Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #31
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,676 Posts
Default Re: Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I think Colon may be in danger of being cut next year. He's only going to have played 1 game in the past 2 season's once this year is over.Coming off two major injuries with the amount of cap room he's taking, I'd be certain we draft another OT in the first or second round and cut ties with him.
really ? colons contract included 7.5 million in guaranteed money. 1.5 million was paid this year leaving a 6 million balance due. do you think the steelers will be in a position to take a 6 mill in dead money cap hit for colon next year ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
really ? colons contract included 7.5 million in guaranteed money. 1.5 million was paid this year leaving a 6 million balance due. do you think the steelers will be in a position to take a 6 mill in dead money cap hit for colon next year ?
thats exactly what i was thinking. it would be cheaper to keep him and atleast try to get something out of him. we will be in no position to pay the amortized portion of those bonuses and have them accelerated towards next years cap.

the good thing is we were smart enough to give him 10-1 guaranteed, coming off injury.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #33
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats exactly what i was thinking. it would be cheaper to keep him and atleast try to get something out of him. we will be in no position to pay the amortized portion of those bonuses and have them accelerated towards next years cap.

the good thing is we were smart enough to give him 10-1 guaranteed, coming off injury.
not only that, he seems to think if they pick a tackle in the frirst 2 rounds he automaticly becomes starter... where was gilbert in the bmore game ? the bench you say ? oh you mean he couldn't beat out a buffalo scrub cast off ?
pouncey was the exception as far as the steelers go...not the rule.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #34
dreegking
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18661

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
It depends on how good he looks at camp. A torn tricep is a very bad injury for a tackle to have. I think we're going o-line in the first round next year regardless if we keep him or not; which kind of sucks because we have so many needs in our secondary and a future NT.
"So many". Those words probably require defining. Obviously in your world things are different than the world most of us live in.
dreegking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #35
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreegking View Post
"So many". Those words probably require defining. Obviously in your world things are different than the world most of us live in.
McFadden or Gay will be gone next year. Maybe both. Our coaching staff obviously doesn't have any faith whatsoever in Lewis because I think he'd see the field at #2 corner today with McFadden injured against a terrible Seahawks team who's missing their best receiver. I think Brown was an absolute steal in the 3rd round in this years draft but who knows when he'll get a chance to compete for the nickel spot. Clark and Troy are pretty old and I don't think Clark is very good to begin with. Our backups to them are late 6th round pick Ryan Mundy and Will Allen. Both can easily be upgraded.

So #2 CB/nickle corner are pretty pressing needs. Free safety is up there too. We haven't addressed that position anywhere in the draft in a while.

I think outside of offensive guard, CB and FS are our next priorities in the draft. Some of you guys say NT but we've addressed d-line in the first round of the 2 out of the last 3 drafts. I doubt they do it again.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #36
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I tend to agree with you, although I would say that nickel is NOT a need at all. At LEAST one of Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, or Cortez Allen should be at least good enough to be the nickel CB next season, if the Steelers just so happen to be able to fall headfirst into a starting CB in the draft next year. Safety is definitely an issue as well with both starters being 30+.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #37
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I'm not a huge fan of Colon in general.

Simply among the worst pass blocking tackles in the game--he's a great run blocker, but I think there's a strong possibility Gilbert will end up being an upgrade.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #38
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

#2 corner is set; the job is Brown's starting as soon as next year, assuming he's as good as advertised. I suspect both Lewis and Gay will be back again next year for the nickel and dime spots, along with Allen. So long as Brown develops and Troy stays healthy, our defensive backfield could go from atrocious to pretty darned good in one year. If anything, I'd like to see a mid-rounder to develop behind Clark.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #39
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMan21 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Colon in general.

Simply among the worst pass blocking tackles in the game--he's a great run blocker, but I think there's a strong possibility Gilbert will end up being an upgrade.
This myth needs to be put to rest already.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...nsive-linemen/

"We set a minimum of 1000 pass-blocking snaps which left us with 57 tackles in the study. The findings make good reading for those looking for some pass protection help in free agency. Four of our Top 15 are scheduled to hit free agency if and when a new CBA is done – including the man who has the lowest Pass Blocking Efficiency rating over the past three years – even if he did miss all of 2010.

That man is Willie Colon. With Colon missing for the year, the Steelers were without a guy who, over the previous two years, had given up only 43 QB disruptions, and the team finished among the worst pass protection units in the league. By contrast, 2010 saw Flozell Adams give up 46 in 578 snaps in pass protection. So, for a team in need of a sound pass protector on the right side they’d do well to remember just how good Colon has been before injury wiped him from the memory of some.

And, yes, you do have to be good to finish ahead of Jake Long."

Pass Blocking Efficiency, Tackles, Top 15, 2008-2010

Rank Name Pass Blocking Snaps Total Pressures PBE
1 Willie Colon 1333 43 2.66
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #40
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
This myth needs to be put to rest already.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...nsive-linemen/

"We set a minimum of 1000 pass-blocking snaps which left us with 57 tackles in the study. The findings make good reading for those looking for some pass protection help in free agency. Four of our Top 15 are scheduled to hit free agency if and when a new CBA is done – including the man who has the lowest Pass Blocking Efficiency rating over the past three years – even if he did miss all of 2010.

That man is Willie Colon. With Colon missing for the year, the Steelers were without a guy who, over the previous two years, had given up only 43 QB disruptions, and the team finished among the worst pass protection units in the league. By contrast, 2010 saw Flozell Adams give up 46 in 578 snaps in pass protection. So, for a team in need of a sound pass protector on the right side they’d do well to remember just how good Colon has been before injury wiped him from the memory of some.

And, yes, you do have to be good to finish ahead of Jake Long."

Pass Blocking Efficiency, Tackles, Top 15, 2008-2010

Rank Name Pass Blocking Snaps Total Pressures PBE
1 Willie Colon 1333 43 2.66
Nice. Thank you. I myself assumed that he was just a run-blocker, but it's good to see actual data being analyzed.