Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #61
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,752 Times in 1,786 Posts
Default Re: Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
SteelRunner doesn't know that Mike Tomlin was calling him a 'one-trick pony' a YEAR ago as a motivator to get better and not let his success go to his head.

1250 yards and 12 TDs in his first year starting and 100 yards in each of his games this season. Wow you'd think teams could figure out how to stop this one-trick.
Wallace isn't out there by himself they have to worry about more than one guy. Who's gonna get doubled and who's not and so on. And how many db's have they're head on a pivot watching out for Hines.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #62
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

At this point, Wallace is by far the best player on the team. He had the best DVOA of any receiver in the game last year.

But that doesn't mean Ward doesn't still have a role to play--he still has a high catch percentage and he's a devastating blocker. I don't see how this is a hard question.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #63
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Wallace isn't out there by himself they have to worry about more than one guy. Who's gonna get doubled and who's not and so on. And how many db's have they're head on a pivot watching out for Hines.
Right the only reason why Wallace is so dominant is because Hines Ward demands double coverage.

Wallace is the best receiver on the team hands down. He's one of the best receivers in the LEAGUE, period.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #64
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Right the only reason why Wallace is so dominant is because Hines Ward demands double coverage.

Wallace is the best receiver on the team hands down. He's one of the best receivers in the LEAGUE, period.
Did anyone say that Wallace is no good? I believe the question is whether or not Ward is any good, and amazingly this crowd is split on the issue.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #65
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,018 Times in 3,043 Posts

http://burgh.us/7vv

Quote:
PITTSBURGH - Hines Ward admits that his "day is coming." He knows that in time he will lose his starting job with the Steelers. He just hopes it doesn't happen any time soon -- as in this year.

Gone are the days when Ward runs routs as Ben Roethlisberger's No. 1 target.

Ward may still be the self-proclaimed "leader of the wideouts" when it comes to know-how and leadership. But the main man on the receiving corps is now Mike Wallace, the third-year speedster who continues to put up remarkable numbers.

Then there are the two fleet-footed second-year pros, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Next year, one of them will surely nudge Ward closer to retirement. One of them will join Wallace in the starting lineup when the 2012 season begins. Both offer so much talent.

But for now, Ward remains a viable option. He may be 35 but he still has much to contribute. Granted, he's not as fast as he was in his prime although he was never a burner to begin with. He may have a harder time getting open than he once did, especially against big, physical cornerbacks. No longer does the opposition's best cover corner guard him.

But Ward will still have his moments.

So far in two games, Roethlisberger has targeted Wallace 20 times. Ward and Brown were the intended receiver 15 times each. Wallace leads the team with 16 catches. Ward is second with nine. Brown is third with six.

And none of the young wide receivers block as well as Ward. It's not even close.

In Sunday's 24-0 win over the Seahawks, Wallace (126), Brown (67) and Sanders (44) each had more receiving yards than Ward (33). But it was Ward who was open on a trick play in the first quarter when Sanders threw to him for 15 yards. Then in the third quarter, Ward made a nifty catch along the sideline, keeping both feet inbounds for a 15-yard gain.

"Twinkle toes," Ward, a "Dancing with the Stars" champion, said when describing that catch.

Roethlisberger called Ward's catch a "phenomenal play on his part."

In 2009, Ward signed a four-year contract extension that will allow him to finish his career with the Steelers. He's locked in through the 2013 season.

The owner of 14 different Steelers' receiving records, Ward ranks No. 8 on the NFL's all-time receptions list with 963. He needs just 37 more to become just the eighth receiver in league history to reach 1,000.

He's on pace this year to catch 72.

Ward doesn't have many more years to play. But that doesn't mean he's fading fast. He still can make plays.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #66
ricardisimo
Administrator

I like glancing at the all-time receiving yards lists. If he keeps busy for the next two years, he could possibly crack the top 10. Problem is Tony Gonzalez is probably going to beat him to it and keep him out of it. I can see him bumping off Torry Holt, but Ellard and Cris Carter are probably out of his range.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #67
tony hipchest

and yet another example-

Quote:
Hines Ward may no longer be a No. 1 receiver, but two plays Sunday showed his value to the Steelers.

On the team's first touchdown drive, he locked up Seattle safety Earl Thomas and drove him to the side. That opened a gaping hole and resulted in a 9-yard run by Rashard Mendenhall.

Read more: Steelers coach pleased with play of Gilbert - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1YSmc5000
hines ward makes these types of plays in every game. i think hes so taken for granted by fans more interested with fantasy stats that it often goes over looked.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #68
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I like glancing at the all-time receiving yards lists. If he keeps busy for the next two years, he could possibly crack the top 10. Problem is Tony Gonzalez is probably going to beat him to it and keep him out of it. I can see him bumping off Torry Holt, but Ellard and Cris Carter are probably out of his range.
when all is said and done, i think reggie wayne, andrae johnson, and larry fitzgerald pass him up as well, but other than that, he looks solid.

he should remain top 15 for quite a while, possibly solidifying a spot in canton.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #69
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
when all is said and done, i think reggie wayne, andrae johnson, and larry fitzgerald pass him up as well, but other than that, he looks solid.

he should remain top 15 for quite a while, possibly solidifying a spot in canton.
Johnson for sure, but Wayne's older than I thought, and he might not ever get another QB. Fitzgerald doesn't even need a QB, from the looks of it, so yeah. If Brady and Muchostinko ever get on the same page, possibly...

But other than Johnson and Fitz these are all what ifs and maybes. So what if Ward plays really well for not one or two but three years?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #70
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Johnson for sure, but Wayne's older than I thought, and he might not ever get another QB. Fitzgerald doesn't even need a QB, from the looks of it, so yeah. If Brady and Muchostinko ever get on the same page, possibly...

But other than Johnson and Fitz these are all what ifs and maybes. So what if Ward plays really well for not one or two but three years?
i can easilly see ward playing out the final 2 seasons remaining on his contract and returning for a 3rs (and possibly a 4th) at a reduced pay and workload. another 150 rec/2200 yds/ and 12-15 tds really seem attainable.

i think he will achieve every personal goal he has set for himself, but more than that, i think he wants to prove all the doubters wrong and show his longevity. if he can stay as healthy as he has the past 4 years, i dont see why 3 more after this one is out of the question (of course with less pay and play).

it wouldnt be unprescedented. the steelers like having a veteran like joey galloway or terrence mathis on their roster.