Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,946 Times in 3,009 Posts
Default Ravens blitzed 27 times Sunday- statistical analysis

as per steelersdepot, BR was 13 of 23 for 172 yards & sacked 4 times with 1 INT. 27 blitzes is much higher than league average. the jets led the league last year blitzing about 66% of the time.

the ravens werent even guessing correctly. everytime they blitzed ben was passing.

by comparrison the steelers blitzed flacco 11 times for 3 completions and 55 yds (0 sacks, ints, or tds) http://twitter.com/#!/STATS_NFL/stat...352192/photo/1

this poses an interresting dilemma that some of the o-line uber geniuses here can possibly answer-

ngata is widely regarded as the best d-lineman in the nfl. even suh defers to him. its safe to say he commands a double team on every play.

mount cody is freakishly huge. very few centers are gonna block him one on one. he can legitimately dictate a double team.

terrel suggs is one of the premier pass rushers in the league who is gonna win atleast several one on one battles with a lineman. at the very least he needs chipped with a rb or te (or both to block him).

theoretically, it could take six players just to hold these 3 at bay if theyre all having a good day. who blocks the other DL? a 7th person to block 4? what about the 5th and sometines 6th-7th rushers they are sending on blitzes about 40% of the time.

of course we could use a running back, but there were about 30 plays where a rb wasnt even on the field.

through effective gameplanning, the ravens rendered 2 of our most effective weapons (mendenhall and miller) useless and took them out of the game.

this isnt nothing new. they dusted off an old gameplan from 06 and dictated everything they knew arians would do.

they are familiar enough with us to know that when ben passes for more than 40 times we lose 9 times out of 10.

its really quite simple and logical to figure out but it takes some research, tape review and basic understanding of what goes on during a week (or in this case 6 months) of preparation, but i guess its far easier to complain that our o-line sux.

in teh above link, it is pretty interresting to see how some of the other qb's fared against the blitz. arron rodgers admittedly prefers a blitz with no backfield help and nothing more than the basic 5 man protection scheme. of course this means not waiting for seconds for a play to "develop".
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Ravens blitzed 27 times Sunday- statistical analysis

I you remember from the super bowl, Arians never deviates from a game plan. Wether the secondary gets injuries or in this case all hell breaks loose on the backfield.

It makes no sense to spread the field out or even go to a "no huddle" to change things up.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Well our O Line is below average so we won't know what a good/Above average Steeler line would do...we don't have one...
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,738 Times in 1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
I you remember from the super bowl, Arians never deviates from a game plan. Wether the secondary gets injuries or in this case all hell breaks loose on the backfield.

It makes no sense to spread the field out or even go to a "no huddle" to change things up.
Or a blizzarding ice storm.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Well our O Line is below average so we won't know what a good/Above average Steeler line would do...we don't have one...
so are you one of the new school steelerfans who would prefer they have a most excellent offensive line and a below average defense like the patriots? all them records tom brady sets sure are purdy.

i think fantasy football has ruined alot of fans appreciation for how great the defensive game once was. i guess its just further sissification of the league.
rodger goodell and the owners are proud. the ratings prove it.

too bad modern steelerfans are stuck with old school ownership.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

With as much trouble as the Steelers have with the spread offense, that isnt a major issue. Only a few Qbs cant take advantage of that. If you watch Aaron Rodgers in the Super Bowl, he was putting the ball in places i couldnt imagine. He was so accurate he made brady look like Big Ben against the Ravens. HOWEVER, what killed the Steelers in that game, was the offense and especially Ben Roethlisberger. If Ben doesnt make mistakes, there wouldnt be issues with all this. Ben is killing this team with his turnovers. He needs to fix it or after this year, Steelers need to start thinking about how they want to go about this. And they really need to get a offensive coordinator that can actual coach, what the **** are these guys doing.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,604 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so are you one of the new school steelerfans who would prefer they have a most excellent offensive line and a below average defense like the patriots? all them records tom brady sets sure are purdy.

i think fantasy football has ruined alot of fans appreciation for how great the defensive game once was. i guess its just further sissification of the league.
rodger goodell and the owners are proud. the ratings prove it.

too bad modern steelerfans are stuck with old school ownership.
wow man, he did not mention rather having a bad defense, fantasy football, or tom brady. where did all that come from?

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the quarterback we paid 100 million to not get hit every other play
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
wow man, he did not mention rather having a bad defense, fantasy football, or tom brady. where did all that come from?

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the quarterback we paid 100 million to not get hit every other play
why are you running to his defense? i didnt attack him, and im sure he's a big boy who can handle himself. he really didnt mention much of anything... just typical ramblings.

all i did was ask a simple question. its a zero sum game.

with the salary cap, a team cant PLAN to have and keep both a great defense and great offense like the 80s 49ers or 90s cowboys.

through great drafting and signing several mid range free age.nts, a team can luck into it for a few years.

if the steelers want excellent protection for ben it will come at the expense of this centuries most dominant defense.

its pretty simple. thats just how it is. many of the current younger fans just expect us to always have both.

plus arians gameplan and offensive identity is to play to bens strengths, with is to ditch the FB, have him under constant durress, and scramble around for 5 seconds while the deep shot routes downfield "develop".

im pretty sure arians logic says that giving ben a solid pocket to stand around in is playing to bens weakness. he's a mad genius i tell you. doing the exact opposite of what is conventional or should be done will trick them every time.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
why are you running to his defense? i didnt attack him, and im sure he's a big boy who can handle himself.

all i did was ask a simple question. its a zero sum game.

with the salary cap, a team cant PLAN to have and keep both a great defense and great offense like the 80s 49ers or 90s cowboys.

through great drafting and signing several mid range free age.nts, a team can luck into it for a few years.

if the steelers want excellent protection for ben it will come at the expense of this centuries most dominant defense.

its pretty simple. thats just how it is. many of the current younger fans just expect us to always have both.

plus arians gameplan and offensive identity is to play to bens strengths, with is to ditch the FB, have him under constant durress, and scramble around for 5 seconds while the deep shot routes downfield "develop".

im pretty sure arians logic says that giving ben a solid pocket to stand around in is playing to bens weakness. he's a mad genius i tell you. doing the exact opposite of what is conventional or should be done will trick them every time.
Check it out Homer....The Steelers have the best Defensive Line Coach (IMO) in football...that means i believe the Steelers can afford to take a raw Dlineman in say RD's 3-5 and be coached up Given that he wouldn't start anyway as you currently see since they have 2 first rounders coming off the bench.....now they don't have that Luxury on the O line, so they should be looking to get as close to NFL ready players as possible, and they should have been doing that ( Rd 1-2) since 2008.....Now currently they have a stout D-Line, Damn good backers and a sieve of a secondary...but they still manage to get the Job done....O-Line? nope...even though with a 100 mil QB you would want to invest a first or second rounder in that area and not just the last 2 years......the reason they haven't is why Ben is one hit away from getting beheaded or Mendy having to do a Barry Sanders impersonation (as far as getting yards on his own)......but your cool with that so...i'm wasting keystrokes
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
JustinM
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18803

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Or a blizzarding ice storm.
a BLITZzard!!!!

I'm claiming this term :)))
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote