Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #51
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,214 Times in 2,675 Posts
Default Re: Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor179 View Post
i agree we didn't really look that good against the seahawks.....we shoulda beat them by 42.....its early but im kinda scared
people are just gonna have to come to grips with the fact that we are just not as good as the detroit lions.

never will be, so might as well quit fussing about it, and move on.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #52
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
This post pretty much underscores my earlier comments about the Patriots being so deeply embedded in the psyche of so many Steelers fans that it's just about reached the point of being pathetic. There are 31 other teams in the league besides the Patriots. Bottom line is they haven't won a postseason game in four years and a Super Bowl in seven. I'm tired of hearing about the damn Patriots.

It is called being a realist. If you think anything other than injuries, weather or a freakish game like against the Jets in the playoffs will stop this patriots offense, you just are not paying attention.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #53
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

What I can't really understand is why the Steelers can't adapt to what the NFL has become.

Teams like the Pats, Saints, Packers and Colts are running these spread offenses with quick screens and slants to the receivers and let them do the rest. The Steelers have the speed and talent on the field to do this yet Arians still calls plays that have Ben sitting in the pocket for 4-5 seconds just waiting to be decked. Sure, Brady, Rodgers, Manning and Brees have good offensive lines but they are not as good as they seem. What sets those teams apart is their game plan. They are set on the QB getting rid of the ball quickly which keeps the pressure off of him. I thought that Ben and Arians were working on him getting rid of the ball more quickly this year? These fly routes that Wallace runs are great IF Ben has time to sit in the pocket and wait for him to get free. Sadly, that isn't the case. Perhaps it is time to adapt and start finding these guys on crossing routes and allow them to get some YAC.

Look, there are a lot of things that frustrate me about this team and I am sure I am not the only one.

The refusal to fix the O line.

The refusal to fix the secondary.

Arians' play calling at times.

Mendy's ballet in the backfield.

Ben floating too many passes.

The pass rusher's inability to, well, get a pass rush.

Sure, other teams have strengths and weaknesses but usually their strengths outweigh their weaknesses.

The Pats' D isn't the greatest but their great O line and high powered offense more than make up for it.

The Colts have been much the same way for years, basically out shooting their opponents.

The Packers' run D isn't the greatest but their explosive offense makes up for that in a big way.

The Saints have little in the way of a run game but their spread offense where Brees distributes the ball all around makes up for it.

On the flip side, some teams have shutdown defenses that help them overcome their weak offenses.

The Bears, Ravens, and Jets come to mind.

The Steelers used to be in that category but in recent years, the D has been quite porous at times while the offense continues to struggle.

The Steelers don't need to be GREAT in either area, just good in both. If they could reach a good balance in which the offense takes some pressure off the D and the D is able to make stops and give the offense a chance, they would surely be a contender.

As of now, I predict these teams in the AFC playoffs:

AFC East champion Patriots

AFC North champion Ravens

AFC West champion Chargers

AFC South champion Texans

Wildcard teams Steelers and Jets (possibly Raiders)

Out of all those teams, I see the Steelers struggling against ALL of them if things don't improve. A Pats match up speaks for itself. The Ravens D is better right now and they have a better O line. The Chargers offense could cause serious problems for the Steeler D. The Texans offense is the same way, full of weapons. The Jets D is better than the Steelers and would be in Bens' face all day. The Raiders are the true wildcard. You never know what Raiders team will show up but they have the talent and the toughness to beat the Steelers too.

Now before some of you blow your stacks and claim that I have already signed the Steelers off this year, that is not what I am saying. I am saying that the Steelers have shown little in the first two games that show me that they are ready to defend their AFC champions title. Other teams continue to add pieces and improve year after year, while the Steelers keep plodding along with the status quo. I realize that status quo has brought them 2 more SB rings in the past 6 years and one more trip but they are running out of time with their aging team. It's time to start fixing these holes and building the next dynasty. Thanks for the great memories guys but it is time to move on.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #54
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

You are such a god damn overreactive, overexaggerating whiner. Did you just start watching football? Do you think anybody cares whether or not an athletic sports team that you have nothing to do with has shown you enough? Just be quiet and watch the games.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #55
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerjim58 View Post
It is called being a realist. If you think anything other than injuries, weather or a freakish game like against the Jets in the playoffs will stop this patriots offense, you just are not paying attention.
They've lost 3 straight postseason games. They haven't won a title in seven years. That's reality. Stop swallowing the ESPN hype.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #56
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote:
They've lost 3 straight postseason games. They haven't won a title in seven years. That's reality. Stop swallowing the ESPN hype.
So they are clearly due to win?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
You are such a god damn overreactive, overexaggerating whiner. Did you just start watching football? Do you think anybody cares whether or not an athletic sports team that you have nothing to do with has shown you enough? Just be quiet and watch the games.
Well put.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #58
Sixburgher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
So they are clearly due to win?
Giving up 400+ yards to the likes of Chad Henne? Have my doubts.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #59
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote:
Giving up 400+ yards to the likes of Chad Henne? Have my doubts.
You and I agree

Pats have the Steelers number - unfortunately for New England you play more than one team in the playoffs

Pats since 2004 in playoffs

2005 - Denver road loss
2006 - Cough up 21-3 lead to Indy
2007 - 19-0 (not)
2009 - smacked around at home by Ravens
2010 - home loss to Jets

That's a lot of "freakish" games
Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #60
Sixburgher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You and I agree

Pats have the Steelers number - unfortunately for New England you play more than one team in the playoffs

Pats since 2004 in playoffs

2005 - Denver road loss
2006 - Cough up 21-3 lead to Indy
2007 - 19-0 (not)
2009 - smacked around at home by Ravens
2010 - home loss to Jets

That's a lot of "freakish" games

Agreed. And it also seems to me that until very recently, the Roethlisberger-led Steelers had the Flacco-led Ravens number as well. Things can change. Those results you posted also illustrate why they play the games.
Closed Thread