Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Notable Free Agents?

I doubt there's any chance we'd take a dip in another team's cookie jar, but which available FA's would you want on our team or have land in our practice squad?

My top 5:
1. Brandon Merriweather SS- A great backup to have in case Troy were to go down (knock on wood). Why the hell not? If anything you bring him in to learn every last bit of knowledge on that Patriot defense.
2. Crezdon Butler CB - this guy had a great first preseason and a decent 2nd preseason. I have no idea how you can cut a guy who runs for a 95 yard interception return in their last preseason game. So what if it hit him right in the chest. I've seen Gay drop those same balls. And its not like we're stacked with great talent at the CB position. What angers me the most is that WR from youtube is still on our team for no reason whatsoever

3. Thaddeus Gibson OLB- had a lot of talent at OSU and was cut due to a mere numbers game here. Would love to have him back since he's still PS eligible.
4. Lousaka Polite FB - This guy was awesome with the Dolphins. No versatility but he's a pure FB and can block better than David Johnson.
5. Dan Orlovsky QB - Superboel.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Notable Free Agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I doubt there's any chance we'd take a dip in another team's cookie jar, but which available FA's would you want on our team or have land in our practice squad?

My top 5:
1. Brandon Merriweather SS- A great backup to have in case Troy were to go down (knock on wood). Why the hell not? If anything you bring him in to learn every last bit of knowledge on that Patriot defense.
2. Crezdon Butler CB - this guy had a great first preseason and a decent 2nd preseason. I have no idea how you can cut a guy who runs for a 95 yard interception return in their last preseason game. So what if it hit him right in the chest. I've seen Gay drop those same balls. And its not like we're stacked with great talent at the CB position. What angers me the most is that WR from youtube is still on our team for no reason whatsoever

3. Thaddeus Gibson OLB- had a lot of talent at OSU and was cut due to a mere numbers game here. Would love to have him back since he's still PS eligible.
4. Lousaka Polite FB - This guy was awesome with the Dolphins. No versatility but he's a pure FB and can block better than David Johnson.
5. Dan Orlovsky QB - Superboel.
1. Yes. At Battle's expense. I'd prefer Gay to go, but that's not gonna happen.
2. Maybe. Practice Squad only.
3. No. I know you will fight this one to it's bloody end. But, no.
4. Polite. No.
5. Uhhhhh....no.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

DBs Shiloh Keo, Mark Legree, Josh Thomas, Korey Lindsey and Ahmad Black were all released today.

Also, not that we need him, but Sanders ol' running mate WR Aldrick Robinson was released as well.

I noticed that a lot of draft picks were released...product of the off-season issues perhaps??
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Running back Chris Ogbonnaya was released from the Texans. I think he should on the list.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

I'm surprised Polite was cut. That guy can block. From what I've heard Sparano wants to open it up more. He would decay on the Steelers bench with the lack of use a fullback gets in their system though.
sbbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

I wouldn't hate seeing Brandon Merriweather. Pretty much just because the Pats bring in every big time rivals players when they are cut.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Brandon Merriweather should get some big time money to be a starter somewhere. He made the pro-bowl last year. That's why I said on another post did this guy impregnate Belichick's daughter or something? I think the Jets will try to sign him just to steal a Patriot's player, and he would fit Rex Ryan's hard hitting defense.

How about former Pitt offensive lineman Mike McGlynn? Dump Chris Scott for him.

I would not be surprised if the Steelers do in fact sign someone from another team.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Meriweather signs with the Bears...

I'm really liking SS Chris Horton from the Redskins. He was pretty good when he started as a rookie 3 years ago in place of Landry.