Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts
Default Re: Cut Scott tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Which brings up a question I've asked of all the Steelers beat writers, as well as several writers at ESPN, SI, etc., and I've yet to receive an answer: Why are offensive linemen getting taller, rather than shorter. noidea:
Other than an outlier such as Brees your prototypical QB is Brady/Peyton/Ben/Josh Freeman size and getting taller too

Leverage works if proper blocking technique counts - greater height and the longer arms that go with it counts for more under the holding that is called pass blocking these days?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #52
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Either way Scott still had a horrible game, maybe the worst ever for a LT. I don't see how the QB could not understand a play, but it sounds like it happened. I usually don't blame Ben for fumbling, especially when he gets hit in the back, but it's getting out of hand. I know he has zero time and no run game, which is a valid reason for why are passing game is lacking, but he still has to protect the ball. The Colts game was looking like a blowout untill the turnovers. All that said, Scott isn't an option for a starting tackle. He might be the worst I have ever seen.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #53
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
^^^^ great tidbit and inside nugget. unfortunately it will mostly fall on deaf ears.

a majority of people already got their minds made up. scott is rubbish and must go.

same thing happened to william gay when he was unable to tackle adrian peterson in the open field.
Okay what's the excuse for all the penalties and other plays he got beat on? There is none. This man is a terrible LT.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #54
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

yea i never thought i would be wanting to see flozell but bring him on
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Which brings up a question I've asked of all the Steelers beat writers, as well as several writers at ESPN, SI, etc., and I've yet to receive an answer: Why are offensive linemen getting taller, rather than shorter. Not only is there the leverage issue, but wouldn't you want you line blockers to be shorter than the QB, and significantly so? That one metric would improve his visibility and his longevity.
So they can cover as much ground as possible against a faster defense. You see DEs that run 4.5's but you have never seen an offensive tackle run a 4.5. So to make up the speed advantage their bodies have to cover more ground. That means a longer reach so they can pop a defender right away and longer strides so they can have a longer kick step in pass pro. Thats why tackles are the tallest, but for the interior lineman who are still decently tall, it still applies because they could be trying to pick up a fast linebacker or a DT who is not necessarily in their gap so they need to cover that extra ground. Leverage is the most important thing for a linemen to have. When I used to be a lineman the most important thing was to always stay low. That is why the 6'7 OTs have to have good knee bend and flexible hips so they stay low while blocking but still cover ground. I do not believe Jonathan Scott has this, but Marcus Gilbert may.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,531 Times in 2,346 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It is clear someone wants to get the word out the sack/fumble/TD was Ben's fault

Gerry Dulac with the P-G also is reporting that Ben did not execute the play and Scott blocked it properly

I found out today that the play in question -- second-and-10 at the Colts 42 in the second quarter – was supposed to be a draw with a quick-pass option

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

The difference is Dulac admits he was told about it while Kaboly from the Trib-Review leaves the impression he is the Ron Jaworski of western PA and figured it out by breaking down film

IMO the coaching staff is getting frustrated with Ben's early season carelessness with the ball and is putting out this information to the Trib-Review and P-G
I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again

At the very least, he could have stopped the progress of the colts defender, instead he stood there with his hands on his hips, watching ben get hit and doing NOTHING until the defender has a good 3 seconds to scoop the ball and start running with it.

what a worthless pile of shit.

the FO is just doing the politically correct thing by not throwing scott under the bus. however they're probably thinking what everyone else is, just we have nobody to replace him.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #57
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,531 Times in 2,346 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

watch this and tell me if this scrub belongs in a steeler uniform. this is just downright embarassing lol.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #58
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again

At the very least, he could have stopped the progress of the colts defender, instead he stood there with his hands on his hips, watching ben get hit and doing NOTHING until the defender has a good 3 seconds to scoop the ball and start running with it.

what a worthless pile of shit.

the FO is just doing the politically correct thing by not throwing scott under the bus. however they're probably thinking what everyone else is, just we have nobody to replace him.
+100000000000
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #59
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again.
It was a run - Kemo is 5 yards down the field past the line of scrimmage if you click on this link

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh...ack-11-yd-loss

Roethlisberger said he audibled to a pass to Wallace but nobody on the line knew it
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #60
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

Quote:

watch this and tell me if this scrub belongs in a steeler uniform. this is just downright embarassing lol.
Maybe he should block with his back more often.

Once he got his back turned, hw took out TWO rushers! Secret new technique?
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote