Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Default Some Venting

Guys, you all need to calm down. Indianapolis is no push over. As for those of you comparing this game to 06 and 09, the difference is that the Steelers found a way to win, whereas in those years, they found a way to lose. Do you all not forget they were one Steve Johnson drop from losing to the Bills last year? Part of it is the fact they were playing on the road. It's said that if you win all of your home games and half of your road games, you are a good team. It's pretty rare you walk into someone's stadium and just blow them out. Not to mention Indianapolis has LOADS of talent. Yes, their missing piece is QB, but they still have maybe the best DE combo in the NFL (who faced maybe the worst OT combo in the NFL), a very good WR corps, and a very good OL. Yes if Manning would've played, it would've probably been a different story, but come on! They have been to the playoffs 9 yrs in a row for a reason. Also I think the Steelers should go to about 70-30 passing. Ben and the receivers are looking pretty spectacular lately and I am tired of hearing people complain about the Steelers needing to be a run-first team, I guess because they've happened to have a few HOF runningbacks? What happened from 1933-2010 doesn't matter to me. The Steelers have a HOF QB and a group of amazing receivers- they need to air it out.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,602 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Some Venting

i agree with you on most points except the 70-30 pass ratio. we need to be a little more balanced because if ben drops back 70% of the time he's going to get killed before the season is over. even in history's most prolific passing games, the key to its success is still having a solid enough running game to mix it up. even the greatest show on turf's success, a lot of the credit had to be attributed to having marshall faulk in the lineup
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I agree, even though we *should have* steamrolled them, it was a sight for sore eyes to see us be "clutch" when crunchtime came around again rather than keep rolling over and letting them win.

I don't agree about the passing thing, we need to be balanced. I do think if the run game is completely nonexistent like it was last night, we need to ADJUST (something Arians doesn't do often) and pass more, but we shouldn't come into a game with that mentality.

And although Indy's looked awful the first 2 weeks, Peyton Manning is not their whole team, honestly I think they had more of a mental problem than a talent problem and they overcame that last light. Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Wayne, Clark, Garcon, and Addai are all legitimate, talented players that should be able to get them a few wins no matter who's behind center.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Guys, you all need to calm down. Indianapolis is no push over. As for those of you comparing this game to 06 and 09, the difference is that the Steelers found a way to win, whereas in those years, they found a way to lose. Do you all not forget they were one Steve Johnson drop from losing to the Bills last year? Part of it is the fact they were playing on the road. It's said that if you win all of your home games and half of your road games, you are a good team. It's pretty rare you walk into someone's stadium and just blow them out. Not to mention Indianapolis has LOADS of talent. Yes, their missing piece is QB, but they still have maybe the best DE combo in the NFL (who faced maybe the worst OT combo in the NFL), a very good WR corps, and a very good OL. Yes if Manning would've played, it would've probably been a different story, but come on! They have been to the playoffs 9 yrs in a row for a reason. Also I think the Steelers should go to about 70-30 passing. Ben and the receivers are looking pretty spectacular lately and I am tired of hearing people complain about the Steelers needing to be a run-first team, I guess because they've happened to have a few HOF runningbacks? What happened from 1933-2010 doesn't matter to me. The Steelers have a HOF QB and a group of amazing receivers- they need to air it out.
It didnt seem that hard for the Browns to take advantage of them....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

60-40 would be good. The reason being is that great teams can do both. Right now we can't run on anyone and that sucks.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Guys, you all need to calm down. Indianapolis is no push over.
The Texans disagree.

Quote:
As for those of you comparing this game to 06 and 09, the difference is that the Steelers found a way to win, whereas in those years, they found a way to lose.
In 2006 they found ways to win 8 games, also.

Quote:
Not to mention Indianapolis has LOADS of talent. Yes, their missing piece is QB, but they still have maybe the best DE combo in the NFL (who faced maybe the worst OT combo in the NFL), a very good WR corps, and a very good OL

They have 2 good DEs, 1 good WR who can catch, and another good WR who can't catch. Their offensive line ain't that good, actually. I don't know where you got that idea. And, they are so bad a quarterback they called Kerry Collins off the couch.

C'mon. This team sucks. The Colts are the worst team in the league.

Quote:
Yes if Manning would've played, it would've probably been a different story, but come on! They have been to the playoffs 9 yrs in a row for a reason.
And now you can see why Manning won so many MVPs during his career.

Quote:
Ben and the receivers are looking pretty spectacular lately

Mike Wallace has looked good.......other than that, I have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Quote:
The Steelers have a HOF QB and a group of amazing receivers- they need to air it out.
Whether or not Ben will make the HOF, he has absolutley not even looked like an above average quarterback this season. I don't care how many Super Bowls he managed to win by free-loading off a Dick Lebeau defense, he cannot even carry this team to victory against the Colts without counting on TP to bail him out.

They're only shot on offense is to learn to run left every once in a while, give the ball to Redman, and pass off of play action.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

antonio brown looked good as well. he had a few big first down grabs, and some really good punt returns (which our offense did a bad job of capitalizing on)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
antonio brown looked good as well. he had a few big first down grabs, and some really good punt returns (which our offense did a bad job of capitalizing on)
He looks good on special teams. I do recall him dropping a pass, though.

I would love more than anything to see him get the ball on those bubble screens instead of #86. Let's get Hines to 1000 catches and then put him on the bench and get Brown on the field.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
He looks good on special teams. I do recall him dropping a pass, though.

I would love more than anything to see him get the ball on those bubble screens instead of #86. Let's get Hines to 1000 catches and then put him on the bench and get Brown on the field.
i thought he had a good outing as a WR too. 4 catches for 75 yards, and I think every reception resulted in a 1st down.

agree with the bubble screen though. ward is our best blocking WR, maybe sstill the best blocking WR in the NFL. use him where he's best (blocking), and throw it to our best open field runner, which might be brown.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,221 Times in 2,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i thought he had a good outing as a WR too. 4 catches for 75 yards, and I think every reception resulted in a 1st down. .
And after every first down catch it resulted in Brown channeling Santonio Holmes and pointing forward I wish Tomlin would tell him to lose that

I agree with those who say Brown should pass Sanders (who had a drop on the first drive and screwed up by leaping over the DB after the late first half INT by Ben) on the depth chart
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote