Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Gay Meter: still at +1

Gay did not cost us the game as Ike almost did getting fooled on Garcon's double move. Thank god for Painter's inaccuracy.

Gay was basically a non-factor. He had one good tackle to prevent a first down and gave up two catches for first downs. He had a good block on a punt return to free Antonio Brown.

Gay is flexible enough to play safety when Troy wants to play on the line and free lance as Troy does.

Overall, Gay gets a score of "0" for todays game and combined with prior weeks scores; he is at a +1 for the season.

(on a side note: Keenan Lewis played on the edge and look omniously like BMac in his coverage allowing Garcon to get passes for first downs in front of him. I hope he learns to play a little tighter)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Gay Meter: still at +1

Gay was active, and he actually got thrown at less than Ike. That says something.

Ike was decent except for the one play. Lewis still needs polish, surprisingly. Didn't notice Brown on any plays.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,309 Posts

in my pre-season prediction i said billy gay becomes a star lol....

so maybe a star isnt stinking.... lets get that gay meter in double digitis
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

He was OK, which is the most we can expect of him. Still, not getting thrown at almost at all is the best compliment you can give a corner. I'd like to suggest that he be at least at +2 or +3 right now.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

gay isn't that bad as people make out. i am not saying he is some all-pro, but he is serviceable and IMO he is better in coverage than mcfadden.

lewis might not be on the team next year.

i don't care what anyone says, learning the defense can't be that hard if you apply yourself and study hard. i would be studying the playbook 24/7. it may be more difficult than other defenses, but it shouldn't take 3 years to learn it.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,419 Times in 3,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
gay isn't that bad as people make out. i am not saying he is some all-pro, but he is serviceable and IMO he is better in coverage than mcfadden.

lewis is really starting to remind me of anthony smith (didnt he wear #23 as well?) seemingly all the talent in the world to be able to succeed at this level, but just not capable of putting it together mentally.

other than woodley and wallace, being a 2nd or 3rd round pick almost seems to be a curse with the steelers.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
He was OK, which is the most we can expect of him. Still, not getting thrown at almost at all is the best compliment you can give a corner. I'd like to suggest that he be at least at +2 or +3 right now.
As a Gay lover, i would love to boost his score but i would like to see him break up some passes before i give him positive scores. He played soft on a 3rd and 10 to give collie a first down and garcon got a big gain on him on their only Td drive. +1 seems reasonable now
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

i don't care what anyone says, learning the defense can't be that hard if you apply yourself and study hard. i would be studying the playbook 24/7. it may be more difficult than other defenses, but it shouldn't take 3 years to learn it.
Keenan Lewis allowed 2 receptions, according to Steelers Depot. I saw him playing up at the line in yesterday's game than McFadden probably has his entire career as well.

As far as the 'learning the defense' thing goes, it's not so much actually knowing what to do as much as it is having that knowledge become second nature where you react instead of think. I don't think it's a coincidence that everybody, from Hood to Woodley to Timmons, etc., has said the same thing. And again, the lack of an offseason didn't help either. By the away, Steelers Depot says that Ike Taylor came off the field for one play (which I didn't notice), and that it was Cortez Allen that came on to replace him.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I'm not gonna lie, I haven't been upset by Gay's play at all. He hasn't done anything great but he hasn't done anything horrible either, and considering what we're used to at the position that's about all we can ask for right now. He's played much better than Mcfadden did.

What makes me mad is, when the secondary finally seems to be getting it together, the front 7 is falling apart now. Aaron Smith, Casey, Farrior, and before the second half of yesterday's game Harrison all have looked like "Old, slow non factors" as Sapp keeps saying (as much as I hate to agree with him, he's right on this), and on top of that Woodley and Timmons are not playing at as high a level as I would hope (although Woodley always seems to start slow and get better later on so I'm not worried about him).

I do want to see Curtis Brown get significant chances and not just sit behind vets because I believe he could be a #2 starter by season's end if he's given a chance and doesn't just sit on the bench.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

He played well, he gave up some catches which will always happen to every corner, but he didn't get burnt. I think that's been the #1 thing for him in the last 2 weeks. Usually we see a WR 10 yards in front of him, jogging into the end zone, haven't seen that since week 1 where even Troy got burnt. He had a big hit to break up a pass last week and this week had a good tackle to prevent a first down. I honestly never thought he was capable of playing even this well, and to be honest I'm not sure why we didn't start Brown and give him a shot week 2, but I'm pretty happy with Gay right now. If he can just keep up play like this it will be a big benefit to the team. I'd like to see Brown more, Lewis just can't play well unless it's the preseason.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote