Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Broken beak is Ben's badge of Baltimore courage

Cook: Broken beak is Ben's badge of Baltimore courage
Friday, September 09, 2011
By Ron Cook , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is helped off the field after his nose was broken from a punch by the Ravens' Haloti Ngata last season.

View all related images

By now, you might have heard Ben Roethlisberger plays pretty well against the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers have won seven games in a row in the contentious series with Big Ben at quarterback, including postseason wins last season and in 2008. They'll try to make it eight Sunday afternoon in Baltimore.

You probably also know some of Roethlisberger's signature moments against the Ravens. His five first-half touchdown passes and perfect 158.3 passer rating at Heinz Field in 2007. His winning 4-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 43 seconds left at M&T Bank Stadium in '08. His 65-yard touchdown pass to Holmes in the AFC championship game at Heinz Field that same season. His winning 9-yard touchdown pass to Isaac Redman with 2:59 left at M&T Bank Stadium last season. The comeback he led from a 21-7 halftime deficit in a divisional playoff game at Heinz Field last season. His 58-yard pass to Antonio Brown to set up the winning touchdown in that game.

But you'll never guess the career highlight Roethlisberger most cherishes against the Ravens.

Would you believe it's his broken nose in the game in Baltimore last season?
"That was no fun, I can tell you that," Roethlisberger said during a quiet moment after practice this week. "It's hard enough playing those guys anytime, but it's really hard playing 'em when you can't breathe."

No, it wasn't fun -- Roethlisberger said doctors told him his nose "looked like corn flakes" -- but it surely was significant to him. He was clubbed in the face by Ravens nose tackle Haloti Ngata early in the game. Ngata wasn't penalized on the play -- further proof to a lot of Steelers people that the NFL really isn't as interested in protecting Roethlisberger as it is the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings -- although he was fined $15,000 the next day about the same time Roethlisberger was having surgery.

"What makes me smile about that is I know people from Homestead, McKeesport, places all over the city ... real Steelers fans everywhere were watching and saw the blood all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "I hope they said, 'That's our guy. He's one of us. He never came out. He never quit. He's pretty tough.' "

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Broken beak is Ben's badge of Baltimore courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
"What makes me smile about that is I know people from Homestead, McKeesport, places all over the city ... real Steelers fans everywhere were watching and saw the blood all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "I hope they said, 'That's our guy. He's one of us. He never came out. He never quit. He's pretty tough.' "
That basically sums it up for me. This league has 31 teams that start frail little boys as their QBs. The Steelers have a football player who happens to throw the ball very well.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

U talkin to me?????

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

Too bad he got his nose broken I did not like seeing that. But Ben didn't do all that great in the game. The Steelers scored more in their Ravens home game without him last year than they did with him in Baltimore. The Ravens had that Baltimore game won until the very end. Sunday they will not let up I expect them to win.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
Too bad he got his nose broken I did not like seeing that. But Ben didn't do all that great in the game. The Steelers scored more in their Ravens home game without him last year than they did with him in Baltimore. The Ravens had that Baltimore game won until the very end. Sunday they will not let up I expect them to win.
Ben had a whopping 13 yards less than Flacco...so I guess he didn't do too great in that game either lol.

I'd like to point out too, that Batch had under 150 yards in the first game...It was Mendenhall that scored both TDs.

This thread is not about the Ravens game this week though, nor was it about any particular game last season...so quit trying to make it about that.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,265 Times in 3,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
The Ravens had that Baltimore game won until the very end..
This is true - but in Baltimore no lead is safe with Joe "Come From Ahead" Flacco at QB
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Well too bad they only hand out W's to the team that's winning when the clock is at 00:00.

Maybe the Ravens should get a consolation prize for "having the game won until..." something like a big giant fowl with a tear in it's eye that repeats ad naseum "I... I... I thought we had them ..."
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Does the trolling jackass have to hijack every damn thread with his bullshit?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This is true - but in Baltimore no lead is safe with Joe "Come From Ahead" Flacco at QB
Tell that to the Heinz field crowd which went home disappointed last year after Flacco led the Ravens to a dramatic last minute game winning TD in Pittsburgh.

Look everyone knows it took heart for Ben to keep playing with a broken nose. But that was a low scoring game and if he had been taken out the Steelers still may have won, maybe even by more points. It's not like he led the Steelers to 40 points or threw for 300 yards in that game.

The key play was the Troy P. blind side hit on Flacco that caused a fumble with the Ravens having the lead near the end of the game. and Ben obviously had nothing to do with that play.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,175 Times in 3,487 Posts

maybe this game woodley will break flacco's nose and when he leaves crying to the bench crying, everyone will be assured he had nothing to do with yet another epic loss.

its gonna be great!