Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Best and Worst Hands in the NFL

Pretty interesting article from ESPN insider:

One of the things I most enjoy in researching football scientifically is debunking traditional football wisdom. How many times have you seen a sure-handed receiver drop a pass, only to have the announcer say something like, "That almost never happens. He'll catch that pass 99 times out of 100."

I always wondered if that was true. Do the best receivers catch 99 percent of the passes thrown their way?

As a result, I tracked the number of drops every qualifying receiver had during the 2005 season (minimum of 40 catches to qualify). I also divided the number of drops by the number of catchable passes to come up with a dropped pass percentage.

Here are the top 20 receivers in dropped pass percentage from the 2005 season:

Dropped Passes
Player Team Dropped passes Dropped pass %
Houshmandzadeh Cincinnati 3 2.6%
Marvin Harrison Indianapolis 4 3.2%
Bobby Engram Seattle 4 4.3%
Jason Witten Dallas 4 4.5%
Steve Smith Carolina 7 4.7%
Scottie Vines Detroit 3 4.8%
Tony Gonzalez Kanas City 6 4.9%
Eric Parker San Diego 4 4.9%
K. Johnson Dallas 6 5.1%
Joe Jurevicius Seattle 4 5.1%
Eric Moulds Buffalo 7 5.5%
Keenan McCardell San Diego 6 5.6%
Reggie Wayne Indianapolis 7 5.7%
Lee Evans Buffalo 5 5.9%
Jabar Gaffney Houston 5 6.3%
Larry Fitzgerald Arizona 10 6.4%
Chris Cooley Washington 6 6.5%
Marcus Pollard Detroit 5 6.7%
Deion Branch New England 8 6.7%
Jermaine Wiggins Minnesota 6 6.7%

If last season is any indication, the best receivers don't drop only one pass for every 99 they catch. The best ratio is more like one drop for every 40 catches.

It was no surprise to see Marvin Harrison near the top of this list, but I was somewhat surprised to see T.J. Houshmandzadeh rank No. 1 in this category. Houshmandzadeh is known as a very good possession receiver, but this chart shows he may be one of the best.

Steve Smith's reputation as a home run threat is well earned, but having dropped only seven passes in 150 catchable attempts shows his hands are certainly underrated.

I also found it interesting to see two Seattle receivers -- Joe Jurevicius and Bobby Engram -- in the top 20. Having two of the most sure-handed receivers in the NFL certainly was a big reason Seattle was finally able to become a championship contender in 2005.

Let's also examine how the worst receivers in the league did (also a minimum of 40 catches to qualify).

Dropped Passes-2
Player Team Dropped passes Dropped pass %
Ernest Wilford Jacksonville 13 19.1%
Justin McCareins NY Jets 16 16.7%
Reggie Brown Philadelphia 13 16.3%
Roy Williams Detroit 13 14.6%
Brian Finneran Atlanta 11 14.3%
Erron Kinney Tennessee 10 14.1%
Antonio Bryant Cleveland 16 13.9%
M. Muhammad Chicago 18 13.6%
Greg Lewis Philadelphia 13 12.9%
Eddie Kennison Kansas City 14 12.8%
Randy McMichael Miami 12 12.0%
L.J. Smith Philadelphia 12 11.8%
Alge Crumpler Atlanta 13 11.5%
Mark Clayton Baltimore 9 11.3%
Donte' Stallworth New Orleans 14 11.2%
Chris Chambers Miami 17 11.0%
Todd Heap Baltimore 11 10.4%
Terrell Owens Philadelphia 9 10.2%
Plaxico Burress NY Giants 17 10.2%
Ben Troupe Tennessee 8 10.1%

This chart shows that Ernest Wilford dropped nearly one out of every five passes thrown to him last year. Despite this abysmal drop percentage, Wilford still ranked fourth in the league in total yards per catch attempt. Most of Wilford's drops came on accurate passes, so he has a ton of upside for the upcoming season.

Two highly touted rookie receivers -- Reggie Brown and Mark Clayton -- also found their way on this list. While their drop percentages were fairly close, Clayton was actually much more sure-handed when considering the accuracy of the passes each receiver dropped.

The accuracy of a pass is a subjective measurement, but I use a set of rules to hopefully limit its subjective nature. The rule of thumb I use to grade the accuracy of a pass is whether the receiver is forced to reach behind or dive to make the catch.

I segment dropped passes into three categories. The first is an accurate dropped pass. The blame for dropping an accurate pass falls completely on the wide receiver. The second is an inaccurate dropped pass. These are passes that are thrown outside of the receiver's catching frame, but are still catchable. A receiver may not catch all of these passes but the best ones still catch most of them.

The third type of dropped pass is what I call stripped/drop passes. These are passes a receiver gets his hands on, but has the ball stripped away by the defender for an incompletion. Most scoring systems list these as passes defensed. However, since the receiver got his hands on the ball and had it stripped away, I figure it should be segmented away from the standard pass defensed (i.e., when a DB knocks the pass down before it gets to the receiver).

So how did Clayton and Brown fare in these categories? Four of Clayton's nine total drops came on accurate passes, while only three came on inaccurate passes and two on stripped passes. Meanwhile, nine of Brown's 13 drops came on accurate passes, while only four were due to inaccurate passes and none were due to stripped passes. The nine accurate pass drops tied Brown for fifth-worst in the league in that category last year.

Having a pair of good pass-catching hands is a natural talent, but as Raymond Berry proved years ago, it is also something that can be improved upon with practice. If these numbers are any indication, Reggie Brown has the most room for improvement of any second-year wide receiver.

KC Joyner, aka The Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. His latest book, Scientific Football 2006, is now available for preorder at his Web site, http://thefootballscientist.com.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Best and Worst Hands in the NFL

Where did Hines and CJ rank?
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Excellent post 85.

The football scientist always comes up with some great analysis from statistics.

To me, it is absolutely no surprise that there are so many Eagles on the list of highest % catch droppers - they have a deserved reputation in this area.

Housh's stats are impressive for sure - that does have possession reciever written all over it.

Good to see my man Branch breaking the top 20.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Glad we have nobody on one list, and wish we had somebody on the other list
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

i think heath miller only missed about 2 throws all year. but he probably didnt have the required 40 receptions. very telling stat that seattle went from having 2 of the worst (butterfingers k. robinson, and hands of stone d. jackson) to addressing the problem with 2 of the best and landing in the sb.

add alligator arms pinkston to the eagles list, and remember that they dumped "id like to thank my hands" fred ex, and it becomes appearant that it wasnt just injuries that did them in and found them out of the playoffs. if your gonna be a passing team you must be able to convert. good article!
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Holy Mother of God, Plax dropped a full 10% of his passes!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Holy Mother of God, Plax dropped a full 10% of his passes!
I thought you guys would appreciate that stat.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Great post man. Rep points to you! I would like to see a Steeler in that top list but I know from last season we throw less and it just f*cks us over from a statistical standpoint to get highly ranked in passin. So many wonder how we do so well when it can seem statistically the Steelers don't always rank on top for certain areas. I believe it has to do with the fact that wit the Steelers team is a group that is "greater than the sum of its parts." However, with the chance of throwin more this season we may get a better chance of gettin on both lists (lets hope for the top one). Good to see Plax is bein humbled slightly as well as TO. I have nothin against Plax as of now but I cannot stand TO. Peace.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Glad to see E. Parker on that first list, he's as good as posession receiver as you can find.

Nice post.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Excellent post 85

I would add, without taking anything away from a well-written article, that there is more to being a reciever than catching the ball...Eddie Kennison is a case in point...Cant/Wont block to save his life ...can get the worst case of alligator arms in the NFL if smacked in the mouth at the beginning of the game...and doesnt run crisp routes
TJ on the other hand not only doesnt drop balls....He is precise in his routes ..but can get up smiling after a big hit...making him dangerous in traffic. He might not be the blocker that Ward is but he wont shy away from contact. Give me a well-rounded WR anyday over a sure-handed speedster. You can always bring someone else up to help cover that type of WR...but a technician can KILL your defense...and if he doesnt get the ball thrown his way...he WILL make you regret forgetting that they are the down-field blockers.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 06-10-2006 at 03:57 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote