Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Steelerindc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15880
Default Two things that worry me about the Steelers

The O-line and most importantly the D-line.

Let's get this out of the way, we all know our CB's are some shit except for Ike. We've known that for some time now and yet we're still able to mask that weakness with our front seven. But if the front seven doesn't show up this year, it will be like basketball on grass all year long. Teams will walk up and down the field on us like Baltimore did week after week, even the lesser teams.

At this point in time for our D-line the players are who they are, there's no retraining them, there's try something new. Arron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel have to play lights out all year long with no let up b/c if not you're leaving it up to Chris Hoke (whose Casey's backup) and Ziggy Hood who I think will be fine as the year progresses and Cameron Heyward who's a rookie and might miss somethings. Other than that people who do we have?

There were a lot of people out there after the final pre-season games that got cut we could have picked up.....you know kinda like Baltimore did. Offensive linemen and D-linemen. But we didn't which makes me wonder.

And the O-line.....do I need to say more? It's scary people....really scary. Then we got BA not wanting to run the ball at all and Ben looking like the Ben in '06-'07 just throwing balls up for grabs.

I hope Tomlin dug in his teams ass, b/c it has the potential to be a real bad year.

I'm not going to push the panic button yet, but if we don't beat the breaks off of Seattle then we need to look at the coach and GM sideways and ask.....what was your game plan going into this year?

Next year there will be have to be some big names gone from this current roster b/c the lean years are coming.
Steelerindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784
Default Re: Two things that worry me about the Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerindc View Post
The O-line and most importantly the D-line.

Let's get this out of the way, we all know our CB's are some shit except for Ike. We've known that for some time now and yet we're still able to mask that weakness with our front seven. But if the front seven doesn't show up this year, it will be like basketball on grass all year long. Teams will walk up and down the field on us like Baltimore did week after week, even the lesser teams.

At this point in time for our D-line the players are who they are, there's no retraining them, there's try something new. Arron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel have to play lights out all year long with no let up b/c if not you're leaving it up to Chris Hoke (whose Casey's backup) and Ziggy Hood who I think will be fine as the year progresses and Cameron Heyward who's a rookie and might miss somethings. Other than that people who do we have?

There were a lot of people out there after the final pre-season games that got cut we could have picked up.....you know kinda like Baltimore did. Offensive linemen and D-linemen. But we didn't which makes me wonder.

And the O-line.....do I need to say more? It's scary people....really scary. Then we got BA not wanting to run the ball at all and Ben looking like the Ben in '06-'07 just throwing balls up for grabs.

I hope Tomlin dug in his teams ass, b/c it has the potential to be a real bad year.

I'm not going to push the panic button yet, but if we don't beat the breaks off of Seattle then we need to look at the coach and GM sideways and ask.....what was your game plan going into this year?

Next year there will be have to be some big names gone from this current roster b/c the lean years are coming.
Short timed passes. Halfback screens...how you beat blitzes. If you line up Wallace or Sanders as a psuedo back...watch the blitzes fade to caution. As far personnel..it is what it is. You will see more young guys as the season progresses...we need indecision in the other teams' backers!
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Im not worried about the D line as long as Tomlin doesnt ignore the problem. Hoke actually plays pretty well and Hampton is still playing good. He was one of the few that played well Sunday. I think Keisel will step back up. Main reason I am not worried is Hood and Heyward. Hood plated well last year and I think Heyward will be really good. If Smith doesnt come around then we should start Hood, if Keisel doesnt we should start Heyward, he will rise up to the occasion. I think if Keisel starts playing hard again we shiuld be rotating them in and out. Keisel and Smith are more experienced but Hood and Heyward are more athletic. We should keep everybody fresh by rotating all 4 of them, unless Smith doesnt step up, then Hood should start and Heyward can rotate in for both of them. Im not worried bout the d line. Now the o line, Im worried, hopefully Gilbert can step up, either way this line is going to be sub par at best.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/...e-shuffle.html

O line doesn't worry me as much. The line is only as bad as the offense. If you expect them to hold blocks for five or six seconds...we are screwed. In the first half the Steelers rushed 9 times for 53 yards, that is 5.8 yards per carry. The quick turnovers in the second half forced the Steelers away from the run.

If they run the ball, they can limit turnovers and play effective. Our line is built to hold a block for three seconds or so then problems arise. Elite QB has dropped back and thrown the ball in about 3 seconds but with Ben it is give and take. You take more sacks for more bigger plays.

People always harp on the line and we still win games.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,021 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

1 Bruce Arians
2 his play calling
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
1 Bruce Arians
2 his play calling
YES. The Steelers didn't renew his contract and this is the last year...hopefully he is gone.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Oh yeah - Arians scheme called for those 7 turnovers.

another convenient scapegoat for the $200M the Rooneys just spent on new contracts...where were those fat wallets making impact plays on the field?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,350 Times in 4,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
...where were those fat wallets making impact plays on the field?
oh, they were there, but does it really matter what an impact they had? ultimately its all about ratings, and right now the BALT vs PIT match up is one of the biggest prize fights the nfl has got going.

im sure the revenge/grudge match will attract even greater ratings in november.

for example, does anyone really care how bad angelina jolie's acting skills may have sucked in her latest film if, at the box office, it nets $100,000,000 more than it cost to produce and sets up for a great sequel?

2% might care if she butchered her lines. the other 98% are just glad to catch a few seconds of a wet t-shirt nipple shot.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,248 Times in 2,297 Posts

Quote:
the other 98% are just glad to catch a few seconds of a wet t-shirt nipple shot.
Obviously you haven't seen Taking Lives.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,350 Times in 4,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Obviously you haven't seen Taking Lives.
i dont think so.

ive seen a movie called "Taking Wives" starring Vagilina Blowmee.

is that what ur talkin about?