Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Farrior 'not going out easy'

Farrior 'not going out easy'
By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 16, 2011
Last updated: 8:25 am

James Farrior is the mortar of a usually brick-solid Steelers defense.

As the 36-year-old linebacker paced the sideline with his helmet dangling at his side Sunday, the defending AFC champions' defense looked like a soft mix of sand and water. It was vulnerable against a revenge-minded, physical Baltimore offense.

Farrior walked slowly onto the field at M&T Bank Stadium during a timeout to offer advice and encouragement to backup linebacker Larry Foote as the Ravens marched methodically downfield during a flawless, 12-play, 84-yard scoring drive.

It was an unusual situation for Farrior, who watched from the sideline during Baltimore's last three first-half possessions. He wasn't hurt, and he didn't ask for a breather.

"We made a commitment that both men (Farrior and Foote) were going to play," said coach Mike Tomlin after a humbling 35-7 season-opening defeat.

But Farrior's extended stay on the bench was curious, if not reflective of the fact that 15 years in the NFL has given Tomlin cause to save Farrior's body, even early in the season.

"We have to keep guys somewhat fresh when you can and take care of guys so they can make it through the season," said defensive end Aaron Smith, a 13-year veteran. "This is a marathon."

Farrior, though, isn't ready to be treated like a washed-up pitcher. He insisted throughout this week he'll be ready to go the distance when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field on Sunday.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Daysnways
Water Boy

Member Number: 18815
Default Re: Farrior 'not going out easy'

No player is going to, put their hands up and say, I'm not good enough anymore, stick the next guy in . . .

that's the coaches job to see it and act upon it.

That's where we're falling down at the moment, In some respects Dick is too close to guys like Pottsie and Clark, he needs to man up and make some big decisions, and not wait until the end of the season to do it.

I'd prefer Keyaron Fox in the middle to either of this pair at the moment, and Sly . . . . . . . give him a chance, . . please!!
Daysnways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysnways View Post
No player is going to, put their hands up and say, I'm not good enough anymore, stick the next guy in . . .

That's where we're falling down at the moment, In some respects Dick is too close to guys like Pottsie and Clark, he needs to man up and make some big decisions, and not wait until the end of the season to do it.

I'd prefer Keyaron Fox in the middle to either of this pair at the moment, and Sly . . . . . . . give him a chance, . . please!!
I agree with what you are saying, however, since we don't have Fox (not re-signed) I would like to see Sylvester in there or at least get opportunity. Where I would like to see changes is at# 2 CB and replace BMAC (who is injured once again) with Lewis or Brown, and get C. Allen on the field. Also its time to start dwindling the playing time of both Keisel and Smith and get Hood and Heyward in the game.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Show me a guy that plays Linebacker and will raise their hand and say, "I am done coach" none of them will. They are all athletes and competitors it is all they know. He is slower but maybe doing things this way will help in the second half of the season.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I've been saying this for over a year now..We always got rid of players before we got to this point, now we have 5 or 6 that are in the same boat ( age)...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysnways View Post

I agree...Thanks for your service but time to move on!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts

Consider the possibiity Tomlin gave Foote some snaps in case Harrison could not continue, which would result in Timmons going outside and both Farrior & Fooote going the rest of the game as the inside linebackers

Of course Tomlin and LeBeau are obviously clueless
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,055 Times in 3,368 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Consider the possibiity Tomlin gave Foote some snaps in case Harrison could not continue, which would result in Timmons going outside and both Farrior & Fooote going the rest of the game as the inside linebackers

Of course Tomlin and LeBeau are obviously clueless
while that's a possibility, it's rather troubling if that's the case. shows zero confidence in worilds to play his position
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm ok with Foote being in there....just like I've said about our DL....gotta keep the guys fresh! LOL- In case you haven't heard, some ppl have said our D is kinda old...with that being said, some younger guys like Foote, Hood, Heyward, Mundy can play a few series in a game- not every other, not rotating, but on some drives stick some new guys in to give a rest...Even a guy in his prime can benefit by an extended rest a series or two a game...Just not too many starters out any one series.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
while that's a possibility, it's rather troubling if that's the case. shows zero confidence in worilds to play his position
it's the old concern the younger players do not know LeBeau's schemes - of course Foote looked completely lost when he played
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote