanks". he's only getting a shot with washington because he knows the position coach.

dont feel bad. even the patriots gave bruce davis a shot before they realized why the steelers let him loose. if your boy thad is good enough to land on the redskins 53 man roster i will gladly give you a and a when you return from your temp ban.
your gonna have dude banned for continuing to disagree with a FO/Coaching staff decision?? really?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
First of all, Sylvester had a year under his belt and continues to show flashes of brilliance. He wasn't in the equation of getting cut.

Gibson wasn't cut due to poor play. You make it seem like he played horrible in the preseason (like Worilds is doing now), so Tomlin said "peace bro." He made the 53 man roster but because of the questionable decision to keep Smith on the roster after tearing his tricep midseason, we had to get add a D-Lineman. You under no circumstance get rid of your 2nd round pick in their first year of playing. Hell, Sweed was held onto for 5 years and was as bad as you can be. That's why Gibson was the odd man out, but they had every intention of sneaking him back onto the practice squad.
Sylvester was in the same draft class as Worilds and Sylvester...he didn't have a year under his belt. In fact, Sylvester was the low man on the totem pole in the preseason and beat out Bailey for a roster spot, as Tomlin said yesterday.

Worilds played well against the Falcons. Maybe you should watch that game again the next time you get an opportunity. He played much better than he did in the first two preseason games. He also played well last year. I also don't care whether or not you liked the pick. The facts, as they stand right now, are that he played well in his rookie season, and the most recent film of him, namely the Falcons game, is good. Worilds "merely" being a 2nd round pick is not why Gibson was cut to make room for McClendon instead of Worilds. He was cut because he was the 9th LB on the depth chart, and he was the 9th LB on the depth chart because he was behind in terms of practice because he wasn't academically eligible to practice until later on, and therefore never even saw the active list. If that were not the case, it is most likely that Sylvester would have been cut, not Worilds. Sylvester was the 5th ILB and was also the latest round draft pick. But they figured that they could play Sylvester on the outside and he had already proved that he could play special teams, while Gibson hadn't even gotten a chance to be on the active roster (and most likely wouldn't have at all for the entire season barring injuries).

Also, Sweed was only entering his 4th season.

Fortunately, I completely agree with you about Gibson and everything else. Those who claim that Gibson was cut for any reason other than the fact that he was a casualty of the loyalty the team had for Aaron Smith and the fact that he was a luxury roster spot (a 9th LB that would never be active) is simply ignorant, and citing the fact that he was cut by two teams (one of those teams being the Steelers, the very same team that put in a waiver for him because they never wanted to get rid of him in the first place) as a justification for criticizing his playing abilities is foolish. The 49ers cut Gibson because they are under a new regime and they drafted an outside linebacker in the first round, in addition to bringing in other OLBs in free agency. They had no loyalty to him, nor any experience of his abilities. Saying that 29 teams didn't put in a waiver on him means anything is also ridiculous. The fact that 3 teams put in a waiver for him means more than that 29 teams did not.

The reason that Gibson was behind the other LBs in his draft class was due to his academic standing due to coming out of the Ohio State program. It was probably understood that he would not play barring injuries in his first season due to the fact that he would have a minimal offseason as a result of his academic obligations. The reason that they put him on the 53 man roster, however, is because they feared losing him to waivers, so they elected not to try to sneak him on to the practice squad. Obviously this turned out to be a good idea, since he was later snatched up off of waivers. However, once the season started and the reality of carrying a luxury roster spot showed its head once it was necessary to fulfill a need at another position, the Steelers had to bite the bullet and cut the player that they knew would not contribute to the team in 2010. And this is, again, why he was cut, because he wasn't going to contribute in that year. Not because he was the worst linebacker on the team.

Of course, the ramifications of cutting Gibson instead of putting Smith on IR after Keisel suffered his injury are still felt. Obviously the Steelers lost a player that they were high on, otherwise they would not have attempted to get him back. More importantly, however, with the absence of Gibson, the team was forced to use a 5th round pick in the 2011 draft to draft Gibson's de facto replacement in the form of Chris Carter, after the team decided to allow Keyaron Fox to walk and that Sylvester would assume ILB responsibilities again.

The fact that they are using Sylvester on the outside, however, does not necessarily insinuate that the team is unhappy with Worilds. More likely, the team is more comfortable with Sylvester on the outside than Chris Carter because Sylvester has already been in the system for a year (without a shortened offseason) and has already shown potential to play outside. And in addition, of course, Carter is currently down with a hamstring injury. This is an intelligent move on the team's part to work Slyvester on the outside as well as the inside because 1) Larry Foote is the first ILB to come into the game anyway, 2) the team does not intend to carry 9 LBs this year, and 3) player versatility adds yet another level of insurance for the team should injuries become a factor (like it already has with Carter).
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
theplatypus
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,948
Member Number: 3329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
your gonna have dude banned for continuing to disagree with a FO/Coaching staff decision?? really?
He wasn't banned, it's just a little vacation and it was for being a tool not disagreeing with the FO.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
SteeleReign
Team President
 
SteeleReign's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,229
Member Number: 13943
Thanks: 288
Thanked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Looks like Lebeau is starting to give Sylvester some reps at outside linebacker; likely because of James Harrison's lingering back issues. Odd. I mean don't we have Jason 'the destroyer of' Worilds as his primary backup? A linebacker that can "rush like no other."

So let me get this straight. We've attempted to bring back Thaddeus Gibson and giving Farrior's stud successor reps on the outside when we know Timmons is well capable of being an emergency OLB himself; especially since Foote is still on the roster. Yet Tony Stark and Ricardo still think bringing Gibson was just a move for (hold your laughter) veteran depth and nothing to do with Worilds failing to impress Keith Butler? Certainly he couldn't be stinking it up as shown in a video I posted in another thread. Apparently you guys have trouble connecting the dots when it's right in front of you. I'll wait for the hilarity to ensue.

Maybe it's because Worilds is Harrison's primary backup & they don't want him hurt. Or maybe it's because Worilds & Sylvester are seen as equals right now & they are giving the latter a chance to earn the spot. Or maybe they know what Worilds can do & want to see what Sylvester can do against #1 o-linemen.

Point is...you are taking a big leap in your assumption. It's a possibility that you're right, but it's just as likely you are wrong.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central PA.
Posts: 892
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15311
Thanks: 97
Thanked 188 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Nice problem having too many good LBers on the team. Brings up lots of posts and arguments.
Love it...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,753
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 2,775
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

IMHO some are drinking too much ESPN kool-aid. We can still win at Bmore with a 75% James Harrison
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,753
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 2,775
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default Re: Sylvester getting some work at OLB

Why aren't we more excited about getting a rusty P.Manning and Arian Foster in back to back weeks?!? Not like the running game ever scares me lol
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts