Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #31
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Marcus Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Tackle and a guard in the first two rounds... the right side of their line, in fact. Not working out too well so far, I'd say.

P.S. - Oh yeah, and Derek Sherrod, who was available when the Steelers picked, and for whom many on these boards were clamoring, has been a dud thus far, and inactive for both Green Bay games. Cam Heyward has played, and played well in substitution.
That's because Cameron Heyward is a beast. Absolutely 100% a steal at 31. He was a top 15 talent.

Picks like Jason Worilds were pretty much a waste imho. It wasn't a value/good pick in the 2nd round and it wasn't in a position of need.

Last edited by DanRooney; 09-22-2011 at 05:21 AM.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
other than punters and placekickers, there are several positions that aretraditionally NEVER overdrafted in the 1st round. These are interior linemen (guards and centers), safeties, and tight ends. the thinking being is that you can always find good ones in the latter rounds.

yet look how they fare when they 'reach" or take one early (assuming they are the top 1 or 2 at their respective position.

faneca, miller, pouncey, polamalu... all HOF/pro-bowl/all pro calibur players.

yet the ubergenius internet fans would prefer us to reach for the 7th ranked LT or 5th ranked CB in the 1st round and pass on one of the highest ranked DT/DE's?LB.

i guess they dont realize that the steelers typically take the BPA as opposed to reaching for immediate need (which rookies cant fill).

theres something to be said for knowing the steelers way. it wins championships...

which ive seen clowns on this board try to minimize.
And yet the FO hasn't found one yet in the later rounds outside of Legursky who's at best average even though he's smart as hell .....If they did a better Job of scouting OLine talent then maybe we could have better picks in the later rounds that you so love.....I mean if your gonna draft a chris scott or tony hills , you may as well take a chance on a Sebastian Vollmer in the second round of '09, but they traded out of the second round that year and grabbed future all-pro kraig urbick in the 3rd, or Jared Veldheer who they could have snagged in the second round in 2010 instead of Worilds....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
And yet the FO hasn't found one yet in the later rounds outside of Legursky who's at best average even though he's smart as hell .....If they did a better Job of scouting OLine talent then maybe we could have better picks in the later rounds that you so love.....I mean if your gonna draft a chris scott or tony hills , you may as well take a chance on a Sebastian Vollmer in the second round of '09, but they traded out of the second round that year and grabbed future all-pro kraig urbick in the 3rd, or Jared Veldheer who they could have snagged in the second round in 2010 instead of Worilds....
There were folks demanding that we take Derek Sherrod this year, who was really the only lineman close to the Steelers' first-round pick this year. It's way too early to tell, of course, but so far he's looking like a career back-up. Meanwhile, Heyward is a possible Pro Bowler as early as next year.

Maybe Colbert really knows how to spot first-round talent. His weakest pick so far is probably Mendenhall; an under-utilized 1300 yd/15 TD running back. If that's his worst, I'll trust him to keep it up.

Maybe Colbert knows his own deficiencies at judging O-line, and is gambling on finding late-round gems in the meantime. If so, it's a decent gamble, considering how well he does at the other positions.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do so well year-in and year-out that they are perpetually out of reach of the first round stud left tackles. There's not much to be done about that, seems to me.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #34
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
There were folks demanding that we take Derek Sherrod this year, who was really the only lineman close to the Steelers' first-round pick this year. It's way too early to tell, of course, but so far he's looking like a career back-up. Meanwhile, Heyward is a possible Pro Bowler as early as next year.

Maybe Colbert really knows how to spot first-round talent. His weakest pick so far is probably Mendenhall; an under-utilized 1300 yd/15 TD running back. If that's his worst, I'll trust him to keep it up.

Maybe Colbert knows his own deficiencies at judging O-line, and is gambling on finding late-round gems in the meantime. If so, it's a decent gamble, considering how well he does at the other positions.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do so well year-in and year-out that they are perpetually out of reach of the first round stud left tackles. There's not much to be done about that, seems to me.
Well if you can trade up for a Troy, or a Santonio, why not a stud left tackle in a round 1? and this is something they could have done over time to slowly build a line as well as address other needs...i have never said have draft where you ONLY take O-lineman but with group that may not be a bad idea...I mean, If the "Standard is the Standard" isn't having a solid O-Line always been a Steeler Standard? Shit, stop gambling on an investment that can possibly save your $100 mil All-pro QB's career, and if you can't evaluate it well enough go out and hire people who can.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,842 Times in 4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
wow! i am amazed, flabbergasted and stunned by your amazing forsight and prescience.

not only should you be working in the steelers FO, you should be telling fortunes, predicting lottery numbers and shit.

(see what i did there? i made fun of the fact that you showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever. you did nothing more than monday morning qb. thats the great thing about hindsight.... even a chimp can use it to try to appear smarter than they actually are.)

try this on for size. in 07 the steelers also coulda passed on timmons and woodley and taken james marten and ryan harris and finally had the OT bookends that ignorant fans clamour for. the last thing wee nedded at the time was linebackers, right?

now im not being critical of your unoriginal monday morning take because you are just a fan or because i think the front office is always right (you are and they arent).

my critisizm stems from me knowing a hell of alot more about how a front office actually works than you do.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #36
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
wow! i am amazed, flabbergasted and stunned by your amazing forsight and prescience.

not only should you be working in the steelers FO, you should be telling fortunes, predicting lottery numbers and shit.

(see what i did there? i made fun of the fact that you showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever. you did nothing more than monday morning qb. thats the great thing about hindsight.... even a chimp can use it to try to appear smarter than they actually are.)

try this on for size. in 07 the steelers also coulda passed on timmons and woodley and taken james marten and ryan harris and finally had the OT bookends that ignorant fans clamour for. the last thing wee nedded at the time was linebackers, right?

now im not being critical of your unoriginal monday morning take because you are just a fan or because i think the front office is always right (you are and they arent).

my critisizm stems from me knowing a hell of alot more about how a front office actually works than you do.

I would have taken those 2, you would not have, Ryan Harris was to light in the ass for us..he was perfect for Denvers zone blocking system though...i also liked Antoine Caldwell and though he could have helped our RG woes but we passed on him too....Both those guys Volmer or Veldheer wouldn't have afected our draft much if at all both years so this isn't Monday morning QB'ing it's pointing out the obvious...there were flaws not addressed, we didn't need Worilds at 2, especially when Timmons can slide outside in a pinch and we still have foote...and i didn't think Urbick was anything special so why not take a chance on Vollmer? Who cares what you know? that fact is this line is poor and they passed up on or failed until recently (hopefully) on ways to improve it

Last edited by BKAnthem; 09-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Why are you even talking about tackles? The Steelers already have their tackles in Colon and Gilbert.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote