Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600
Default Not a typical LeBeau game

The Steelers in unusual fashion, chose not to blitz for the majority of today's game. Most of the day we saw a 3 or 4 man rush with little pressure on the QB. Forgive me for saying this, but that was a very ratbirdlike defensive plan. Other teams use it too, but it's usually a 43 philosophy. Just found it curious is all, I don't recall the last time we employed that style under LeBeau. Not since Haslett have we used it on a regular basis.

The result: 164 total yards (133 pass, 31 rush), 8 first downs, and 0 points. The seahawks had the ball for 21:16 and didn't cross midfield until the 4th qtr.

I know who we were playing. Just saying, not bad.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,735 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Not a typical LeBeau game

they were using a lot of press coverage too. either lebeau is trying new things or we were just showing zero respect for t. jackson and seattle's receivers.

though willie gay is more of a man corner, the change in defensive scheme could have been because we were missing mcfadden who is more of a zone guy. have to play to the strengths of your roster
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I loved the result today but our defense got zero turnovers and zero pressure. SOmething to look out for when we play a good QB.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I loved the result today but our defense got zero turnovers and zero pressure. SOmething to look out for when we play a good QB.
I would have liked to see at least one turnover. With Keisel, Smith, Heyward and Hood, there is no reason that even rushing 3 or 4 that we can't get some pressure sometimes. It seemed like we had no pressure until the 4th quarter. I know it's just the Seahawks, but when the defense shuts down any NFL offense like that, it's pretty good. I'd like them to try it a few more games, especially against a passing team like the Texans. The only thing is I'd like to see Woodley and Harrison rushing a little bit more.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

It actually was similar to the last time we played Seattle when we shut them out. I think we played some version of the Tampa 2 then. There was very little pressure for the entire game up until late in the 4th quarter.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

There was some adequate pressure in the first half, though I agree that it could have been better. The fact that they blitzed very little and hardly stunted much had a lot to do with that though. I think that they felt it would be more effective to fluster Jackson with not having anywhere to throw to while presenting him with few looks at their actual pressure packages until the game situation called for it. Really, I find it difficult to complain about pressure when they didn't even make it into Steelers territory until a third of the way through the 4th quarter.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Sometimes blitzing a running QB will get you in trouble. I think dick decided to let Jackson beat us through the air, which he couldn't do.
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
We had some pressure and 5 sacks attest to that. The lack of turnovers is worrisome but Troy dropped what would have been a pic six.
But if the Steelers can win by shutout playing this style of D, then that gives the other NFL teams more to think about.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Sometimes blitzing a running QB will get you in trouble. I think dick decided to let Jackson beat us through the air, which he couldn't do.
Bingo, we have a winner! Why risk a blitz if there isn't a need to?

It seemed that once Jackson and the offense started to get in a rhythm (and threaten the shutout!) that dick released the hounds and once he got knocked around some and knocked off his rhythm, dick went back to the original plan.
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
We had what 4 sacks and Troy dropped that would be int with no one in front of him. How often does that happen? Zero turnovers yeah but the pressure was OK.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote