Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,219 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Some observations from yesterday's game

Feel free to add to this:

Welcome back James and Troy. James made a play when we needed it most, and Troy was all over the field. both look healthy

Ike taylor was lights out once again. Except for the play where painter missed a wide open garcon he was almost perfect

Aaron Smith needs to retire. Seeing him get driven to the 2nd level every other play is just downright difficult to watch. Smith has always been one of my favorite players for so long, but let's face it, he doesn't have it anymore. At this point I'll even go as far to say as our rookie Heyward would probably be more effective.

Offensive line is without a doubt the biggest worry. It's bad to the point that it's more of a liability than william gay as our #2 cb. Jonathan scott is next to worthless, and legursky is NOT the answer as guard. The running game seemed to get more of a push with foster in there. Wonder if the FO regrets cutting hills? which I wonder why in the first place he even got cut, considering he's better than legursky at everything except backup center.

Gilbert had a good game. The mathis strip & fumble I don't know if that blame can be placed on him. He rode mathis outside of the play and gave him over 5 seconds to throw the ball. I didn't expect a perfect game from gilbert, but he certainly played a lot better than scott. I would be more comfortable with gilbert as the LT as I think he's already the better of the 2. Maybe give flozell a call to play some RT?

The david johnson experiment is over. please scrap it, he can't play fullback for jack.

Antonio brown is starting to establish himself as a playmaker. He had a nice day both receiving and returning punts.

Speaking of playmakers, Mike Wallace is well on his way to superstar status

I know we're a bit harsh on william gay, but he seems to be doing a better job than mcfadden has, which of course isn't saying much. However I won't ever complain if b-mac is riding the pine
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts
Default Re: Some observations from yesterday's game

Best part of the game was Troy looking like the 2008 model and Harrison starting to show a return to form

Stating the obvious, the OL is worse than last year - in addition to the train wreck that is LT, it appears to me Pouncey is not playing near his 2010 level, which I assume is due to the ankle and hamstring injuries - without Pouncey to clean up inside the running game has collapsed. However, Gilbert's play looked acceptable - the first sack/fumble was on Roethlisberger

As for the D, it has been a long time since teams have run on the Steelers like they have this season - it is over for Aaron Smith (I bet he sits and Ziggy starts when Keisel returns) and the coaches apparently have seen significant slippage in Farrior's play as well

Due to the schedule a 10-6 record still appears likely, but the 2 road games this year show a team in decline that has not fixed its problems on offense (cannot use the receivers if Ben has no time to throw), has a QB who has returned to old habits by being careless with the ball, and is developing new ones on defense.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Another observation, what happened to Heath Miller's blocking skills? Man he was bad last night. Came through with some good catches, but was very bad on run and screen blocking.

On the O line, the thing that worries me most is not only are they bad, they must be the worst conditioned group in the NFL. I think we suffered another injury over breakfast this morning. But seriously, can we go one freakin game without someone getting hurt?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

I have got to wonder how bad Worilds is looking in practice if he cant get on the field at least on passing downs. The pass rush has been pretty putrid. Maybe I am just wrong, but I think that first and second round draft picks should be contributing immediately. The same for Heyward.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,219 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I agree, heyward needs more playing time. He was touted as one of the most nfl-ready prospects leading into the draft, and he played well in his limited time. Aaron smith has become a liability in the run game as much as I hate to say it.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,770 Times in 4,059 Posts

ryan clark coulda very well had one of his finest games as a steeler in both run defense and pass coverage, yet the announcers refuse to even acknowledge him other to say his name when he makes a tackle. he played a textbook game and i bet grades out with no negative plays when the coaches review the film.

on one play that troy was camped out in the backfield, he scared c. painter so bad, he threw it into the turf and polamalu was 3 yards away, having already abandoned his rush. the announcers said troy was faked out by the pump, which replay shows wasnt the case. troy knew his man was the rb in the backfield. painter was lucky to backpedal so quickly and pump to slightly freeze troy. in a split second, troy realized he likely wasnt gonna get to painter and persued the rb, just incase he was open for a pass. if painter wasnt shitting his pants, he probably coulda completed a pass. if troy didnt persue, it coulda gone for a 10-15 yard gain. with troy in persuit, if it had been caught it woulda been stopped at the line of scrimmage.

troys instincts are the best in the game. he doesnt quite have the prescience of Jesus, or the capabilities to be absolutely perfect on every play, but nobody does.

as much of a beating our o-line has taken (both physically and being trashed by the fans) pouncey plays with one hell of a mean streak.

bens effort was as valiant as i have ever seen. kind of ironic to see him take the same shot that ended drew bledsoes patriot career, nearly 10 years ago to the day.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/...-by-colts.html
Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Troy looked amazing, he's had games with more big plays, but I don't think I've seen him in the backfield so quick that many times, I think he's back. Harrison is getting closer, but he still was dead in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, hopefully he will be 100% soon. I saw mentioned that Miller was blocking poorly, I agree, but he usually blocks well, maybe he was just having bad matchups or a bad game. WR's looked great, can't wait to see Cotchery in. Smith was a non factor and should not be starting any more. The O line was actually giving Ben good time in the 1st quarter, my friends and I even mentioned how good Ben was doing since he had time, someone flipped a switch in the 2nd quarter and they turned into the worst line in football, I don't get it. One of the things I'm still worried about was Ben's interception. Don't get me wrong, he had a great game, a great drive, and might have gotten the worst or second worse protection of his career, but the interception didn't seem to be caused by those. He wasn't under much pressure and the WR wasn't even close to where he threw it to, wasn't like a DB made a play, it was just awful. If Ben makes mistakes while getting hit or under extreme pressure, or a good DB makes a play, that's one thing, but lately his interceptions are like blatant give aways, weird. I think the team is getting better on a large scale, but wether we beat a good team or make the playoffs seems to rest in the hands of the O and D lines.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I thought Ben looked pretty good other than the int. Any QB can be stripped from a blindside tackle and any QB can fumble from being hit as he is loading his throw. He can either dump off quicker or we can live with him holding the ball trying to extend the play. I thought the young receivers did not pick up on their hot routes, at least two of Bens throws were to areas when the Colts blitzed. Sanders dropped two very catchable balls one maybe even a score and another was a third down pass. Ben was 25 of 37 and those four plays could of been 29-37 and even one or two more scores.

Wallace is a stud. If we ever need to resign a receiver this is the guy. Defense was decent with Troy and Harrison playing on a higher level than previous games this year. Ike was steady. We finally got a turnover that meant something.

Now the bad, O-line injuries,D-line, and Kicker.
O-line is messed up. I hope they can get better but with injuries piling on a thin line to begin with its looking unlikely. As a fan I can only hope they find a diamond in the rough on the out of work guys. The only line worse than this one could be the Bears. Our DE are old, Smith is not a factor. I agree its time to go young and that may burn us to, but I think its worth a shot and i also think the Coaches will see it also. Suisham is not clutch, sorry, glad he hit the game winner but he missed a 36-37 yarder in a dome. Whats he going to do in December outdoors.

I am not giving up on this team yet,but its obvious we are old in some key areas, and thin in others, and just plain lack talent in others.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

D Johnson is a joke, I saw on numerous plays he would run right by a Colt defender and look for someone on the 2nd and 3rd level to block and that same Colt defender he just ran by would light Mendenhall up. Mendy dances way too much in the backfield and his vision as a running back is horrible. I noticed on a few plays he had some cut back lanes but chose to run right into a pile of lineman. J Scott, what can you say about this guy other than how bad are our backup lineman to have him beat you out. 6'6" 320 lbs of useless space. I almost fell out of my chair when late in the game Freeney literally lifted him off his feet and slammed him on his back. How many times do you have to get pushed around and abused before your pride comes into play. The D-Line is just as bad. As everyone here says Smith needs to retire, Hampton looked invisible last night and that is a feat for him to look invisible. It's hard to tell how the linebackers are doing because they can't do their job when our D-Line is being pushed back into them. Game balls go to Troy, R Clark, Wallace, & Ben. A wins a win but if they don't game plan around our weaknesses this is going to be a long season.
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote