Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts
Default Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
when the offense gives away 13 points some people blame the defense? The defense gave up ONE ****ING DRIVE and was within inches of ending that drive, but they're the problem. In two games our offense has killed 10 drives by committing turnovers, but by and large the defense gets the blame. Oh I know IF, IF, IF someone had caught the ball
For the same reason why cops go with evidence instead of eyeball witnesses. because people see what they want to see sometimes. And it doesn't help that the NFL encourages even more to watch meaningless fantasy stats to determine what goes on in the game.

MOMENTUM is EVERYTHING in sports. And even more with the Steelers in their history.

Turnovers are turnovers. Doesn't matter if your line sucks, or you suck or whoever sucks. You can control turnovers if you pay attention. Ben might not be able to avoid sacks and an occasional turnover, but all I have been saying is if you know that you are in a situation where you are continuously getting sacked and stripped, how bout you adjust a little and at least protect the ball. 1 turnover is worse then 3 in and outs, 3 times in a row. Especially when we have a punter who can kick it to the moon.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm not sugar coating anything. THe simple fact is at least half the stuff the sky is falling crowd spews is absolute garbage. Our offense has given the ball away 10 times in 3 games and 13 times in the last 4. You can't blame the defense when they're constantly asked to defend a 10 yard field. When's the last time you heard of a team winning after turning the ball over 7 times? What's the W/L percentage when turning the ball over 3 times in a game?
with no TOs i still don't see the steelers beating the ravens at all. the steelers were completely destroyed by a better team that day.

the steelers' neglect of the O-line is killing them.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #43
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
with no TOs i still don't see the steelers beating the ravens at all. the steelers were completely destroyed by a better team that day.

the steelers' neglect of the O-line is killing them.
Yet once again you're spewing more garbage. We've spent 5 draft picks in the last 3 years addressing the o-line, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bs.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #44
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Yet once again you're spewing more garbage. We've spent 5 draft picks in the last 3 years addressing the o-line, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bs.
If you think our recent drafts were a serious attempt at addressing our o-line, think again.

11 - Gilbert - promising, but far from a guarantee

10 - Pouncey - great pick, but should have taken another OL somewhere in the top 4 rounds. Rather, we take Worilds, Sanders, Gibson. Not good.

09 - Urbik in the 3rd. Didn't pan out. I'd argue against Ziggy in the first round. Wallace in the 2nd is gold.

08 - Hills in the 4th. Then we take Sweed in 2nd, Bruce Davis in the 3rd. Pathetic.

07 - Stephenson in the 5th. That's it.

06 - Colon in the 4th. Pretty good value pick. However, over-valued by the Steelers.

05 - Trai Essex in the 3rd. Too high for the return, but serviceable as a back-up.

That's it. So, if this is addressing the line issues then we need to replace our talent evaluators. Pouncey is the only good pick in the bunch. The remainder are now junk.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #45
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,323 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
If you think our recent drafts were a serious attempt at addressing our o-line, think again.

10 - Pouncey - great pick, but should have taken another OL somewhere in the top 4 rounds. Rather, we take Worilds, Sanders, Gibson. Not good.

09 - Urbik in the 3rd. Didn't pan out. I'd argue against Ziggy in the first round. Wallace in the 2nd is gold.

08 - Hills in the 4th. Then we take Sweed in 2nd, Bruce Davis in the 3rd. Pathetic.

06 - Colon in the 4th. Pretty good value pick. However, over-valued by the Steelers.

05 - Trai Essex in the 3rd. Too high for the return, but serviceable as a back-up.

That's it. So, if this is addressing the line issues then we need to replace our talent evaluators. Pouncey is the only good pick in the bunch. The remainder are now junk.
I'd say gilbert is already better than j.scott, wouldn't call him junk. for the most part he did a really good job on robert mathis, which is nothing to sneeze at
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #46
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:

Well only one of those was in the 1st round, only one in the 2nd round. The rest were picked in the 3rd round or lower, and the 3rd rounder happens to be starting at guard for the undefeated Buffalo Bills, who are home to 2nd leading rusher in the league(he was first before D-Mac went sick on the Jets yesterday). The other two, one is a backup scrub who adds no real value in terms of high level offensive line play. And the fifth, I believe is no longer on the team, and may not even be in the league. That is not exactly what I would call a commitment to the O-line. So, if we're state facts, let's make sure we incluce them all. Don't leave out the inconvenient details.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #47
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:

What you fail too grasp or admit is the majority of all draft picks do not go on to be impact players. Also it doesn't help that we consistetnly draft at the bottom. Of course some of you claim we should be trading up, but here's a little news flash it takes two to tango. It also doesn't help that other teams have an effect on how and who we draft.

You can't have it both ways. People cry about how or D-line or LB'ers are old/slow and then complain that the FO should of used those picks on the o-line instead. "Farrior, Foote, Harrison are too old and slow" and then in the same breath"WTF were they thinking drafting a lb'er?"

It sucks, but Urbik is doing exactly what we drafted him to do and that's be a starting NFL Guard. He wasn't ready for a roster spot last year and we gambled and lost trying to sneak him onto the practice squad.

And since you love to deal with ifs and buts let's not forget that if it weren't for catastrophic injuries the o-line probably wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #48
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I'd say gilbert is already better than j.scott, wouldn't call him junk. for the most part he did a really good job on robert mathis, which is nothing to sneeze at
I agree. I don't mean to throw Gilbert in with that bunch. He's unproven, but definitely looks promising.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #49
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
Well only one of those was in the 1st round, only one in the 2nd round. The rest were picked in the 3rd round or lower, and the 3rd rounder happens to be starting at guard for the undefeated Buffalo Bills, who are home to 2nd leading rusher in the league(he was first before D-Mac went sick on the Jets yesterday). The other two, one is a backup scrub who adds no real value in terms of high level offensive line play. And the fifth, I believe is no longer on the team, and may not even be in the league. That is not exactly what I would call a commitment to the O-line. So, if we're state facts, let's make sure we incluce them all. Don't leave out the inconvenient details.

Rockon
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #50
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
What you fail too grasp or admit is the majority of all draft picks do not go on to be impact players. Also it doesn't help that we consistetnly draft at the bottom. Of course some of you claim we should be trading up, but here's a little news flash it takes two to tango. It also doesn't help that other teams have an effect on how and who we draft.

You can't have it both ways. People cry about how or D-line or LB'ers are old/slow and then complain that the FO should of used those picks on the o-line instead. "Farrior, Foote, Harrison are too old and slow" and then in the same breath"WTF were they thinking drafting a lb'er?"

It sucks, but Urbik is doing exactly what we drafted him to do and that's be a starting NFL Guard. He wasn't ready for a roster spot last year and we gambled and lost trying to sneak him onto the practice squad.

And since you love to deal with ifs and buts let's not forget that if it weren't for catastrophic injuries the o-line probably wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.
I realize draft picks are a crap shoot. I'm simply stating that we haven't made a commitment through the draft to upgrade our line as you suggested. We could have drafted our back-up LBs later in the draft rather than in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Worilds and/or Gibson were no threat to take over as a starter anytime soon. However, ANY decent OL-men would have had a legit shot to start on this team.