Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #41
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Not so fast

in a general sense, you are right.

My first and only real thought after the game was that while we beat Seattle soundly, it certainly didn't prove anything to me. Seattle is so awful they are likely one of the worst 2 or 3 in the league. Its surprising to me to see so much excitement around these parts after this "win".
Don't get me wrong, i'm glad we won the game, but i have a hunch the next time we play a contender, its not going to go like this did. If it would, i'd be pleasantly surprised, but i doubt it.
We need to be beating Patriot teams, Raven teams, Saints teams, etc. Not much here to be excited about at this point. And the Colts looked like anything but "elite" this week w/out Manning. I'm not sure how impressive a win there would be right now either.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #42
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,630 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
in a general sense, you are right.

My first and only real thought after the game was that while we beat Seattle soundly, it certainly didn't prove anything to me. Seattle is so awful they are likely one of the worst 2 or 3 in the league. Its surprising to me to see so much excitement around these parts after this "win".
Don't get me wrong, i'm glad we won the game, but i have a hunch the next time we play a contender, its not going to go like this did. If it would, i'd be pleasantly surprised, but i doubt it.
We need to be beating Patriot teams, Raven teams, Saints teams, etc. Not much here to be excited about at this point. And the Colts looked like anything but "elite" this week w/out Manning. I'm not sure how impressive a win there would be right now either.
i agree with you to some extent, but to be a playoff team, you also have to win the easy games. i'll take this win. we will get a better guage of where we stand after playing the texans, but for now, the team needs to focus on indy
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #43
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

I hope, and I think he will, that Tomlin continues to remind the players that this win doesn't mean squat in the scheme of things. He was right to talk about the "stench" of the Ravens game lingering for a long time.

They opened the season against a bitter rival with MAJOR division implications and they stink it up BAD. The division always comes down to the wire and they coughed one up right off the bat.

The explosive offense wasn't there. The vicious defense wasn't there. The only thing that was there was the special teams, aka Antonio Brown.

Ben will get destroyed out there against great defensive teams if things don't get shored up soon. The secondary will continue to get lit up against good passing teams because the pass rushers can't get any pressure anymore.

What I am trying to say is that until the Steelers beat a quality opponent (Texans, Patriots, Ravens), they have nothing to be happy or excited about. Sure they can build confidence on these bottom feeders but you don't play bottom feeders come playoff time.

This was supposed to be an explosive offense this season with burners like Wallace, Brown, and Sanders carving up secondaries and Mendenhall and Redman pounding it down teams' throats week in and week out. Instead, as I expected, the O line can't keep defenders off Ben long enough to let those guys get open and they are even having a hard time opening holes for the run game. Ben is getting pounded time and time again and nearly had his season and possibly career ended yesterday.

To top it off, the veteran D that was number 2 in the league last year, looked tired and uninterested against Baltimore. The secondary remains the problem that it has been for years now and in a league that loves to pass, that spells trouble. It used to be that the Steeler pass rushers were constantly in the face of the opposing QB, forcing him to rush passes and getting sacks on him. This took a lot of pressure off of the secondary and masked their ineptitude. Now teams have invested heavily in their offensive lines and the pass rushers have a hard time getting to the QB. He is able to sit in the pocket and pick apart guys like McFadden and Gay and the like.

IMO, the two most important areas to focus on in today's NFL is the O line and the secondary. The Steelers have refused to address these areas in recent years. They have a $100 million QB and they continue to let him take a beating behind a suspect O line. They can't utilize their weapons because Ben doesn't have the time to find them.

On the flip side, they have a very pedestrian secondary that gets exposed more and more every year and they refuse to address that as well. I'm sorry but this so called "all world" linebacker corps is not getting the job done. They are getting old and are becoming less and less effective at pressure. It is time to invest in a more balanced D instead of only worrying about stuffing the run with the front 7. It is a pass happy league now and secondary is key.

Until they defeat a quality opponent and look good doing it, I'm not going to feel too confident about their chances at number 7. Sure, I'm hoping that it all comes together just as much as the next guy but it isn't looking great so far.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #44
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

That settles it, then. Time to forfeit the rest of the season and for me to find a high ledge to jump off.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #45
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Keep laughing. I'm getting tired of all the homers accusing others that have genuine concerns of getting ready to end it all because of a loss.

ANYTHING can happen and I hope that they end up 15-1 with another SB ring but as of now, they have issues, that is what I am saying.

Kudos on the win but they still need to realize that it means nothing in the scheme of things. They have many things to work on and a win against the worst team in football shouldn't be putting smiles on anyone's face.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #46
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
That settles it, then. Time to forfeit the rest of the season and for me to find a high ledge to jump off.
Look, I am as big a Steelers fan as you will find. I believe that they will make the playoffs, but as the team is made up now it would take a miracle for them to beat the patriots. The only thing that might slow down the patriots offense is terrible weather. Our offense hasnt shown that they can put up 30 plus points regularly and I believe that is what it takes to be a great team in todays NFL.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #47
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerjim58 View Post
Look, I am as big a Steelers fan as you will find. I believe that they will make the playoffs, but as the team is made up now it would take a miracle for them to beat the patriots. The only thing that might slow down the patriots offense is terrible weather. Our offense hasnt shown that they can put up 30 plus points regularly and I believe that is what it takes to be a great team in todays NFL.
This post pretty much underscores my earlier comments about the Patriots being so deeply embedded in the psyche of so many Steelers fans that it's just about reached the point of being pathetic. There are 31 other teams in the league besides the Patriots. Bottom line is they haven't won a postseason game in four years and a Super Bowl in seven. I'm tired of hearing about the damn Patriots.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #48
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Keep laughing. I'm getting tired of all the homers accusing others that have genuine concerns of getting ready to end it all because of a loss.

ANYTHING can happen and I hope that they end up 15-1 with another SB ring but as of now, they have issues, that is what I am saying.

Kudos on the win but they still need to realize that it means nothing in the scheme of things. They have many things to work on and a win against the worst team in football shouldn't be putting smiles on anyone's face.
I don't think anyone is laughing. Well, maybe some are, but that's fine. What I'm wondering is; what makes you think you're the only one who's noticed this? That makes two long rants in this thread directed at the very people who agree with you, to an extent. Just because we're not all overreacting and throwing in the towel doesn't mean we aren't just as concerned.

Again, I ask, what do you want? What do you want us to do about it? What do you want the Steelers to do about it? Just because you fell for the preseason hype of some "highpowered" offense, which turned out to be nothing more than talk, and others didn't is no reason to jump up and down screaming.

The team we have is the team we have. I think they can win a lot of games and we'll see what happens in January, but I don't think anything is going to come easy. It never does.

You don't like the OL? Welcome aboard, this train is packed. You want them to invest a lot of money and picks on DBs? I don't agree with that simply because of the rule changes that are making DBs irrelevant. But even if you're right, they can't do anything about it now. Relax, enjoy the season, we're all on the same side here. Mostly.

Geesh!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #49
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
They opened the season against a bitter rival with MAJOR division implications and they stink it up BAD. The division always comes down to the wire and they coughed one up right off the bat.

What I am trying to say is that until the Steelers beat a quality opponent (Texans, Patriots, Ravens), they have nothing to be happy or excited about. Sure they can build confidence on these bottom feeders but you don't play bottom feeders come playoff time.

you dont think they already know this? its week 2 man. lighten up.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #50
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

i agree we didn't really look that good against the seahawks.....we shoulda beat them by 42.....its early but im kinda scared
Closed Thread