Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Some Interesting Steelers Stats

I'm bored so I thought I would share some interesting Steelers stats with you all. Lets start with some RB's stats.

The Steelers have had two RB's in their history to rush for 200 or more yards in a single game. But not one of them were Franco Harris or Jerome "The Bus" Bettis. Thats kind of suprising since Harris and Bettis are the top two leading rushers in Steelers history alltime.

John "Frenchy" Fuqua rushed for the most yards in a single game for the Steelers with 218 yards against the Eagles during the 1970 season.

John Henry Johnson has the second most with exactly 200 yards. He did that against the Browns during the 1964 season.

The Top 5 rushing performances in a single game for the Steelers.

1. John "Frenchy" Fuqua-218
2. John Henry Johnson-200
3. Barry Foster-190
4. John Henry Johnson-182
5. Barry Foster and Franco Harris-179

So between Harris and Bettis they have one spot in the top five for most rushing yards in a single game for the Steelers. John Henry Johnson who was a powerful back in the 1960's for the Steelers has two of the top five. Barry Foster who holds the Steelers record for most rushing yards in season with 1,690 also has two of the top five.

Franco Harris holds the Steelers record with 91 career rushing TD's. Jerome Bettis is number 2 with 78. No suprise there. But the next two on the list are QB's. Now I found that suprising. Kordell Stewart is number three with 37. Terry Bradshaw is number 4 with 32.

Top Five leaders for most career rushing TD's for the Steelers

1. Franco Harris-91
2. Jerome Bettis-78
3. Kordell Stewart-37
4. Terry Bradshaw-32
5. John Henry Johnson and Barry Foster-26

Now lets switch to the QB's.

Tommy Maddox holds the record for most career 300 yard passing games with 6. Neil O'Donnell is second with 5. Ben currently has two in his young career. So hopefully he throws alittle more and moves passed these two chumps. Terry by the way had 4 in his career.

With the 386 yards Ben Roethlisberger passed for against the Bengals in the second Bengals game last year put him number 3 in the Steelers history with most passing yards in a single game. With that performance it knocked Terry out of the top five.

The top five

1. Tommy Maddox-473 (The game went into overtime)
2. Bobby Layne-409
3. Ben Roethlisberger-386
4. Neil O'Donnell-377
5. Mark Malone-374

The Steelers have had two QB's throw five TD's in a game. One is Terry Bradshaw the other is Mark Malone. That was suprising to me to see Mark Malone. Tommy Maddox was the last Steelers QB to throw for 4 TD's in a game. The overtime game against the Falcons.

Now lets switch to the recievers.

John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and Hines Ward are the three greatest recievers in Steelers history but you won't find them among the top five for most recieving yards in a single game. The top five

1. Plax Burress-253 (The Atlanta overtime game that ended in a tie)
2. Buddy Dial-235
3. Jimmy Orr-205
4. Elbie Nickel-202
5. Roy Jefferson-199

Yancey Thigpen is the only Steelers reciever to have two 1300 yard recieveing seasons for the Steelers. The top five

1. Yancey Thigpen- 1,398
2. John Stallworth- 1,395
3. Hines Ward- 1,329
4. Plax Burress- 1,325
5. Yancey Thigpen- 1,307

Roy Jefferson hold the Steelers record with most TD's caught in a single game with 4. He did that back in 1968 against the Falcons.

