Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679
Default Re: Steelers not really upset about Superbowl loss?

I find it incredulous that some on here are blaming this loss on "failure to adapt" to the "blueprint" unveiled by the Patriots and Packers.

The Ravens certainly did not follow that blueprint, they ran it down our throat and Flacco made pin point passes when he needed to. This wasn't a spread-lead offense. Hell, several of Flacco's big plays were check down and TE leaks.

Yea the defense was putrid, but worse than the typical soft secondary.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
I find it incredulous that some on here are blaming this loss on "failure to adapt" to the "blueprint" unveiled by the Patriots and Packers.

The Ravens certainly did not follow that blueprint, they ran it down our throat and Flacco made pin point passes when he needed to. This wasn't a spread-lead offense. Hell, several of Flacco's big plays were check down and TE leaks.

Yea the defense was putrid, but worse than the typical soft secondary.
I think you need to look at the game more closely-- Flacco did not make "pinpoint passes when he needed to"-- they took a page out of the Patriots playbook and spread our defense out and starting picking on the weaknesses in our coverage-- i.e. McFadden, Farrior, and Gay.

They used Lee Evans' speed to deepen the field and only threw the ball 3 times in his direction. His sole purpose in their scheme yesterday was to keep Ike Taylor and Polamalu occupied in deep coverage while they work to exploit the weaknesses in our short to moderate passing defense.

The reason Rice had the whole middle of the field to work with is because they succedded in spreading our defense too thin to make stops in the middle (helps when Foote/Farrior try to tackle with one arm).

And you can bet your money that we will be seeing teams try to run that very same offense against us each week until the Steelers demonstrate to the rest of the league that they can stop it.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

I agree 100% Riddle. Especially the teams with the right personnel will definitely spread us out. I said this in another post but I think the lack of creative scheme on both sides of the ball are gonna kill us this season. The coaches mindsets are that we were just in the SuperBowl so no creative change is necessary but you better believe that teams are looking at the Pats, Packers and more recent ravens game film against us!! When you have guys that cant cover then we are gonna be picked apart. Its obvious polamalu's role has changed. No more of him roaming the field but more to help in coverage...If teams do this to us then we will slowly see his stats decline.
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler4life1972 View Post
I agree 100% Riddle. Especially the teams with the right personnel will definitely spread us out. I said this in another post but I think the lack of creative scheme on both sides of the ball are gonna kill us this season. The coaches mindsets are that we were just in the SuperBowl so no creative change is necessary but you better believe that teams are looking at the Pats, Packers and more recent ravens game film against us!! When you have guys that cant cover then we are gonna be picked apart. Its obvious polamalu's role has changed. No more of him roaming the field but more to help in coverage...If teams do this to us then we will slowly see his stats decline.
I agree, they played a lot like the Pats and Packers played us. We have to give these younger corners a shot instead of McFadden and Gay. Ike was a complete shut down corner against Lee Evans, we just have to address the #2 and #3 corner's. These rookie corners and 2nd year corners couldn't do any worse. If they can come in and actually cover some receivers, and we can get a pass rush, then we will do pretty decent against the pass. But until we change our defensive game plan vs really good passing teams like the Packers and especially the Pats, we won't beat them.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I think you need to look at the game more closely-- Flacco did not make "pinpoint passes when he needed to"-- they took a page out of the Patriots playbook and spread our defense out and starting picking on the weaknesses in our coverage-- i.e. McFadden, Farrior, and Gay.

They used Lee Evans' speed to deepen the field and only threw the ball 3 times in his direction. His sole purpose in their scheme yesterday was to keep Ike Taylor and Polamalu occupied in deep coverage while they work to exploit the weaknesses in our short to moderate passing defense.

The reason Rice had the whole middle of the field to work with is because they succedded in spreading our defense too thin to make stops in the middle (helps when Foote/Farrior try to tackle with one arm).

And you can bet your money that we will be seeing teams try to run that very same offense against us each week until the Steelers demonstrate to the rest of the league that they can stop it.
Flacco did indeed make pinpoint passes when he needed to. The opening drive he threw a great ball to Boldin who was well covered. The next drive a big play was called back due to holding that he threw to the TE, also in tight coverage. The other 2 touchdowns weren't covered well, but perhaps I misrepresent my point, which is Flacco didn't play a Bradyesque or Rodgersesque game---not even a Cutleresque one against us, dare I say.

Yes, this was not a repeat of the patriots game, where the Pats used the pass to set up the run, or a repeat of the Saints or Packers games last year, where they didn't bother running at all. The Steelers got gouged on the line of scrimmage, gave up a couple big runs and a lot more unsatisfactory ones. Even on "good" plays we were giving up 3-3.5 a run in the first half. The run D didn't seem as bad in the second half but by then the damage was done.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

If the Steelers do not solve this spead offense problem, they will not make the playoffs this year.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
...Harbaugh's fatal flaw. Harbaugh revealed all his cards. Just to show you how big of an Ass Harbaugh was, he went for it on 4th and 1 instead of going for the field goal that would have put the Ravens up by 4 scores. Harbaugh was trying to run up the score. He wanted it 50 to 7. So what? To stroke his oversized ego. Would such a shellacking have made a difference to last year’s AFC divisional playoff? No. This is why Harbaugh won’t win the big games. A wise coach would have backed off the gas after going up 29-7 and gone vanilla. I've shown you my tricks, but I've got plenty more for our next meeting. Harbaugh never backed off. I'm hoping that comes back to haunt him in the next meeting and perhaps in the playoffs. The Steelers will not get burned again.

Pretty good rant overall, but if you think Harbaugh showed all his cards, or tried to run up the score, you're being foolish.

I will say that playing the Steelers in game one was an advantage for the Ravens. They had the entire pre-season to prepare and had a singular focus. In defense of the Steelers, they were playing a team that they've pretty much owned. Psychological advantage was definately ours. We don't expect the same advantage next time, but we did gain in knowing we can beat you guys at almost every position.

The Ravens made big changes this year, while your team stood pat while doling out huge contracts to reward key players for past perrromance. It was the right thing to do, but you're going to pay for it for a year or two.

Your offense wasn't bad if you take away the TO's, several of which occured in the red zone. The next game could be tight, but the Ravens have now let the genie out of the bottle, so tight may not be to your advantage anymore.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
...Harbaugh's fatal flaw. Harbaugh revealed all his cards. Just to show you how big of an Ass Harbaugh was, he went for it on 4th and 1 instead of going for the field goal that would have put the Ravens up by 4 scores. Harbaugh was trying to run up the score. He wanted it 50 to 7. So what? To stroke his oversized ego. Would such a shellacking have made a difference to last year’s AFC divisional playoff? No. This is why Harbaugh won’t win the big games. A wise coach would have backed off the gas after going up 29-7 and gone vanilla. I've shown you my tricks, but I've got plenty more for our next meeting. Harbaugh never backed off. I'm hoping that comes back to haunt him in the next meeting and perhaps in the playoffs. The Steelers will not get burned again.

Pretty good rant overall, but if you think Harbaugh showed all his cards, or tried to run up the score, you're being foolish.

I will say that playing the Steelers in game one was an advantage for the Ravens. They had the entire pre-season to prepare and had a singular focus. In defense of the Steelers, they were playing a team that they've pretty much owned. Psychological advantage was definately ours. We don't expect the same advantage next time, but we did gain in knowing we can beat you guys at almost every position.

The Ravens made big changes this year, while your team stood pat while doling out huge contracts to reward key players for past perrromance. It was the right thing to do, but you're going to pay for it for a year or two.

Your offense wasn't bad if you take away the TO's, several of which occured in the red zone. The next game could be tight, but the Ravens have now let the genie out of the bottle, so tight may not be to your advantage anymore.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
lasvegasguy
Water Boy

Member Number: 16394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
I really didn't get that at all.
We lost the SB to GB becuae of 3 Turnovers -thats it -nuthin more to see here.

Plus, the 7 in the last game and we have 10 turnovers in 2 games. Sounds like Tomlin either needs to get back to basics with this group or step aside for a more qualified coach.
lasvegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

I'd also like to add that teh Ravens did not move teh ball by simply spreading it out and picking on our poor coverage guys.

Their first TD was preceded by a 36 and then 4 yard run. The 2nd TD was a rushing TD. 3rd TD Polamaluy was in coverage and the 4th and final one Timmons was in coverage on Rice. They did it against our weak coverage guy and better ones. The big difference here was they could run it on us.