Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default After further review – Mark Kaboly

and now for some sane football analysis-

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...futher-review/

Quote:
Taking a look back at the Steelers-Ravens game on my DVR

* For my money, the play of the game was the Ray Rice 36-yard run on the first snap. It was a simple zone run to the left for Rice, but it set the tone for the entire game.

This is what happened: Troy Polamalu was blocked to the outside by tight end Ed Dickson; backside guard Marshal Yanda cut Casey Hampton while he was being blocked by center Matt Birk; guard Ben Grubbs put Brett Keisel on his backside; fullback Vonte Leach locked down James Harrison; and the big man, left tackle Bryant McKinnie, cleared the way for Rice with by swallowing linebacker James Farrior.

The play was blocked up absolutely perfect by the Ravens. However, 36 yards should’ve never come out of it. Ryan Clark missed a tackle 12 yards down the field that resulted in an extra 20-plus yards.

Dick LeBeau always is the first to credit Clark for being the reason why the Steelers rarely give up long runs. That is very true because Rice’s run should’ve been 15 yards at the most if it wasn’t for Clark’s missed tackle.

It happened again later in the game when Ricky Williams went 26 yards. Clark missed a tackle that resulted in a nice gain turning into a long gain.

* Just think, the Steelers allowed three rushes of 24 yards or longer the entire season last year. They allowed Baltimore to surpass that twice within three quarters Sunday.

* On Joe Flacco’s touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin, it is puzzling to think why LeBeau didn’t give Bryant McFadden help over the top rather than Ike Taylor on the other side.

McFadden not only needs more help when the two corners are 100 percent, but especially when McFadden was playing in his first game action the entire season because of a sore hamstring.

Saying that, what a wonderful throw by Flacco and even a better catch by Boldin.

* It may be legal, but I am sure Hampton didn’t appreciate the constant backside cuts by Yanda. Yanda came over and cut Hampton on Baltimore’s first four running plays of the game. But again, it also is a good way of render Hampton ineffective.

* You just assume that when Terrell Suggs sacks Ben Roethlisberger it is the left tackle’s fault – or in Sunday’s case, Jonathan Scott’s fault.

That is not the case.

Baltimore uses Suggs in a various number of ways and actually line him up on either side depending on down and distance.

On Suggs first sack of Roethlisberger late in the first quarter that resulted in a fumble, Suggs lined up at on the opposite side of the formation that he usually lines up

If that wasn’t bad enough, he ran a stunt to perfection with Haloti Ngata and came untouched to the quarterback.

Who to blame you ask? Not Doug Legursky.

Hate to break it to you folks, but that was 100 percent Maurkice Pouncey’s fault. He needed to recognize the stunt and pick up Suggs and hand off Ngata to Legursky.

It didn’t happen and one of the big plays of the game resulted out of it.

* Just to be critical for a second when it comes to Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. When Rice scored to make it 14-0, Nantz said “they might want to look at this one” and Simms rebutted “they can if they want.”

Hmm, you are the top broadcast team for CBS and you don’t know that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed now?

Interesting.

* Aaron Smith had an awful game. Period.

And it had nothing to do with his surgically repaired arm. What was the most worrisome about Smith is that he got physically manhandled.

No illustration is better than when Rice plunged in from the 1-yard line late in the first quarter to make it 14-0. Yanda drove Smith five yards off the ball that created all the room Rice needed to score.

Sorry, having a bum arm last year has nothing to do with getting pushed off the line of scrimmage.

* On Rice’s touchdown catch late in the first half to make it 21-7, you have to think Flacco was licking his chops when he saw Lawrence Timmons walk out with Rice to the near sidelines. Even if Timmons is fast, there is no way he could stay with Rice.

That was the theme in general all game. The Ravens got their matchup and executed it to perfection.*

The first play of the second half when Rashard Mendenhall fumbled after a crushing hit by Ngata, the entire problem with this play started when Pouncey had trouble identifying the ‘Mike’ linebacker.

Pouncey then appeared to snap the ball early that caused the chaos.

I am not going to sit here and pretend like I am smart enough to absolutely know whose fault it was, but if I was guessing, I’d say that David Johnson was responsible for blocking Ngata.

However, the overall blame I’d say would have to be put on Pouncey. There’s no question his early snap is what caused all the confusion in the first place.

* You do have to give Flacco a lot of credit, but some of that credit has to go to offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

When Flacco threw the ball, he threw in quickly – either 3- or 5-step drops and got rid of the ball quickly. When Flacco wasn’t throwing on a rhythm, it would be because he was moving the pocket on some kind of waggle.

It was smart because it never gave the Steelers rush to get near Flacco.

* Ngata is a heck of a player and he showed that on back-to-back plays to start the third quarter (sack-fumble and tip pass that resulted in a pick). But there is no need for a player of his caliber to stand over Jon Scott after laying him out with a blindside hit and flex his muscles.

