Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #121
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
A dose of common sense.

If the Steelers make the playoffs, it will be because of their schedule not because they actually deserve it. That's the way I see it now.

Of course, they could get better, but I highly doubt it for a mutlitude of reasons.

The o-line stinks.

Mendenhall ain't that good, and the Steelers won't put Redman in for whatever reason. They won't run the ball consistently against quality competition.

Ben is overrated, face it. He is to stupid or inaccurate to make quick throws which his o-line requires. Plus, the new enforcement of the 'within the grasp' rule will hurt him tremendously when he isn't playing the Seahawks. So, he won't be able to play guirilla football as much this season. Without having much of a brain, I don't see him having much success this year. It's time for the real Big Ben to stand up.

The lone bright spot for the offense is Mike Wallace. But he can't do it by himself. Hines sucks, face it. The Steelers need to put Sanders on the field; he's much better. Even if 88 gets playing time, though, 2 good WRs with a crappy QB, crappy o-line, and crappy running game doesn't make an explosive offense.

On defense, they'll stop the run, but that's about it. Ike Taylor can cover one WR pretty well, but most teams have more than one. Which means somebody will always be open.

The blue-print has been produced by Belichek, and it seems as though Harbaugh has found a copy as well. If won't be long before other coaches to figure it out, if they haven't already. Granted, some teams just don't have the personel to beat the Steelers even with the proper game-plan. The Steelers will beat the Seahawks, the Bengals, the Colts, the Browns, the Chiefs mostly because those teams suck. Pittsburgh should be glad they have a soft schedule this year, because they need it.
may i ask what is the difference between now , and last years 12 - 4 team that made the superbowl ?
was ben smarter and made quick throws ?
did the oline not stink ?
was mendenhall pretty good and shared time equally with redman ?
did they have a better cornerback to compliment ike ?
did belicheat release his blueprint just a few weeks ago ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #122
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
I know I will get flamed for this and ripped up and down but I'm saying it anyway.

A lot of you are going on about how the Steelers are "back to form" and that last week was just a "off day".

I'm here to say that there was nothing impressive at all out there today. The Seahawks are BAD, really bad. They have little in the way of offense and even less in the way of defense.

Mendy and Redman broke some runs today but they got stuffed quite a bit too. Mendy was dancing around in the backfield a lot, looking for a hole that wasn't provided by the O line. The Steelers were inside the 10 twice and came away with 3 points. They continue to struggle near the goal line and have no answers for it.

Ben got beat up again today. I didn't watch last week's game but from what I have heard, Ben was destroyed handily by the Ravens. He goes from one of the best defenses in the league to one of the worst and continues to get pounded. Your $100 million QB should not be taking that abuse. He is one blindside sack away from another concussion or major injury that could end his season or career.

Sure, the D got a shutout but it is Seattle that we are talking about! It is extremely difficult to shut out any NFL teams but it is far from being really impressive. I mean, we're talking about Tavaris Jackson and Golden Tate here! I'll give them props but it was nothing earth shattering.

Receivers looked good today in spite of Ben throwing numerous high balls their way. Wallace's impressive finger tip catch and Ward's tip toe catch were especially impressive. Sanders also had a good game again and Brown was visible.

The whole point is that Seattle is NOT Baltimore. Baltimore is a contender and Seattle is not. If Flacco could carve up the secondary like that, how are they going to stop Brady when he comes to town? He may well set the single game passing record against us! They will also have to face Shaub and a new Matt Hasselbeck, not to mention the Titans' front 7 which will likely be in Ben's grill all day.

The Steelers have MAJOR issues right now and it doesn't look good. Maybe they will find ways to fix them but then again, maybe not. They will have serious problems against contender teams if they can't find ways to correct their shortcomings. The "explosive offense" that was supposed to take pressure off an aging D is not looking very good right now. The O line was a concern all through the off season and it is rearing it's ugly head already just two games in.
All I saw against Seattle was the "other" extreme.

Against Baltimore, we were extremely bad and against Seattle we were extremely good (or at least efficient).

Neither game is any true example of what we're about this year and until we can rack up some "W's" against solid opponents, we still won't know.

Next week is Indy without Manning. Granted it's in their house but come on, if we don't beat the crap out of them we'll know even less about this year's Steelers.

In all honesty, judging by our schedule, it won't be until late October/early November until we can get a true sense of where we're at and even then we might not really know for sure. This is one of those years where we may never really get a chance to truly gauge this team until playoff time.

And quite frankly, as long as there IS a "playoff time" I really don't care all that much about how we rank because at that point, we'd just have to be good enough to win 3 or 4 games in a row.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #123
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

The biggest problem is we rode the old guys to long...and they make to much money which hurts the cap for us to afford better OL...The fact we made the SuperBowl last year was great but if we had gone to New England we would never have went...Thanks Jets!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #124
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
may i ask what is the difference between now , and last years 12 - 4 team that made the superbowl ?
Not much has changed with the Steelers, and that's the problem.They're essentially the same team a year older, with a worse offensive line, a rule change which will hurt their dumbass quarterback, and nobody really new to help their weaknesses from last year.

I didn't want to imply that they absolutely suck. They're a slightly above average team, in my opinion. But they aren't elite this season. Coming off a Super Bowl season with high expectations, Steelers fans will probably be dissappointed this season,

Last edited by cloppbeast; 09-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #125
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,374 Posts

Uh oh - are we going to have to start rallying around the "their too old" or "let's win one for Ward" theme?

Look - I think what is frustrating for a lot of people is that Green Bay was in some ways the NFC version of New England and we were 1 less turnover away from probably conquering that type of team. Despite our worst effort - we still only lost by 6.

My guess is we will at the least give New England a great game this time around. This group of guys knows how to handle a team that beat them bad the last time around - it is one thing you can't measure, that helps us in rematches...and that's heart.

I'm confident we will avenge our loss against Bmore and probably secure the division when all is said and done. We just have "that" team on the back of our minds all the time. We won't keep getting lucky and avoiding them in the playoffs. That combined with the SB that got away - we are all aching to make a final stand . . .(que Rocky music)

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #126
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Wow, I'm just surprised this many negative people still exist. Thought they all bumped themselves off after week 1. Guess we'll have to wait for another loss or two just to shake off the tough ones that refuse to just let go and end it all. Afterall, 14-2 or 13-3 is just too big a burden to carry on.

Call me crazy, but I'm glad the Steelers are 1-1 and not 0-2. I'm encouraged they beat a bad Seahawks team 24-0 (taking care of business is taking care of business). Is there more tune up work to do? Yes. But this team has shown us they aren't so bad they are going to lose games they should win and that they have enough pride to move on from a bad game. Can't wait to see how they improve when they play the Colts.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #127
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I'm glad the Steelers are 1-1 and not 0-2. I'm encouraged they beat a bad Seahawks team 24-0 (taking care of business is taking care of business).
I'm also very happy they shut out an offense commanded by Tavaris Jackson. lol. However, taking care of business against Andrew Luck's future team doesn't get me all that excited.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #128
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
However, taking care of business against Andrew Luck's future team doesn't get me all that excited.
Then don't watch the game.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #129
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Im pretty sure the Ravens game was our worst effort in recent memory.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #130
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Then don't watch the game.
lol. great response.

I didn't know we were discussing whether or not I should watch the game. I thought we were discussing whether or not we should be excited about a win agaisnt the Seahawks.

I must have posted in the wrong thread.
Closed Thread