Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,122 Times in 3,090 Posts
Default Ravens illegal (uncalled) chop blocks

from merril hog's recent twitter post-

Quote:
After watching the end zone copy of the coaching tape the ravens O line had several illegal chop blocks on steeled D that were never called

now merril and jaws provide some of the best game tape analysis out there. anyone who says otherwise is ignorant. noboby breaks down the coaches film better than them, infact they are the only ones to have an entire weekly show dedicated to it.

for those who dont know, endzone copies of the coaching tape arent available to the public.

by all accounts, i have read that casey hampton had a damn good game, but i actually read one poster on this board who thought he sucked because he was on his ass all day. mark kaloby noted in his post game re-watch analysis, that casey was cut block on the ravens 1st 4 running plays.

for those who dont know, the ravens o-line coach is from the denver broncos esteemed (and now illegal) cut block scheme.

so i think i will trust my own eyes, and the analysis of professionals who actually have all the resources.

as for the internet banditos who may have very well been liquored up during their only television broadcast viewing of the game, i will take their breakdown worth a grain of salt.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
DWplayer
Water Boy

Member Number: 18834
Default Re: Ravens illegal (uncalled) chop blocks

Legal or illegal......still sounds like excuse making to me.
DWplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Baltimore Ravens Fan
Banned

Member Number: 18789

Old News. This was debunked as bullshit a few days ago, Merril needs to refresh his memory on the rulebook a bit. No disrespect though.
Baltimore Ravens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Pics here:
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-chop-blocking

The rule does need to be changed. This play is more dirty than anything Hines or Harrison has ever done. If they change rules against us, they have to do the same for them.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Pics here:
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-chop-blocking

The rule does need to be changed. This play is more dirty than anything Hines or Harrison has ever done. If they change rules against us, they have to do the same for them.
This is the main issue now. I think we all can at least agree that the extent to which the chop block is made illegal should be revisited. I would imagine that pretty much everybody that had an opinion on this story two days ago did not know the full scop of the chop block rule and 1) initially took the word of those who initially reported it that they knew what the chop block rule was and 2) later looked up the rule themselves when people started to doubt and question the claims. It is obviously the case that every element of the league, from the players and coaches to the beat writers and fans, did not really understand what the rules were for the chop block. Now that it's a topic within the public sphere, however, I think that the rule should be examined and scrutinized. I've already reached my conclusion about the rule, and I believe that the rule as it applies to running plays needs to be changed. That a chop block can only occur by a blocker at least one position away from the initial blocker is ridiculous and arbitrary and violates the very spirit of the rule itself and of the league's recent player safety credo.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Whether the rule should be changed and whether there is evidence of illegal blocking are two very different questions.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I'll give it that it falls within the rules...but it's right on the borderline, and I don't agree with the rule at all. Knowing now that the new O-line coach for the Ravens was a big part of the chop block o-line scheme of Denver in the late 90's, early '00's makes more sense as to why it was happening a lot this past game.

And by the Titans recent comments on what they have seen on tape, every other team the Ravens play are going to be doing what they can to counter these attacks. And maybe a lot of teams will use similar tactics as well.

It's football, guys are going to get hurt regardless...but little inconsistencies in the rule book shouldn't be allowed to make it easier.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,793 Posts

It's going to take a nasty injury to someone before godell even considers a rule change.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
It's going to take a nasty injury to someone before godell even considers a rule change.
Like this one?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09083/957938-100.stm

Honestly though I wouldn't mind seeing them change the rule. I can see why folks are concerned. I think the way the rule is written, the defender is expected to let the center go and handle the block from the guard which would allow the center to block the linebacker. I wouldn't bet on the NFL doing anything to help defenses, though.

Last edited by i82much; 09-16-2011 at 05:04 PM.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Whether the rule should be changed and whether there is evidence of illegal blocking are two very different questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Didn't you say that you didn't come here to instigate? It seems as though that's what you're doing right now.

1) Obviously the rule itself and whether or not the rule is violated are two different discussions. Nobody was mistaking this.

2) Referencing the 'Hines Ward' rule doesn't further discussion in any kind of productive way. This discussion is not because the Ravens did it to the Steelers It's because what happened was dangerous, and many assumed that it was against the rules, and now that we know that that's not the case, we have an issue with the rule itself. I would have an issue if I saw Kemo doing this to Cody while Pouncey was standing him up. Well, I already have issues with some stupid shit Kemo does.

edit: Obviously this was written before you edited your post.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote