Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Firing up the Deisel.....

A big pay day hasn't changed the Pittsburgh Steelers new starting right defensive end. In fact, Brett Keisel is simply picking up where former starter Kimo von Oelhoffen, now with the New York Jets, left off.

PITTSBURGH ? It wasn?t like Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel hit the lottery or anything this spring. But the 27-year-old Keisel did find himself in a new tax bracket.

Keisel signed a four-year, $13.1-million deal to stay with the Steelers this spring that included a $3.29-million signing bonus.

The flannel-wearing, pickup-driving Keisel has taken some kidding from his teammates, hearing such things as ?Big Money? and ?New Money,? but it?s not as if he hasn?t paid his dues in working his way up from a former seventh-round draft pick to starting defensive end.

Just don?t expect Keisel to now start taking anything for granted.

?It?s way different,? said Keisel of his first mini-camp and voluntary workouts as a starter. ?When you?re a backup, you?re always kind of on the backburner. You?re always watching the guy in front of you and trying to watch what he does and trying to learn from what he does. Now I?m trying to set an example and show what?s expected.?

It?s something he learned watching Aaron Smith and Kimo von Oelhoffen for the previous four seasons.

Now, he replaces von Oelhoffen in the starting lineup and takes on some of that role as a teacher for the team?s younger players.

He doesn?t mind. In fact, he?s embraced the idea.

?Kimo?s a stud,? said Keisel. ?He taught me a lot about this position and this game and about how to play defensive line here and I really appreciate him.?

That?s why it was difficult for both men when the Steelers were negotiating with both during this offseason. Von Oelhoffen signed with the New York Jets and seemingly minutes later, the Steelers announced they had agreed to a deal with Keisel.

?I don?t know what they were offering Kimo, but I talked to him that day, we were talking back and forth to see what was going on,? Keisel said. ?He called me and said, ?Hey man, I?m going to be a Jet.? I kind of had an idea that was going to happen.?

That ended what was an extremely tough time for Keisel.

?It was really stressful up to that point because I wanted to stay here, but you just didn?t know with the collective bargaining agreement the way it was and the way they kept on pushing things back,? he said. ?It was making it that much worse. When (Steelers negotiator) Omar (Khan) called me and we got on a conference call and we all came to agreement on this thing, I hung up the phone and I was just like, ?Man, I can?t believe it. This is what I worked so hard for, just to get this opportunity. Now it?s time to get to work and prove it.??

Just don?t expect anything too flashy from the always humble Keisel.

In fact, he hasn?t even really spent much of his new-found wealth yet.

?I?ve done some remodeling on my house, but I haven?t done anything extravagant yet, which is pretty boring,? Keisel said. ?I may go out and get a new ride or something like that, well see.?

And the league is going to see why the Steelers felt so comfortable giving a player who has never before started an NFL game more than $13 million.

?There?s a little more pressure, but that?s what this game is about,? Keisel said. ?There?s pressure every time you step on the field, even with special teams. If you don?t do your job, it?s going to show up on tape and it?s going to show up on the field. So there?s pressure every time. We?re used to playing with pressure.?

By: Dale Lolley
Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
Date: Jun 1, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: Firing up the Deisel.....

I meet his momma in a store in Houston Texas last year the day before the Texans game. Seemed like a real nice lady. Anyway great write up rep your way!!!!

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
I meet his momma in a store in Houston Texas last year the day before the Texans game.
Was she hot?
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Thats an inspirational story for all guys out there who get drafted late or not at all.

$13 million is alot of money for a guy who was a 7th round pick - just goes to show what a combination of good attitude, good coaching and a talented mentor can do for a rookie's prospects.

If Willie P makes some more headlines next year you have guys who were nobodies on draft day playing in two of the biggest impact positions on the team, outside of the QB.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Thats an inspirational story for all guys out there who get drafted late or not at all.

$13 million is alot of money for a guy who was a 7th round pick - just goes to show what a combination of good attitude, good coaching and a talented mentor can do for a rookie's prospects.

If Willie P makes some more headlines next year you have guys who were nobodies on draft day playing in two of the biggest impact positions on the team, outside of the QB.

NM
I agree! Kiesel can be an inspiration to everyone, hopefully guys like Kudla are watching!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
William Munney
Water Boy

Member Number: 2379

Kimo was very under rated. I really like Kiesel though. He's very athletic. My only question is he good enough against the run. Farrior and Foote behind the front three mixed a lot of tackles at certain parts of the season.

I think he'll get it done. The guy is a tweener like Vrable. He's a player, bottom line.
William Munney is offline   Reply With Quote