Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
dawson36
Water Boy

Member Number: 2368
Default how do you think our running game is gunna be?

what do you guys think our running game will be like this year? without the BUS.

i think we will do okay but the BUS was a good assest to our team he made good plays and stuff and was strong and big he could go through the middle and bang the shit outta people. but now we have the speed and we can get on the outside. so idk

give me your opinions thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: how do you think our running game is gunna be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson36
what do you guys think our running game will be like this year? without the BUS.

i think we will do okay but the BUS was a good assest to our team he made good plays and stuff and was strong and big he could go through the middle and bang the shit outta people. but now we have the speed and we can get on the outside. so idk

give me your opinions thanks
Our running game will be like last years running game only better. The main two reasons the offense line has had a whole year to play together. Last year Max Starks was first time starter and Kendall Simmons was coming back from injury. So the right side of our offensive line was different from the 2004 version were Oliver Ross was starting at RT and Keydrick Vincent was starting at RG when Simmons went down in training camp with a torn ACL. So that fact alone should make our running game better.

My other reason Willie Parker has a year of starting under his belt now. He should be only better this year and will be more cormfortable letting his natural instincts take over. I think at times last year Parker was thinking to much. Which is natural for a young inexperienced player.

Now don't get me wrong if Staley can't stay healthy and can't take over the
Bus role then its up to Verron Haynes. That could effect our running game. But if one of those guys can play the Bettis role then I expect our running game to be the same or even better then last years.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
dawson36
Water Boy

Member Number: 2368

who do you think will run the ball most PARKER or STALEY?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson36
who do you think will run the ball most PARKER or STALEY?
Well Parker like last year. Willie the starter. Staley will be in the Jerome Bettis role this year. Verron Haynes will be the third down back. If Staley can't stay healthy or is ineffective then its up Haynes to fill the Bettis role. If Haynes can't do it then who maybe Cedric Humes. But I'm more then confident that Staley and Haynes can step up and Willie Parker will be better then last year. No worries about the running game for me. We will be just fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I totally agree with the above. I think Verron is a very good back, am looking forward to the pre-season to see him get more touches. He broke some great runs last year.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
GoFor6
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2352

The person who replaces Bettis will be the one that Cowher is most convinced will produce the most non-negative runs. The role is to get 2 to 3 yards but more importantly not to lose any yards - Jerome was great at that. A negative run on 3rd and short can be a major momemtum shift and Cowher hates momemtum shift. I am betting on Verron to be the man - he has the foot work to avoid the negative yards.
GoFor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Not to step on anyones toes but you all are right and you all are wrong for not hitting the #1 answer for why our run game will be better; which is our pass game will be better. Ben will have better targets with a 2nd year Big bad Heath Miller guys fighting hard for the 2nd and 3rd spot on the team Ben will have another year of learning under his belt so the pass game will be very good, which does what? doesnt let you cheat the run stop defense. Now i am not saying Fast Willie and boys wont be tearing it up on their own they will just have help and our o-line in the run block mode is the best in the NFL.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Not to step on anyones toes but you all are right and you all are wrong for not hitting the #1 answer for why our run game will be better; which is our pass game will be better. Ben will have better targets with a 2nd year Big bad Heath Miller guys fighting hard for the 2nd and 3rd spot on the team Ben will have another year of learning under his belt so the pass game will be very good, which does what? doesnt let you cheat the run stop defense. Now i am not saying Fast Willie and boys wont be tearing it up on their own they will just have help and our o-line in the run block mode is the best in the NFL.
Very good post and thats true. Our whole offense will be much better and more dangerous in 2006. The biggest reason the offense will be better is our QB will be in his third year. The third year for a QB is really when a QB starts to show major improvement.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
sheba

Member Number:

I think it will almost the same with out the bus.with all that he taught Willie. But it will be harder to get those 1,2,or3 yard TD runs.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
William Munney
Water Boy

Member Number: 2379

I think the Steelers will be fine. Willie one year as a starter under his belt. Verron and Duce will back him. Lots of depth. Big Ben will be in his third year as a starter with a lot of weapons. This O is going to be scary...
William Munney is offline   Reply With Quote