Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #101
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099
Default Re: Not so fast

Really? They lost by 13 points and turned the ball over only 3 times. The Steelers turned the ball over 7 times and lost by 4 TDs!!! The Ravens loss hardly equates to them being punched in the mouth. More like someone tied their shoe laces together for a quick laugh.

The Steelers went toe to toe for the heavy weight championship against the Ravens and got knocked the fugh out in the first round. Then they got a consolation fight against an 80 year old, washed up former contender in the Seahawks.

No my friend, a Steeler win against a bottom feeder and a Raven loss to a mediocre team does not mean everything is right in the world again.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #102
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,622 Times in 2,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
No my friend, a Steeler win against a bottom feeder and a Raven loss to a mediocre team does not mean everything is right in the world again.
- PANIC!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #103
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Really? They lost by 13 points and turned the ball over only 3 times. The Steelers turned the ball over 7 times and lost by 4 TDs!!! The Ravens loss hardly equates to them being punched in the mouth. More like someone tied their shoe laces together for a quick laugh.

The Steelers went toe to toe for the heavy weight championship against the Ravens and got knocked the fugh out in the first round. Then they got a consolation fight against an 80 year old, washed up former contender in the Seahawks.

Uh, the "bottom feeder" the Steelers beat had a better record last year than the "mediocre" team the mighty contending Ravens just lost to, and whose "world class defense" got torched by an over the hill Hasselbeck.

Do everyone a favor and come in off the ledge already, friend.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #104
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Really? They lost by 13 points and turned the ball over only 3 times. The Steelers turned the ball over 7 times and lost by 4 TDs!!! The Ravens loss hardly equates to them being punched in the mouth. More like someone tied their shoe laces together for a quick laugh.i

We went toe to toe with gb while the rats were fuming about losing another huge game to us. Playing balt in balt week1 was A setup for a let down. A real contender with a world class defense and improving offense wouldn't fall flat against an equally pathetic tenn team. Tenn had more to play for just as balt had last week against us.

And your math doesn't do you any favors 3 turnovers loss by nearly 2 tds is pretty close to more than 6 turnovers loss by 4 tds. They gave up similar points per turnover as we did. So why are they a contender and we arent? A loss is a loss is a loss in this league
Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #105
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Scuse me but when they won the first SB Faneca was still there and the O line was in top form. Most of the defense was 6 years younger too there hotshot.

You say that a great QB is one of the most important things in the game today? How the **ck do you expect ANY QB to be successful if he is being gang tackled on every damn snap??? Edge pass rushers? Don't think so..

Out of the recent SB champions, only the Steelers and the Giants had good defenses with good pass rushers.

Pats? Nope. Unstoppable offense won them theirs.

Saints? Nope. See above.

Colts? Nope. See above.

Packers? Little better but not great.

You see a pattern here? All these teams have explosive, spread offenses with great O lines and great QBs. They could give a **it less about spending a bunch on great defensive players because they don't need them. They will light your a** up and still beat you if you hang 30 on them.

I hate it as much as the next guy but this is the NFL now. Goodell got what he wanted and now we have games every week with 500 yards trough the air and scoring galore. That doesn't bode well for an aging defense and an inept offense. For God's sake look at the Bills! Even they have the offense clicking. Freaking Cam Newton is throwing for 400 yards every week! Chad freaking Henne hung over 400 on the Pats! Matt Hasselbeck torched the Ravens for over 350 last week!

All of that and Ben couldn't top 300 against the Seahawks with ONE TD and Mendy barely got over 60 yards with ONE TD? The offense goes in spurts and sputters and it is partly the O line and partly Arians. The era of **** it back and let it fly is upon us and the Steelers are still lost in the 70s.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #106
finesward
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Uh, the "bottom feeder" the Steelers beat had a better record last year than the "mediocre" team the mighty contending Ravens just lost to, and whose "world class defense" got torched by an over the hill Hasselbeck.

