Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562
Default Re: Ravens illegal (uncalled) chop blocks

Yeah sorry. My gut reaction was to cite the Hines Ward thing but then I wanted to tone it down a bit so added the rest.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,431 Times in 3,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Ravens Fan View Post
Old News. This was debunked as bullshit a few days ago, Merril needs to refresh his memory on the rulebook a bit. No disrespect though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Whether the rule should be changed and whether there is evidence of illegal blocking are two very different questions.
from the "better late than never" files-

i asked merril hoge if he was able to substanciate what he initially posted and if he was correct about the "illegal" chop block rules.

his response-

"Yes but its not the reason they lost."

so there we have it. gotta take the word of a professional as opposed to a failed lawyer internet gossip site hack who supposedly "debunked" the observation with his own failed interpretation of the rules.

i doubt florio has ever even watched a complete game, let alone break down the film.

raven fans are full of shit and will believe anything (like ray wasnt involved in a double homicide andthat they have a SB quality team). no disrespect though.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
It's going to take a nasty injury to someone before godell even considers a rule change.
You mean a nasty injury to someone not on the Steelers.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWplayer View Post
Legal or illegal......still sounds like excuse making to me.
Its not an excuse, all Steelers players said straight up, that they got their asses handed to them, they are just pointing that out for the future.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
from the "better late than never" files-

i asked merril hoge if he was able to substanciate what he initially posted and if he was correct about the "illegal" chop block rules.

his response-

"Yes but its not the reason they lost."

so there we have it. gotta take the word of a professional as opposed to a failed lawyer internet gossip site hack who supposedly "debunked" the observation with his own failed interpretation of the rules.

i doubt florio has ever even watched a complete game, let alone break down the film.

raven fans are full of shit and will believe anything (like ray wasnt involved in a double homicide andthat they have a SB quality team). no disrespect though.
Yeah I dunno man. If you've got some pics or something, by all means let's see them. I am unconvinced.

I really don't think those rules are all that hard to interpret and Florio's reasoning jives with Harbaugh's comments. In the absence of further evidence from Hoge or further explanation of how the pics that were shown demonstrate an illegal block, I'm inclined to think you are wrong. No disrespect though.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

The most confusing thing to me in all this is the explanation as to why those blocks are ok by the rule. According to Peirra { pretty sure that is spelled wrong}, if the second offensive lineman is coming from one position over the d-lineman can anticipate the block. Ok, so what should Hampton have done, he is busy fighting with another 300lb person. Regardless of where the second lineman is coming from, these blocks shouls be against the rules. I admit this is the first I have heard this explanation. I, like I believe most if not all ,just assumed that it was illegal no matter what the case.

But, I would say that this seems like a way to neutralize Ngata the next time they play.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Hoge does have the best game film/game film analysis of anyone (not sure why he's not a coach!!!) and it maybe old news but it still disgusts me. Ravens are so cheap... Can't wait for the re-match... Also it's not excuse making considering the victim (Big Snack) never complained, all the mentions of this occuring are from outside sources...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

It's no reason for the loss and there was attention given to overcoming the chop block against Seattle (with much better success). Having to stoop to the technique is an indication of the respect the Raven's coaching staff has of the Steelers defenders. Basically, a chop block uses two blockers for a defender. The Ravens were happy using a 2-1 ratio, because in the past Steelers defensive linemen would overcome double teams and still move the line of scrimmage. The only way to win this battle was to use the chop.

I don't think the Steelers necessarily will use this cheap technique against the Ravens in the 2nd game. If the Steelers want to be effective against the Ravens, they should work on getting their damned line calls straight and not allow so many defenders to come through untouched. But that will only happen if they keep the starters on that line consistent.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Sadly, just like in hockey sometimes, the only way people back off is to give them a dose of their own medicine. If the refs aren't going to call it or the commissioner won't put an end to it, the players need to take matters into their own hands.

I would hate to see the Steelers stoop so low as to pull the same crap but I wouldn't shed a tear if they used two linemen to chop Ngata or Suggs' legs out from under them ans see how they like it. I would even be okay with Silverback or Woodely smacking Flacco in the face and breaking his nose. I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't return to the game.

The Ravens and Jets have seemed to become the new Raiders, spouting off at the mouth all the time and pulling dirty plays here and there and getting away with it. Maybe it is time to give it back to them for a change.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,536 Times in 3,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
It's going to take a nasty injury to someone before godell even considers a rule change.
Goodell is too busy worrying about defensive players faking injuries that might lower scoring to do anything about protecting defensive players from actual injuries and potentially lowering scoring

The NFL sent a memo Wednesday to all 32 teams warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determines players faked injuries during a game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...aking-injuries

Which of course means during the Patriots game later this year one of the Pats will chop block Casey Hampton, who will take too long getting off the field, which will then result in a suspension of Hampton for delaying Brady's quest for the passing yardage record
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote