Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: No-Huddle for Ben, next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
now is not the time to become complacent and rest on what worked last year. some new wrinkles will be great to keep defenses thinking. and ben can definitely handle it.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Santonio4
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2307

I dont think we should go to the no-huddle because we are a clock management team and thats not how you control the clock.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,946 Times in 4,534 Posts

in 1995 we led the league in scoring in the final 2 minutes of the half, or game. neil odonnel was great at running the no huddle, 2 minute drill. we had weapons like c. johnson, e. mills, y. thigpen, graham and kordell, to go 5 wide with no problem. i still remember the game against the colts where we scored 14 points in the final 2 minutes of the half, and proceeded to kick their butts.

if ben proves he can handle it, which i think he will and has, cowher wont be scared to use this tactic.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
in 1995 we led the league in scoring in the final 2 minutes of the half, or game. neil odonnel was great at running the no huddle, 2 minute drill. we had weapons like c. johnson, e. mills, y. thigpen, graham and kordell, to go 5 wide with no problem. i still remember the game against the colts where we scored 14 points in the final 2 minutes of the half, and proceeded to kick their butts.

if ben proves he can handle it, which i think he will and has, cowher wont be scared to use this tactic.
I dont think anyone doubts that Ben has the talent to make most things work.

However, realistically does this years WR even compare with that WR corps you listed from the O'Donnell years?

You have lost randle El - and its a given that Santonio will take a season or two to settle in - who exactly is going to be catching these no huddle passes?

Another quickie - why would the Steelers make it public that they were thinking of running no-huddle next year?

Even if people spotted it at TC im sure they could have done plenty of work on it behind closed doors.

I smell a red herring.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,946 Times in 4,534 Posts

i left andre hastings out of that 95 mix. that was a deep corp of wr back then, but none matched hines ward and we have heath miller. the weapons are there to go no huddle with ben. i dont see why they would need to be hush hush about implementing a few new offensive things. its not like the colts or bengals go out of the way to keep certain things they do under wraps. most smart defensive coaches are already planning for a more smart and explosive steelers qb.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
the weapons are there to go no huddle with ben.

I agree. Between Hines, Miller, Wilson, Holmes, Morgan and Duce out of the backfield I think we have the tools in order to run the no-huddle.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #17
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I'd say if the situation calls for it, then turn him loose. I think we still need to mix it up a little to keep oppossing defenses honest. I can see Big Ben orchestrating a few no huddle two minutes left in the game drives.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
ball control is important to keep our defense off the field and keep them fresh. but the coaches realize it is important to let the offense have fun. im sure the offense looks at how the defense is able to play no holds barred and with wreckless abandon and they wanna do the same.

ben has been developed at the perfect pace and i dont think the evolution of his game will stop just cause the ultimate success was achieved. now is not the time to become complacent and rest on what worked last year. some new wrinkles will be great to keep defenses thinking. and ben can definitely handle it.

I am not saying become complacent but we will be able to do what we do better cause of the young guys haveing more knowledge of how to do it( Heath Ben Willie to name a few).
I hate that stand over your o-line and yell crap that Peyton and Carson does. I want to see Willie Veron Dan and Duce tear up the turf running the ball with a mix of Ward Heath and whoever else catching a few to keep the defense honest. That no huddle stuff best left for 2 mins left in half time or trying to come back late in the 4th qtr. We run the ball thats what we do and we do it damn good!!!

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #19
William Munney
Water Boy

Member Number: 2379

I like it Ben wanting more. They can run the ball, pound it, throw to backs, a TE, they have speed to stretch the field. Now a now huddle wrinkle.
William Munney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #20
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
So what do you guys and gals think? Are we ready to cut the kid loose with a no-huddle offense at times? After this past season I see no reason why he can't handle the situation. He's matured quicker than any QB I have seen in a long, long time.
I agree and see no reason as well why Ben couldn't the no huddle or an expanded role. The Steelers will always be a run team no doubts there. The Steelers tried the pass happy offense with Tommy and that failed bad in the 2003 season. But we have the young franchise young QB now and with all the weapons he has. There is no reason to hold the full potential of this offense back.

Plus the passing game will only take the heat off our running game. You never want to become predictable. The Steelers offense had the potential to be one of the best in the NFL.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote