Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Farrior finds himself sidelined in favor of Foote

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Is there really any difference? It's like 1a and 1b
More like 2a and 4b on most teams.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Putting Foote in instead of Sylvester is a boneheaded move. You can't make me believe that Sylvester would be that bad. He might make some mistakes but you can't learn if you are not on the field. I am sure he is much faster than Slow of Foote who never should have been brought back. And Tomlin's thing about giving Mewelde Moore playing time over Redman is just plain stupid. Moore is done.
Agreed ...You can't learn on the bench...The brass doesn't feel that way!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Yesterday was a reall head scratcher for me in a lot of ways. Farrior is the epitome of Steelers football, But at times he has struggles the last couple of years, especially incoverage. he struggled yesterday but as much as I like Foote, Sylvester should have been there. Same on the line, Heyward and Hood should have seen a helluva lot more time on the field. Not to mention Allen and Lewis in the backend.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
effyou515
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18713

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Foote I would say is a downgrade to Farrior. The middle was so weak, Rice and Williams walked through it at will, it was as if nobody was there. We should put Sylvester in for Farrior, Hood in for Smith, and rotate Heyward and Keisel. That's a few things we should start with and see how it goes.

with Keenan Lewis and Curtis Brown rotating with Gay and Mcfadden.

Gilbert and Scott rotating at LT bring back Hills can't be any worse then Legursky at RG or bring back Adams and move Colon to RG.
effyou515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

we can't bring back hills, I think denver picked him up and signed him to a 2 year contract.

adams is a possibility still.

agree with lewis. I do not know why mcfadden was given the start. he hasn't practiced all offseason because he's been injured, they expect him to play at a pro level despite that? lewis would do a much better job. curtis brown should know enough of the defense by midseason to contribute in the nickel and maybe rotate with gay
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Kind of sums up my feelings on this...

-------------------------------------------

Farrior done wrong?

September 11th, 2011

BALTIMORE — Mike Tomlin is widely considered one of the better player’s coaches in the NFL.

Tomlin has a reputation of relating to his players in a fashion to get them to play hard because of his honesty, straight-forwardness and his no-nonsense approach — all attributes that players love.

Saying that, Tomlin is doing wrong with the most influential player on the Steelers’ defense.

Tomlin made the decision to remove veteran linebacker James Farrior for the final two series of the first half of Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Ravens because what he said afterwards was because “we had made a commitment to play Larry Foote some.”

Huh?

At any other position, I’d buy that as a logical reason. At cornerback, I’d buy that reason.

But when you are talking about the unquestioned leader of your defense; the eight-time defensive captain; and the all-around most-respected person on the Steelers’ roster, it’s hogwash.

Farrior deserves better.

“I’m healthy and everything is fine,” disappointed Farrior said afterward.

But obviously everything isn’t fine … or should I say won’t be fine.

For Tomlin to make a drastic decision to remove Farrior for series at a time, there’s a problem, and that problem may get worse before it gets better.

Foote has no way surpassed Farrior in quality of play on the field. Off the field, Farrior is invaluable.

Just think, a guy like Farrior is replaced because of his decline while William Gay and Bryant McFadden remain on the field.

I’d be shaking my head if I was Farrior.

The Steelers were trailing just 14-7 at the time of Farrior’s removal in the second quarter, and the Ravens quickly went on an 11-play drive that resulted in a touchdown. Foote missed a tackle and covered the wrong guy on a play, but that’s beside the point.

Well, maybe that is the point. Foote is a backup for a reason.

More here...http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...nemdn0.twitter
I don't agree with any of that. Farrior is not the player he was 3 years ago and he'd be the first to admit that. Reducing his playing time is not the worst idea at this point. Foote was never as good as Farrior in his prime, but he is now. He's always been better than most Steeler fans give him credit for. Not everyone in the league can be a pro bowler, you have to have some serviceable players and Foote has always been exactly that. Capable and qualified has to be good enough for the majority of any football team. We have more than our share of high end talent.

No one is going to get upset because Larry Foote is getting some playing time, at least no one on the team, not Farrior or anyone else.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Maybe Sly should be getting some of those snaps? I am writing an article asking the same question. The Steelers need better instincts and speed...things that Sly has.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtrout View Post
I don't agree with any of that. Farrior is not the player he was 3 years ago and he'd be the first to admit that. Reducing his playing time is not the worst idea at this point. Foote was never as good as Farrior in his prime, but he is now. He's always been better than most Steeler fans give him credit for. Not everyone in the league can be a pro bowler, you have to have some serviceable players and Foote has always been exactly that. Capable and qualified has to be good enough for the majority of any football team. We have more than our share of high end talent.

No one is going to get upset because Larry Foote is getting some playing time, at least no one on the team, not Farrior or anyone else.
granted it was written by a baltimore sports writer, what he wants is farrior to be on the field as long as possible, lol. hey that's just guaranteeing ray rice will gouge us every time we play
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
Maybe Sly should be getting some of those snaps? I am writing an article asking the same question. The Steelers need better instincts and speed...things that Sly has.
Maybe. Speed is nice, but very overrated when it comes to football. The hall of fame is littered with busts of players that weren't as fast as their backups or their counterparts. No one ever accused Jack Lambert of being fleet of foot.

As for instincts, ok, if you say so. I'm not sure how you know that, but I don't think you can base it on some preseason snaps or how good he was in college. The coaching staff, specifically, Tomlin, LeBeau, and Butler have determined that Foote and Farrior are the better options right now. That's a tough group to outthink when it comes to linebackers.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/...-footesly.html