Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #31
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Steelers’ Beat Writer: Texans Will Win

I think Houston is going to blitz the day lights out of us and we'll be lucky if Ben comes out of this game with no injuries.

Defensively I think we'll be tired in the 3rd quarter and eventually get blown out. We just aren't ready to play serious football yet... we are physically and mentally unprepared. ... It's pretty clear to me that the Steelers expected the lock out to last longer then it did, because not many players are in game shape. . I'm banking on a strong 2nd half the season and hopefully sneak in the playoffs 2005 style.

prediction Houston wins 38-10
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

We've actually been suspect-able against the run this year and that's not good, especially against a Houston team dominant in the passing game AND who has the best depth at running back in the NFL.

We're seeing more and more of our Nickel packages, and that means Keenan Lewis on the field, and Casey Hampton out. Not good.

Remember what Baltimore did to us? Flacco destroyed us and so did Ray Rice on the ground. We just can't contend against balanced teams right now.

I don't even want to even THINK about the offense right now. Texans D is tough and will probably swallow that o-line up. I don't like our chances.

31- 17 Texans. I'll be hoping they prove my a$$ wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

There is one peculiar aspect to this game that could bring us good tidings, and I'll ask tony hipchest to back me up on this: the Texans aren't particularly bad in one or another part of their defense. They are mediocre against both the pass and the rush.

Tony and I have both joked about this in the past, but it's really no joke. If a team has a shitty run D, Bruce Arians will pass; if they have an atrocious pass D, Arians will run it more. Never fails.

Never.

However, whenever he's faced with a team that doesn't do one or the other particularly well nor badly, he's almost always come up with his best, most balanced and effective gameplans. It's simply astounding. Just you wait and see.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

If the Steelers don't put up at least 30 it's a loss.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #35
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,921 Times in 4,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
There is one peculiar aspect to this game that could bring us good tidings, and I'll ask tony hipchest to back me up on this: the Texans aren't particularly bad in one or another part of their defense. They are mediocre against both the pass and the rush.

Tony and I have both joked about this in the past, but it's really no joke. If a team has a shitty run D, Bruce Arians will pass; if they have an atrocious pass D, Arians will run it more. Never fails.

Never.

However, whenever he's faced with a team that doesn't do one or the other particularly well nor badly, he's almost always come up with his best, most balanced and effective gameplans. It's simply astounding. Just you wait and see.
lol... i was ready to post a response to this before i even read the last sentence...

"hater"

this is the paradox that makes BA so frustrating.

the opponents statistical scenario that ricardisiom points out, is when bruce arians is at his absolute best.

it completely takes his brain out of the equation, and doesnt allow him the easy opportunity to outsmart himself (which is very easy to do w/o a brain, which makes it even more amazing).

he is basically backed into a corner, forcing him to utilize a conventionional gameplan that soley relies upon the players skills, talents, and capabilities to easilly execute a gameplan, that is not muddied up with his hare brained schemes.

im actually predicting a win with our highest offensive point total of the year (which is basically saying i expect more than 2 touchdowns).

Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

Never.

We actually tried to run against the Colts and couldn't go anywhere.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
We actually tried to run against the Colts and couldn't go anywhere.
so it is your contention that we will never be able to go anywhere ever again?

you do know that teams review tape, see what mistakes were made and then go to work correcting them, right?

things change. do you remember what the colts run defense did a few years back after jacksonville runners hung 275 yds on them?

re-dedication and focus can go a long way. i think you (and others) are writing this steelers team off a bit too prematurely.

but then again, im just an optomist, which in "hater" lingo, translates to "homer". lmao

Last edited by tony hipchest; 09-29-2011 at 11:11 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #38
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so it is your contention that we will never be able to go anywhere ever again?

things change. do you remember what the colts run defense did a few years back after jacksonville runners hung 275 yds on them?

re-dedication and focus can go a long way. i think you (and others) are writing this steelers team off a bit too prematurely.

but then again, im just an optomist, which in "hater" lingo, translates to "homer". lmao
I was trying to say that Arians probably didn't want to pass as much as he did against the Colts. He attempted to run, and run a lot. But Mendenhall kept getting stuffed for no gain over and over again.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #39
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

While there may be many pessimists here, there are many homers as well. The Steelers will likely not go 2-14 but they likely won't go 12-4 or 11-5 either. I'm thinking more like 10-6 or 9-7.

I wish more than anything to see the Steelers win the SB every year but I am a realist. Ever since the SB last year I have had a bad taste in my mouth from this team. They remain throwbacks in the changing face of the NFL and are falling behind the curve. Teams like the Lions and Bills, annual bottom feeders, have geared up on offense and are lighting teams up this season. THIS is the NFL now. Great offensive lines, athletic receivers that are big and physical, QBs that read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly, CBs that are able to play man coverage well. Even the Browns and Bengals are moving in this direction. Cleveland is running a west coast offense that spreads defenses out. They don't have the personal yet but they are improving. Cincy is improving their personal and Dalton is actually putting up some good numbers. Teams like the Lions and Bills have been building teams for years and are now seeing success. The Lions are a little better team because they are better on defense right now.

The Steelers have thrived for years on a vicious defense and a brutal running game. Now their defense is aging and they have had a shaky O line for years now. While other teams are building brick wall O lines, the Steelers are just sticking with the status quo, leaving their $100 million investment running for his life.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #40
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I was trying to say that Arians probably didn't want to pass as much as he did against the Colts. He attempted to run, and run a lot. But Mendenhall kept getting stuffed for no gain over and over again.
okay.

theres a saying that "you are what you practice". the colts obviously sold out to stop our run, get us into predictable passing situations and then capitalize on our weakness and tee off on ben. they had an acceptable gameplan that almost worked.

we won in spite of what appeared to be an inadequate gameplan. our talent, beat theirs.

back to the "you are what you practice" it is suprising many how acceptable the colts run game is looking now that they are actually forced to focus on it in practice and impliment + execute it in games.

before this season people simply said their run game sucked. well it did, becaouse their pass game was predominant.

it wasnt for a complete lack of capability.