Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #31
Steel4ever95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18825
Default Re: Keisel Injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The way Smith is looking, I think it's over for him. I like Smith a lot, he's served the Steelers well and he is a true Steeler, but we are getting zero production from him it seems. Keisel and Smith played horrible against Baltimore, to my surprise, cause Keisel played well last year. Next game though Keisel stepped up and made some plays, I didn't see anything, not a single thing, from Smith against and inferior team. Hood played well last year and has earned the spot. I would say give Smith one more game to see if he comes around, if not, Hood should be starting and playing 75% of the time. Keisel looks like he's getting back to form, but it's only one game that he played well in and it wasn't extremely well. I think Keisel will get back to playing really good this year so I'm not going to go into hypothetical's about "what if he doesn't", but he shouldn't be in there every snap or 99% of the snaps. For that matter, none of the DE's should. I played junior leagues, high school, and college ball as a DE and LB. I know things are done differently at that level, but there was a good amount of rotation. If I was coaching I would start Hood and rotate Smith in every now and then for a set of downs here and there, keeping Hood "fresh", keeping Smith active, and getting overall better play from both of them because they will not be as tired. I would do the same with Heyward and Keisel, start Keisel, if he's having a monster game leave him in 90% of the time. If not, Heyward should be playing 30% or so of the snaps in the first 3 quarters. By doing this, you keep everybody "fresh", you get your young guy Heyward playing time while keeping your best DE Keisel ready to go when it counts the most. You also get to play the player who is playing the best in the 4th quarter when it counts, rather then just having to stick with whoever you started. I don't see a downside to it, I've seen first hand the benefits of it, I just don't see how NFL coaches don't see it. It would be different if Hood played bad last year and Heyward was a 6th round pick, but we got some guys behind our vets that can play, lets play them. I just really don't see how NFL coaches don't get it with so many things, but as a few mentioned before, maybe they are purposely holding the young guys back.
Agree with what you had to say on the rotation, situation. It takes some time for rookies to get used to the speed of the game, and in Heywards case the lockout hurt him a bit in not getting time to learn the playbook. I would like to see him out there for a few snaps every game just so he can get a taste for the NFL, and get some on the job learning exp. The d-line is gunna be in for a big change sooner or later it would be nice to get the young guns some playing time.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,923 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I'll say this - the defense didn't get old overnight or that much slower since last season. BUT - I do feel it is time to get some young blood injected into the line. Cripe - even if we were sitting at 2-0 I'd be wanting to see Hood more , if not 60 to 70 percent of the time just because of his performance last year.

The D can't rest on its prior achievements - just hoping pride doesn't get in the way of progress. We need to start seeing some other guys step up.

That said - very excited at the possibilities again this season.

Here's to hoping Gilbert continues to improve - that can shape up to be some nice chemistry.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I agree that they didn't get much older since February, I don't think the age is the reason for the poor play game 1. I think Hood is a starter and Heyward could be so I don't think it's much of a risk having them in a lot in the first 3 quarters. Need to get them some experience before Heyward's third year or Hood's retirement lol.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Hood played about as much as Smith did last game and he's starting tonight, so can we relax please? I think Heyward also got 7 snaps and will probably gradually get more as the season goes on.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
Phillykeith
Water Boy

Member Number: 18609

Keisel is injured? What else is new! I like the guy but man it might be time to consider hanging 'em up. Ziggy Hood is going to be a good one IMO...
Phillykeith is offline   Reply With Quote