Do everyone a favor and come in off the ledge already, friend.
Hold it down six. I'm going to bed.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #107
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesward View Post
And your math doesn't do you any favors 3 turnovers loss by nearly 2 tds is pretty close to more than 6 turnovers loss by 4 tds. They gave up similar points per turnover as we did. So why are they a contender and we arent?
Hey, when Warren Sapp says it's over, it's over.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #108
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I don't know, but I'm sure a lot more recently than the last time we even won a less meaningful game against the pats. When was the last time we beat a brady-led team?
Ask and you shall receive.....we beat them 34-21 during the 2004 regular season, ending their 21-game winning streak since winning the SB the year before. We won by abandoning the "drop back and cover" defense and just rushing Brady like he is any other QB, and when you rush Brady and put even a little bit of pressure on him-- he IS just like any other QB.

It was how the Giants beat them in the SB in 2007 as well. If there is any game where Lebeau should not abandon the pass rush in favor of dropping everybody back, it is against the Pats.

Most of us fans have known for a while the way to beat Brady is to play press coverage and rush the sh1t out of him. When he starts getting hit-- his game goes from best to worst. He is not Big Ben, he is just lucky he has a top-rated Oline that can give him years back there to think about where he is gonna throw. Unfortunately though, whenver we play them, we always revert to a Nickel package and expect Woodley and Harrison to cover tight ends and the speedy Danny Woodhead, instead of just rushing them and punching Brady in the mouth. But then again, I am no coach, and Dick lebeau's undewear probably knows more about football than I do.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #109
finesward
Team Captain

Quote:
Scuse me but when they won the first SB Faneca was still there and the O line was in top form. Most of the defense was 6 years younger too there hotshot.

You say that a great QB is one of the most important things in the game today? How the **ck do you expect ANY QB to be successful if he is being gang tackled on every damn snap??? Edge pass rushers? Don't think so..

Out of the recent SB champions, only the Steelers and the Giants had good defenses with good pass rushers.

Saints? Nope. See above.

Colts? Nope. See above.

I
You see a pattern here? All these teams have explosive, spread offenses with great O lines and great QBs. They could give a **it less about spending a bunch on great defensive players because they don't need them. They will light your a** up and still beat you if you hang 30 on them.

I hate it as much as the next guy but this is the NFL now. Goodell got what he wanted and now we have games every week with 500 yards trough the air and scoring galore. That doesn't bode well for an aging defense and an inept offense. For God's sake look at the Bills! Even they have the offense clicking. Freaking Cam Newton is throwing for 400 yards every week! Chad freaking Henne hung over 400 on the Pats! Matt Hasselbeck torched the Ravens for over 350 last week!

All of that and Ben couldn't top 300 against the Seahawks with ONE TD and Mendy barely got over 60 yards with ONE TD? The offense goes in spurts and sputters and it is partly the O line and partly Arians. The era of **** it back and let it fly is upon us and the Steelers are still lost in the 70s.
As long as the 21st century version of the 70s steelers team makes it to the sb and comes within the final drive of winning I'm cool with that. Win some lose some. You want. Great offense u r going to sacrifice having a great defense

To counter poor pass pro u typically run the ball well which our line has shown they can do in spurts. This is a new line give it some time. I thought they did pretty well last year. Considering all the injuries it could be much much worse than it is.

Last time pats won any impt game they had one of the best defenses in the nfl. I'm not sold on air Brady till they win a game that matters

Manning had a freak of a edge rusher who gave him all those short fields to work with during his sb year. Saints weren't exactly slouched on defense either.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #110
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,622 Times in 2,867 Posts

Quote:

Saints? Nope. See above.

Colts? Nope. See above.

so what youre saying is that 3 of the last 6 (50%) of superbowl champions had dominant edge pass rushers?

i rest my case.

as for the rest, you are absolutely clueless.

the patriots won their 1st sb with an unknown 2nd year qb and rb a. smith. it was their opponent who was the unstoppable "greatest show on turf". as for their other 2 wins, the panthers and eagles stood in there toe to toe. it was the pats defense and special teams that made the difference.

saints won with a team that lead the league in defensive td's scored and takeaways. their special teams secured an onside kick.

colts beat the bears with a dominant running game and late interception.

green bay won with a clay mathews turnover and 2 intercedptions, which isnt suprising being that one of the leagues greatest defensive minds is their DC.

as for the rest, you can argue with me, but you cant argue with the NFL. qb's get paid more than left tackles (franchise tag values being the standard) and until wacky al davis artificially inflated the price of asomugha, DE's get paid more than CB's.

safeties have one of the lowest tag values, so what the hell does that say about your absurd secondary theory?