Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful
Default The beginning of the end for this corp group...

I had a feeling going into this year that this team would have a very off year. Today's result was an emphatic exclamation point to my thoughts about this team.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the beginning of the end for this corp group of players and coaches.

It starts with the defense. Like their coach, they are finally too old and it shows. Even Troy looks old. They look old and slow. Flacco had all day to pass and there was never even a sniff of pressure on him. Poor personnel decisions have finally caught up to this team. The best before due date has long passed and they rode it out as they could but now the rest of the league has caught up to them and they will have a generally unimpressive campaign this year.

As for the offense, the stupid decisions over the years for the receiving corps has finally caught up to them as well. A trio of slight wideouts and an aging #86 ain't going to cut it. Wallace is a good burner but doesn't have the physical grace that a receiver needs. He also doesn't have the hands either. Sanders and Brown are both solid third receivers but they are far too diminutive and also lack natural high quality receiving ability. It will take some time to develop these athletes and by then they'll be calling for a bigger pay cheque and then the Steelers will let them walk like they always do. Throwing away Plex and Holmes will haunt this team for some time as they think about what could've been in the Ben era.

As for Ben, his lack of natural ability to make the quick read and his inherent cavalier and near disrespectful attitude about protecting the ball has caught up to him as well. The league has caught up to his patterns of play. He will never be as great as I thought he could've been and he will likely suffer a crippling injury by week 5 which will cause him to miss 4 to 5 games. The reason for this will be because he only knows how to play one way and though his courage is admirable at times it will also lead to his downfall. He will be another Brett Favre who will both amaze you with his brilliance and stupidity. The fact that there has never been an O coordinator or coach to reign his bad habits in will also lead to a fading career. He will be remembered as a good QB who fluked out one SB win and won another against an inferior opponent. He will never win the big one again.

This will be the beginning of the lean years. The window of opportunity has started to close. Let's hope that management can see the writing on the wall and start to trade and get active for once in the free agent market. Or they could just wait three to seven years for draft picks to hopefully pan out.

With the schedule this could be a winning year. But even a plus 500 record will truly be masking all the deficiencies of this club. I can see them battling for a wildcard but in the end the lack of talent in key positions along with stubborn coaching will be their undoing.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: The beginning of the end for this corp group...

Plex is an idiot and I'm glad he's not here (look at any interview he's done since being released from prison)

I am shocked by the lack of effort by the guys that are normally the backbone of our D. A Smith and Keisel. I hope it isnt age and just the fact that the defense was on the field the whole game.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

cool story bro.

I'll bump this when we are 12-4 and in the playoffs.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

You can't be serious right now.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

I'm with you on the defense...but your criticisms of a receiving group that has gotten univeral praise by NFL talking heads is simply ridiculous. The problem with the offense has been, and still is, the offensive line. I'd take this group of receivers over 95% of the NFL teams out there.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,152 Posts

One game doesn't make a season!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739

I'm a Ravens fan and I can't even agree with all that, but it was very well written.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Melodrama much?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Crappy

The fact is that last season the Steelers defensive weakness(the secondary) was shown to the world on the big stage, instead of going into the draft and correcting our needs of secondary and o-line we squandered their picks on other positions.Anyone that believes that this is a one game thing needs to pull their head out of their a**!
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
The fact is that last season the Steelers defensive weakness(the secondary) was shown to the world on the big stage, instead of going into the draft and correcting our needs of secondary and o-line we squandered their picks on other positions.Anyone that believes that this is a one game thing needs to pull their head out of their a**!
We spend three of our top four picks on the secondary and o-line. But don't let the facts get in the way of your theory.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote