Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,515 Times in 3,134 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 10 Observations from Steelers @ Ravens

I thought this was a good read and pretty spot-on.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...eelers-ravens/

The Ravens put a good whooping on us in game 1. They look like they built their entire team to just beat us. Speed at the cornerback, a good fullback, and retooling the offensive line so that we could not pass rush. All the changes from last season look to be ones that would give them advantage over the Steelers and it worked. Here are some observations from this game.

Ike Taylor was as shutdown as shutdown gets today. He blanked Lee Evans. He lined up on him from play one and never gave him an inch. Baltimore tried to get him the ball a few times and then realized they just needed to go to other receivers because they were open.

James Farrior- I do not care what Mike Tomlin said in his press conference Farrior was god awful that is why he was pulled. Not because Larry Foote practiced well. You can make that excuse all you want but Farrior could not get off a block or fill a hole to save himself today. He looked slow and old and like he did not belong. He looked like age caught up to him all at once.

We could not block a soul today. Suggs had 3 sacks. Jonathan Scott might as well have been on the bench. Ngata made Legursky look like a school child. False Start/Hold Colon was back in full force. The man is a walking penalty. This line is going to have a long season. I would put Gilbert in now and would have spent my money on a real guard. We do not have a lineman outside of Pouncey who deserves to be on the field. This is every season though. The Ravens just made it obvious today.

Ben Roethlisberger looked scared today but I do not blame him. He was beat up and running for his life all day. He floated many of his passes. Anytime he did not get juice on the ball it was picked off or batted down. Ed Reed should have had 4 picks today but dropped 2 of them.

Casey Hampton was a beast. He was pushing the line backwards all day. Matt Birk could not block him. He made alleys for the linebackers but they did not fill them. It actually may have made things worse because it made the hole bigger for the running backs to go through. Casey’s great play may have been a disadvantage today. On Ray Rice’s touchdown Casey was 3 yards in the backfield and James Farrior got run over for the touchdown. Good game Snack.

Bryant McFadden is garbage. He was terrible all game. Even when he had good coverage he can not make the play. Anquan Boldin should not have scored on the first drive. McFadden had coverage and then just fell over. They picked on him every chance they got. He was even being beat by Tight Ends.

Poor play calling as usual. We were running it down Baltimore’s throats at the beginning of the game. Mendenhall was having no trouble and all the sudden we just stopped. He had 11 yards on his first 2 carries then we threw the ball the next 8 plays. Then we ran the ball 6 times on the next drive and we scored a touchdown. Then we passed the ball on the next 6 plays and went 3 and out on both series. After that we were so far behind that all we could do was pass. As per usual Bruce Arians went against what was working though and just tried to throw it all over the field even though we could not block the Ravens pass rush.

James Harrison got smoked by Bryant McKinnie all day long. Harrison may have made 9 tackles but they were all after the running back made it down the field but one. He did make the play on the fourth and 1 but otherwise he was tackling people 4-6 yards down the field. He looked slow. He looked tired. He looked unhealthy. Which sucks for us but he may not be able to stay on the field.

Going away from everything you did in the preseason. Keenan Lewis did not touch the field. Heyward and Hood barely played which I was scared of. I knew we would do that. Just let them sit. It sickens me to see talent wasted for guys who can not stay on the field because they need a break. We are wasting Ziggy Hood. We changed our formations from what we did all preseason. The bunch went from Brown on the outside to Wallace back on the outside.

Finally we need a damn fullback. David Johnson misses more blocks out of the backfield then we can afford. On the plays when Mendenhall did get stopped it was on blocks that Johnson just flat out missed. Just like the Super Bowl.

The Steelers made no changes this offseason and it showed. We are the same team as last year just older and slower. The changes were made on the other side of the field and we payed for not adapting to them. It is only game one and we get Seattle next week and Indianapolis the week after. Hopefully we can right this ship before we get back to the good teams we will be playing. We get a two week practice window before that happens. I hope they use it.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,153 Posts
Default Re: 10 Observations from Steelers @ Ravens

Quote:
As per usual Bruce Arians went against what was working though and just tried to throw it all over the field even though we could not block the Ravens pass rush
Does this really surprise anyone?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Baltimore Ravens Fan
Banned

Member Number: 18789

Is Brian Waters (KC LG) or whatever his name still a FA?
Baltimore Ravens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts

Those who keep blaming offensive coordinators for not doing their job, in case you forgot, the head coach makes the ultimate decision. And if our franchise QB is so smart, he also needs to tell his coordinator what is best out there. Big Ben is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers.

By the way Ngata destroys everyone he plays against. I can not for the life of me understand how Albert Haynesworth gets so much pub when Ngata could put that guy in his pocket. Ngata is the best interior D-lineman in the league and there isnt anyone close.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Your analysis was good. Thanks!