Not classy at all.

sonds like the other guys get paid as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Re: After further review – Mark Kaboly

Quote:
Grading the Starters
Heath Miller – A
Casey Hampton – A
Ike Taylor – A
Rashard Mendenhall – B
Mike Wallace – B
Chris Kemoeatu — B
Jonathan Scott – B-
Doug Legursky – C+
Maurkice Pouncey — C
LaMarr Woodley – C
James Farrior — C
Lawrence Timmons — C
David Johnson — C
Hines Ward — C
Troy Polamalu – C-
Ryan Clark — D
Willie Colon — D
Brett Keisel — D
Aaron Smith — D
James Harrison — D
Ben Roethlisberger – D
Bryant McFadden — F
pretty fair analysis without the kneejerk panic, rage, and melodrama, if you ask me.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,249 Posts
My Mood: Fine

My only things I would change would be to

Give Mendenhall a solid C - i know the fumble wasn't his fault because of blocking but it is what it is - the guy had a problem with it before and they even showed a slow mo where he almost lost it again because of bad ball handling (nothing to do with blocking)

I agree with the Pouncey statements - I saw him not pick up a lot of things, but more disturbingly was he was on his back quite a bit - no one on that line deserves more than a C-

Ben deserves an F for the Neil O'Donnell like performance throwing it right to defenders with no Steelers around - not to mention fumbling - worse game I've seen from him maybe ever - including 06 season and Super Bowls

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Mick0311
Banned

Member Number: 18800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
pretty fair analysis without the kneejerk panic, rage, and melodrama, if you ask me.
I have to agree with you. It's hard, when you have a great team, to sit back and watch what happened last Sunday and not say "F's across the board!!" It's not really fair to grade them based on a curve of how good they usually are, and how good you expect them to be. It's a football game, and it should be graded based on their performances in that game. The only one I would change would be Roethlisberger's grade. I think he earned a solid F. There was not much in the performance that was redeeming. He looked really bad, like Chris Weinke bad. But, it happens to every QB in their career.
Mick0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

That was the theme in general all game. The Ravens got their matchup and executed it to perfection.*

Somebody please tell me the last time Bruce Bruce put players on htis offense in position to exploit defensive matchups? I'll be here all day.

You do have to give Flacco a lot of credit, but some of that credit has to go to offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

I don't think people realize how much better this guy is than Airhead. He uses his personnel to their strengths, and doesn't try to do the whole round peg/square hole deal.

When Flacco threw the ball, he threw in quickly – either 3- or 5-step drops and got rid of the ball quickly. When Flacco wasn’t throwing on a rhythm, it would be because he was moving the pocket on some kind of waggle.

Does anybody believe Bruce even knows what any of these terms mean? Good thing they didn't mention fullback. Somebody would really be confused then.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Definitely an F for ben, and yes a lot of those broken plays were pouncey's fault

glad he agrees mcfadden is garbage
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

i would grade harrison higher than woodley. woodley was a total non-factor. $61 million to pretty much loaf around. this not to say harrison had a good game either. injured or not he was below par, but he was active although his reactions were slower than usual
Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts

woodley will come around, a lot of players had bad a game. i'd say most actually. he did lead the nfl in tackles for negative yardage in 2009 and was high on that stat for last year also, he makes plays when he's on
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

The nightmare is over for now. It remains to be seen if Houston, New England tromp them in the ground like the Ravens did. And watching that mess, I honestly don't think the Steelers will beat the Ravens at home later on. They were physically outmatched at every single position. I don't think I have seen that happen in years and years to the Steelers. Hopefully it was an anomaly but Brady will be able to pass for 600+ yards on them if they don't get it fixed soon. Welker is as sneaky as ever and Brady does not miss passes to him. And those tight ends are going to eat us alive. I am hoping they shore things up but it is hard to imagine they can fix those problems because there are no personnel to replace the worst players and now Willie Colon is gone. I hope the rookie can hold his own or it will get ugly.

And damn it Arians. USE HEATH MILLER YOU MORON.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
fullback Vonte Leach locked down James Harrison
I'm not a Harrison basher, but James took the wrong shoulder on the first play. As an OLB on that play, Harrison should have smashed the outside shoulder of the FB, which would have allowed him to either make a play on the RB or force him the other way. Instead, James attacked the inside shoulder of the FB and made Leach look like a stud.

Quote:
Who to blame you ask? Not Doug Legursky.

Hate to break it to you folks, but that was 100 percent Maurkice Pouncey’s fault. He needed to recognize the stunt and pick up Suggs and hand off Ngata to Legursky.
I made this point on the Bash Legursky thread. When you see linemen look confused (as they surely did last Sunday), then you have to start your finger pointing at the lineman making the calls ... in this case Pouncey. I love the guy, but it's not a blind love that will make me blame everyone else when he fails.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote