Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default About those Steeler 'weaknesses'

About those Steeler 'weaknesses'
Thursday, 01 September 2011 01:15
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...ler-weaknesses

It is widely believed that the Steelers have an average-to-poor offensive line, a porous pass defense and a borderline idiot as offensive coordinator.

Somehow they keep going back to the Super Bowl, more often than any team.

Letís talk about those weaknesses or what I prefer to consider ``so-called weaknesses.''

The offensive line: The group that started in the Super Bowl last year against Green Bay helped the Steelers to more yards, more first downs and more offensive points than the Packers, which is pretty good playing against the best team in the NFL. They were able to do this despite the fact their best member, center Maurkice Pouncey, did not play.

Pouncey is back and again will start at center.

Willie Colon, who missed all of last season with injury, is back at right tackle, where he started 16 for the previous three seasons including the 2008 Super Bowl champions. Some might not consider this an upgrade over Flozell Adams, but they should note that the Steelers cut Adams and no one has picked him up.

Chris Kemoeatu is back at left guard, a position he held last season and on the 2008 Super Bowl champions.

Ramon Foster, who started at right guard last season is back but will not start and is not even in contention to start. The job will fall to either Doug Legursky, who is expected to start tonight against the Carolina Panthers, or Tony Hills, a seldom-used tackle who was switched to guard this season.

Jonathan Scott, who took over left tackle last season when Max Starks was lost to injury, returns, but has been hurt. He should play tonight and could open the season. If he is not ready, Marcus Gilbert, the 2011 second-round draft choice, will start.

So what you have are two returnees from a Super Bowl champion (Kemoeatu and Colon) a player (Legursky or Hill) who will have beaten out a returnee from a Super Bowl line that outplayed Green Bay, and the best rookie center in Steelers history.

Some people call that a below-average line. I donít.

The secondary features four players who started in the 2008 Super Bowl won by the Steelers and the 2010 Super Bowl that they lost.

A lot of teams would like to have that kind of personnel.

Thatís not to suggest this is a superior group. Itís not. But it has been good enough. Ike Taylor might be the most underrated cornerback in NFL history. Heís been the No. 1 corner on two Super Bowl champions and never made the Pro Bowl.

Also in the secondary is strong safety Troy Polamalu, whoís headed to the Hall of Fame, and merely the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010.í

Cornerback Bryant McFadden and free safety Ryan Clark have started in two Super Bowls.

As for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, thereís no arguing with people about him. Iíve been trying for three years to convince fans heís not an idiot. I wonít waste any more of your time or mine because they still believe they can call plays better than he can.

Those are the Steelers weaknesses. If they are, that makes them a pretty strong team. Strong enough to get to the Super Bowl?

It certainly could happen. Two things could halt that dream. Injuries and a better team.

Thatís why they play the 16 games. Should be another great Steelers season.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: About those Steeler 'weaknesses'

meh...this guy can try to paint the team's weaknesses any way he wants, but the fact remains that o-line & the secondary have been and continue to be weak.

Are they so weak that our obvious strengths can't overcome them? Obviously not. But, they are still weaknesses on an otherwise championship caliber team.

Last edited by SteeleReign; 09-01-2011 at 12:51 PM.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I was really intrigued by the Hills experiment. It's unfortunate that he couldn't win the job. I do think Legursky is a pretty solid lineman (and a beast fullback). We don't have to have an all-pro line, but an average one will be fine with a QB like Ben.

Outside of Mendenhall, our 2008 draft is a miss. Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (hate him), and Ryan Mundy (meh), That entire draft class was pretty bad though. For every DeSean Jackson there was a Sweed, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

it's beyond stupid to discard weakness...period
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I was really intrigued by the Hills experiment. It's unfortunate that he couldn't win the job. I do think Legursky is a pretty solid lineman (and a beast fullback). We don't have to have an all-pro line, but an average one will be fine with a QB like Ben.

Outside of Mendenhall, our 2008 draft is a miss. Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (hate him), and Ryan Mundy (meh), That entire draft class was pretty bad though. For every DeSean Jackson there was a Sweed, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.
I agree with your Hills comment. I don't know that the experiment is over - I don't remember seeing him struggle against Atlanta, but then again, I wasn't watching him the whole time.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Yeah I actually only caught highlights of the Atlanta game because my power went out for 4 days because of Irene
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Yeah I actually only caught highlights of the Atlanta game because my power went out for 4 days because of Irene
I missed the second half due to the rain - satellite signal lost.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

the funniest thing about this article, is one of the main reasons they lost the Superbowl was because of their weaknesses..... the secondary got TORCHED...
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...29-yd-TD-catch
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
the funniest thing about this article, is one of the main reasons they lost the Superbowl was because of their weaknesses..... the secondary got TORCHED...
Right! Don't forget all the dropped passes by the Packers too.

Every team has weaknesses, I just hate it when homers try to paint everything as rosy just because the Steelers were in the Bowl. Maybe they were a legit DB & a Pouncey injury away from winning #7?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Gay looked like he was just walking his dog through the park...WTF?!