Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Pit fan from Mass.
Water Boy

Member Number: 16943
Default Bens pass potential....

I was telling some of my buddies that i think Ben is going to have his best year in 2011. Im from Mass where everybody has a h@rd on for Brady and cant possibly accept that other QB's in the league are good, nevermind admit that some may actually be better in some ways.

anyways, Barring injuries, I think that with the new trust and talent we are getting out of our young WR's that Ben will throw a 4,600+ yard season with 32-35 td's and 10-13 interceptions. 9.5 yard avg and low 60's completion %. Am I too high on Ben and the offense this year or are others predicting a career season as well?

Please give me some feedback, and put your seatbelts on cause the season is right around the corner!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
BossAus
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18668
Default Re: Bens pass potential....

If our O-line can perform as well this year as last year, there is no reason he can't put up those stats. Really, it's almost gaudy how many good receiving options we have this year. I'm afraid Arians won't utilize them all though.
BossAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

The problem is, if Ben has a year like you are proposing, it likely means, as in 2009, that our defense can't get teams off the field and thus are having to play a shoot out type of game. I'd much prefer a season similar to last year (minus the 4 game suspension of course). Stats closer to 18-20 TDs, 8-9 Ints, 3200-3400 yds, would be preferable IMO. I'd much rather see the stats come from Mendy and Redman, 1400 yds and 300 yds, 10 and 8 TDs respectively.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy86 View Post
The problem is, if Ben has a year like you are proposing, it likely means, as in 2009, that our defense can't get teams off the field and thus are having to play a shoot out type of game. I'd much prefer a season similar to last year (minus the 4 game suspension of course). Stats closer to 18-20 TDs, 8-9 Ints, 3200-3400 yds, would be preferable IMO. I'd much rather see the stats come from Mendy and Redman, 1400 yds and 300 yds, 10 and 8 TDs respectively.
exactly
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Pit fan from Mass.
Water Boy

Quote:
Or it could simply mean that our passing offense is more efficient. lets say our defense was as good as last year and gives our Offense the ball back reletively quickly. If our offense could get one more 3-5 minute drive per game and one less 3 and out per game that could mean a total difference in stats. what if we are more efficient in the redzone? that could very well mean an exrtra pass TD per game or so.

Look at San Diego last year. I believe they had the number 1 offense and number 1 defense. teams can have success on both sides of the ball.

I think this year our pass offense will be high powered for about 2 - 2 1/2 quarters of every game and start to wind down with heavy running and the occasional deep play action pass just to break the opposing teams spirits.

Last edited by Pit fan from Mass.; 09-05-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Pit fan from Mass. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
rocckbottomxmen
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18105

Quote:
I got a feeling we will be in only one shoot out and thats with the patriots. And we win that one. On the other games I see the offense getting a lead and then we (wait for it) go to the run game. You heard hear first
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Pit fan from Mass.
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy86

if Ben played all 16 games last season at the same pace he played the 12, he would have thrown for 4,267 yards. For him to reach 4,600 yards hed have to throw for 21 more yards a game.

For ben to throw the 32-35 td mark thats 2.2 td's a game

Are you seriously thinking that with this crew and schedule that wont be happening?

Good Defense or not, I think these are plausible.

Last edited by Pit fan from Mass.; 09-05-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: im dumb
Pit fan from Mass. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit fan from Mass. View Post
Or it could simply mean that our passing offense is more efficient. lets say our defense was as good as last year and gives our Offense the ball back reletively quickly. If our offense could get one more 3-5 minute drive per game and one less 3 and out per game that could mean a total difference in stats. what if we are more efficient in the redzone? that could very well mean an exrtra pass TD per game or so.

Look at San Diego last year. I believe they had the number 1 offense and number 1 defense. teams can have success on both sides of the ball.

I think this year our pass offense will be high powered for about 2 - 2 1/2 quarters of every game and start to wind down with heavy running and the occasional deep play action pass just to break the opposing teams spirits.
Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see Ben have a year like that just because he can, but the mentality typically is that we maintain a conservative game plan unless required to keep up. Until we completely overhaul our coaching staff (which I am NOT advocating), we will not run that type of offense.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Pit fan from Mass.
Water Boy

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see Ben have a year like that just because he can, but the mentality typically is that we maintain a conservative game plan unless required to keep up. Until we completely overhaul our coaching staff (which I am NOT advocating), we will not run that type of offense.
VERY TRUE! its bitter sweet though.

Sweet because i love a good game, Bitter cause the suspense takes a year off of my life every season. Im guessing this will be my last year on earth.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I see us playing a lot of younger guys because we jump out early and our D can hold teams to fewer points.
As pointed out here Ben is getting rid of the ball faster and since we have a ton of speed at WR we should be introducing opposing teams to our young players that are the future. Guys like Brown,Sanders and Redman on one side and others like Sylvester, Heyward and Lewis on the other side.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote