Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725
Default Re: Coach Lebeau scraps CB's 10-12 yd cushion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerjim58 View Post
I think a lot of people get fixated on the number of sacks the Steelers get. Sure 48 sacks led the league, but thats 3 a game on average. When teams are routinely throwing 35-40 times a game, that is only getting to the qb once every 10-11 passes. Hurries and knockdowns are just as important. And imo the Steelers have been woefully lacking in that department for years. Of course with so many teams using the spread them out dink and dunk offense it is difficult.
What the Steelers need to do is draft a couple stud defensive lineman in the first round, and then have them sit on the bench for a couple of years so slow old timers can play because they are 'vets'.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
no, not really, last year, except for a couple of games, we regularly hurried the QB on passing downs and such
I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
effyou515
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18713

in the nexy two years this team is going to be every different and these older players will be gone. hope the Steelers can pull off a couple of monster drafts the next few years.
effyou515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they drafted one of the top cover corners in the draft, but too bad he wont see the field for another 6 years or however long it takes to learn lebeau's scheme
Well hopefully he steps it up soon, McFadden had his time with the Steelers before Arizona and now looks like he is done, and I have never been to high on Gay. I'm sure the lockout slowed the progress down of the rookie cb's as well, it would be nice to see the Steelers give the young guys a chance here and there.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #25
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I kind of agree with the point of "watch what you wish for". It burns my ass when they give a 12yd cusion on 3rd and 4. McFadded looks like Willie Williams. Gay's rookie season looked very promising. The only time he looks good is blitzing.

With all the criticism of the secondary, I think a little bit has to be passed on to the fact we are getting no pressure on the QB (except for our own).
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
I kind of agree with the point of "watch what you wish for". It burns my ass when they give a 12yd cusion on 3rd and 4. McFadded looks like Willie Williams. Gay's rookie season looked very promising. The only time he looks good is blitzing.

With all the criticism of the secondary, I think a little bit has to be passed on to the fact we are getting no pressure on the QB (except for our own).
Not to start anything but the LB's do need a little time to get to the QB. I'm not saying the CB's have to give the LB's lockdown coverage (that would be nice though) but they need to give them a couple seconds to put a little pressure on the QB.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4ever95 View Post
Not to start anything but the LB's do need a little time to get to the QB. I'm not saying the CB's have to give the LB's lockdown coverage (that would be nice though) but they need to give them a couple seconds to put a little pressure on the QB.
Since we're sticking up for the LB's and talking about coverage, think maybe they could cover a TE some time this year?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
Since we're sticking up for the LB's and talking about coverage, think maybe they could cover a TE some time this year?
Very true the TE's did kill it in the game. The coverage on the TE's could have been much better indeed, but the only real cover guy I see on the Steelers LB core is Timmons. I say Timmons is the best in coverage becasue he has the speed to play in coverage and can cover ground. Harrison and Woodley and Farrior play good in coverage but only if its probably zone. It was very hard to sit there and watch the Steelers get picked apart like that, but the good news is it was only one game, and I'm sure they will rebound and fix the problems.