Coaches make little adjustments after game plan goes to hell.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Heyward and Hood barely played which I was scared of. I knew we would do that. Just let them sit. It sickens me to see talent wasted for guys who can not stay on the field because they need a break. We are wasting Ziggy Hood.
as always. why did the steelers draft hood? he'll play next year and then the steelers will lose him to free agency? heyward won't see playing time for another 2 years. hampton is what he is and that's just a fat NT. people are so enamored by fat NTs. i love it when the announcer says it's a 3-man rush. no it is not a 3-man rush. it's 3 men standing, not rushing.

i am sure am glad the steelers spend absurd money to get poor/average players(mcfadden, foote) back. does mcfadden have any agility? foote took poor angles again. you will not see sylvester all year.

the O-line is a joke, but that's been known for 9 years. i know, get adams back and move colon to G. it's too bad starks can't control his food intake. we all know scott is going to be abused all year so why not start the rookie at LT? you can learn blocking assignments, but who is going to teach scott how to block?

lebeau played a bland and passive defense again. arians is in love with the ineffective bubble screen. the steelers use their TE when the game is all but over. same goes for screens to the RBs. arians is not a mastermind that fans make him out to be. BR still has not gotten rid of his dead duck lob. also, he still throws off his back foot. that being said, BR doesn't have an O-line to give him ample time or at least a decent pocket.

the positives in this game was no one was injured and it's only game 1 of the season.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Those who keep blaming offensive coordinators for not doing their job, in case you forgot, the head coach makes the ultimate decision. And if our franchise QB is so smart, he also needs to tell his coordinator what is best out there. Big Ben is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers.

By the way Ngata destroys everyone he plays against. I can not for the life of me understand how Albert Haynesworth gets so much pub when Ngata could put that guy in his pocket. Ngata is the best interior D-lineman in the league and there isnt anyone close.
ngata is awesome, but i think suu is very close.

i believe the OC picks the plays, not the HC. the OC creates the game plan, not the HC. this is not to say the HC doesn't make judgment calls in games. let's put it this way, whoever is making the calls and the game plans needs his head examined. of course that's just my opinion
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
as always. why did the steelers draft hood? he'll play next year and then the steelers will lose him to free agency? heyward won't see playing time for another 2 years. hampton is what he is and that's just a fat NT. people are so enamored by fat NTs. i love it when the announcer says it's a 3-man rush. no it is not a 3-man rush. it's 3 men standing, not rushing.

i am sure am glad the steelers spend absurd money to get poor/average players(mcfadden, foote) back. does mcfadden have any agility? foote took poor angles again. you will not see sylvester all year.

the O-line is a joke, but that's been known for 9 years. i know, get adams back and move colon to G. it's too bad starks can't control his food intake. we all know scott is going to be abused all year so why not start the rookie at LT? you can learn blocking assignments, but who is going to teach scott how to block?

lebeau played a bland and passive defense again. arians is in love with the ineffective bubble screen. the steelers use their TE when the game is all but over. same goes for screens to the RBs. arians is not a mastermind that fans make him out to be. BR still has not gotten rid of his dead duck lob. also, he still throws off his back foot. that being said, BR doesn't have an O-line to give him ample time or at least a decent pocket.

the positives in this game was no one was injured and it's only game 1 of the season.
Agreed Hampton is a fat and overpaid ...Smith and Kiesel get next to no rush either....Why do you think other teams are not playing 35 year olds?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Completely agree. I did notice Hampton getting the push. Ike played a great game, it was one of the only games I've seen where he was just an absolute shut down corner, especially against a good receiver. Harrison is not 100% yet, he will be soon so I'm not to worried about it, especially since he was so OBVIOUSLY heald 6-10 times. I think Ben was scared that nothing the offense did was working. He was getting chased all day but he's getting used to that, his throws were WAY off and his decisions were horrible, and nobody was open, EVER. In garbage time Wallace got open for some short routes, that's it.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Hood has always been a questionable draft pick in my eyes. He is a prototypical 4-3 DT in terms of his build. Tomlin is basically wasting away his rookie contract. He had a poor 2009 campaign in light of Smith's injury, often getting driven backwards and on his ass in most games; then had a great last half of 2010 after it took him 2 years to learn the position. Now he rides the bench again. I really thought we were going Rey Maualuga and I'm kind of wishing we did based on Foote and Farrior's performance against the Ravens

Heyward shouldn't have as difficult of a transition. He was getting comparisons to Richard Seymour coming out of OSU. I fully expect him to be the full time starter next year or quite possibly by the end of this year... especially watching Keisel get blown off the ball yesterday.