Thats all for now.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Some Interesting Steelers Stats

It seems our so called big-time players aka Hall of Famers, were on such great teams, that they could sit late in games. Not to mention players like Harris actually split carries most of his career, imagine if got all the touches. Plus Steelers football has always been defense first. We have won many games thanks to our great defenses. I look at some of the stats youve pulled up and the great individual performances were at times when our team wasn`t that good. With the exception of Maddoxs huge game, thats when I really thought that we finally had a QB that could bring us back from a deficit, something that we hadn`t had in years, it was always just do what you need to ddo to keep us in the game, and dont make mistakes.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
It seems our so called big-time players aka Hall of Famers, were on such great teams, that they could sit late in games. Not to mention players like Harris actually split carries most of his career, imagine if got all the touches. Plus Steelers football has always been defense first. We have won many games thanks to our great defenses. I look at some of the stats youve pulled up and the great individual performances were at times when our team wasn`t that good. With the exception of Maddoxs huge game, thats when I really thought that we finally had a QB that could bring us back from a deficit, something that we hadn`t had in years, it was always just do what you need to ddo to keep us in the game, and dont make mistakes.
Yea Franco did spilt alot of carries with Rocky. Then you had two great recievers in Stallworth and Swann and only one football to throw to them. They took stats away from each other as well. Plus the Steelers ran the ball 60 percent of the time in the 1970's. I wasn't knocking our great Hall of Famers. I just find some of those stats interesting.

Tommy Maddox had a magical season in 2002 no doubt. Its kind of shame things soured for him so quickly. Ok not really since we ended up with Ben. But alot of Steelers fans thought Maddox was finally the answer for our QB situation. I had mixed views on Tommy. I thought we should let him start until he proved uneffective but even the success he had in 2002 I wanted the Steelers to draft a young guy to groom as our future starter.

Anyways thanks man. I'm a stat geek so I'm always digging up stats.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

wow almost 500 passing yards in a game...whats the most passing yards in a single game by ANY QB?
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

The late and Rams great Norm Van Brocklin passed for 554 yards in a game against the New York Yanks on Sept. 28, 1951. Brocklin also was the QB when the Eagles last won their last NFL championship in 1960.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Love the post B&GF32!

Im a big fan of anything with stats, facts and figures -which probably makes me a geek too!

I was going to say I was surprises that the highest amount of rushing yards for a season was only 1670 - but I guess its the the fact that the great Steeler RB's of yesteryear only had a 14 game schedule to compile their stats that meant they didnt break 1200 on a regular basis.

Being a stat geek yourself I am sure you will be aware of this website.

http://www.databasefootball.com/play...kid=HARRIFRA01

Its great for the historical stats, that you can't get from NFL.com.

Franco Harris was amazingly consitent around the 1100 yard mark for the first 12 of his 13 seasons in the NFL, but another stat that stuck out was how much of a one season wonder Barry Foster was - he barely managed to run for half the yardage of that record breaking season at any other stage of his career.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Love the post B&GF32!

Im a big fan of anything with stats, facts and figures -which probably makes me a geek too!

I was going to say I was surprises that the highest amount of rushing yards for a season was only 1670 - but I guess its the the fact that the great Steeler RB's of yesteryear only had a 14 game schedule to compile their stats that meant they didnt break 1200 on a regular basis.

Being a stat geek yourself I am sure you will be aware of this website.

http://www.databasefootball.com/play...kid=HARRIFRA01

Its great for the historical stats, that you can't get from NFL.com.

Franco Harris was amazingly consitent around the 1100 yard mark for the first 12 of his 13 seasons in the NFL, but another stat that stuck out was how much of a one season wonder Barry Foster was - he barely managed to run for half the yardage of that record breaking season at any other stage of his career.

NM
Thanks man. My Uncles have called me the statman since I was little. I'm even better in baseball when it comes to stats. But football is my favorite sport. Franco was very consistent in his career. Plus he shared carries with Rocky Blier in the 1970's. Yes Barry Foster had that one big year. I think that was the only 1,000 yard season in his career. But he did set the Steelers single season record that year with 1,690 in 1992. I remember that year very well. Foster was great that year. His ego and injuries ruined the rest of his Steelers career.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Tight end?

I see maybe only one change in the Top 5's.

Ben should have one game with over 386 if not over 400 yards. I get the sense he'll have one eruption.

Maybe Hines gets another 1300 yd season but I doubt it. He is not a secret anymore. And I don't see Willie getting over 150 too many times let alone 179. But two marathon runs in one game could move him into No. 5 - perhaps not so unlikely.

I'm going through NFL withdraw too BnG32. (This year TiVO will replace my girlfriend ) But if you are really really bored then post another Top 5 for the one position you left out...tight end.

That Top 5 list will be turned upside down, inside out, chewed up and spit out by Heath Miller.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Smile Re: Some Interesting Steelers Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I'm bored so I thought I would share some interesting Steelers stats with you all. Lets start with some RB's stats.

The Steelers have had two RB's in their history to rush for 200 or more yards in a single game. But not one of them were Franco Harris or Jerome "The Bus" Bettis. Thats kind of suprising since Harris and Bettis are the top two leading rushers in Steelers history alltime.

John "Frenchy" Fuqua rushed for the most yards in a single game for the Steelers with 218 yards against the Eagles during the 1970 season.

John Henry Johnson has the second most with exactly 200 yards. He did that against the Browns during the 1964 season.

The Top 5 rushing performances in a single game for the Steelers.

1. John "Frenchy" Fuqua-218
2. John Henry Johnson-200
3. Barry Foster-190
4. John Henry Johnson-182
5. Barry Foster and Franco Harris-179

So between Harris and Bettis they have one spot in the top five for most rushing yards in a single game for the Steelers. John Henry Johnson who was a powerful back in the 1960's for the Steelers has two of the top five. Barry Foster who holds the Steelers record for most rushing yards in season with 1,690 also has two of the top five.

Franco Harris holds the Steelers record with 91 career rushing TD's. Jerome Bettis is number 2 with 78. No suprise there. But the next two on the list are QB's. Now I found that suprising. Kordell Stewart is number three with 37. Terry Bradshaw is number 4 with 32.

Top Five leaders for most career rushing TD's for the Steelers

1. Franco Harris-91
2. Jerome Bettis-78
3. Kordell Stewart-37
4. Terry Bradshaw-32
5. John Henry Johnson and Barry Foster-26

Now lets switch to the QB's.

Tommy Maddox holds the record for most career 300 yard passing games with 6. Neil O'Donnell is second with 5. Ben currently has two in his young career. So hopefully he throws alittle more and moves passed these two chumps. Terry by the way had 4 in his career.

With the 386 yards Ben Roethlisberger passed for against the Bengals in the second Bengals game last year put him number 3 in the Steelers history with most passing yards in a single game. With that performance it knocked Terry out of the top five.

The top five

1. Tommy Maddox-473 (The game went into overtime)
2. Bobby Layne-409
3. Ben Roethlisberger-386
4. Neil O'Donnell-377
5. Mark Malone-374

The Steelers have had two QB's throw five TD's in a game. One is Terry Bradshaw the other is Mark Malone. That was suprising to me to see Mark Malone. Tommy Maddox was the last Steelers QB to throw for 4 TD's in a game. The overtime game against the Falcons.

Now lets switch to the recievers.

John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and Hines Ward are the three greatest recievers in Steelers history but you won't find them among the top five for most recieving yards in a single game. The top five

1. Plax Burress-253 (The Atlanta overtime game that ended in a tie)
2. Buddy Dial-235
3. Jimmy Orr-205
4. Elbie Nickel-202
5. Roy Jefferson-199

Yancey Thigpen is the only Steelers reciever to have two 1300 yard recieveing seasons for the Steelers. The top five

1. Yancey Thigpen- 1,398
2. John Stallworth- 1,395
3. Hines Ward- 1,329
4. Plax Burress- 1,325
5. Yancey Thigpen- 1,307

Roy Jefferson hold the Steelers record with most TD's caught in a single game with 4. He did that back in 1968 against the Falcons.

Thats all for now.
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for putting things like this, so the late commers like me can appreciate more what we got into
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Thats some pretty cool stats bud...alot of stuff that I didnt know...
God Bless
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote