Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,302
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,313
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I think he will play himself out of the 'burgh.

Plus, any team who pays big money for a running back doesn't know what they're doing.

Look at the teams who have high paid running backs: Titans, Vikings, Rams, Panthers - none of them are any good. The drop-off from a Chris Johnson to a Joseph Addai just doesn't compare to the drop-off from Aaron Rodgers to Colt McCoy, or the drop-off from Joe Thomas to John Scott.

The Steelers should cut Mendenhall right now and go get Flozell. No other immediate action could help this team more.
man, you were on your way to a great post with excellent points and you had to ruin it with the last line.

the steelers could cut mendenhall, farrior, smith, ben, scott, the punter and anyone else and STLL not be able to afford flozell.

there is a salary cap and their salaries [2011] are guaranteed.

what simple part of this cant steelerfans understand?
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #22
cloppbeast
Team Captain
 
cloppbeast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 868
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the steelers could cut mendenhall, farrior, smith, ben, scott, the punter and anyone else and STLL not be able to afford flozell.
I admit, I didn't know this piece of information.

How much does Flozel want, anyway?

I generally tried to make the point investing in the o-line, especially tackle, is a better use of money than investing in running back. So, they shouldn't to resign Mendenhall even if he was good.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,302
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,313
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I admit, I didn't know this piece of information.

How much does Flozel want, anyway?

I generally tried to make the point investing in the o-line, especially tackle, is a better use of money than investing in running back. So, they shouldn't to resign Mendenhall even if he was good.
adam schefter reported that the steelers had the least ammt of cap space available before the season started (under 2 mil).

typically all teams like to keep atleast that much for emergencies and replacing players who need to go on IR (which we did by signing jamon meredith- which I would say takes us below 1 mil).

flozell and his $5 million were cut before the season (thus not guaranteed) and reports are he'd gladly sit at home as opposed to rendering his services for league minimum (which after taxes would be about $400,000).

now if you listen to the steelers FO spin, they are saying money is not an issue that is preventing them from signing a player (such as starks or flozell). im not buying it.

unless they really think he is washed up or true market value isnt much more than league minimum.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,904
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,392
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

I'd be interested to know what makes this baseless speculation.

1. I simply posted a link to an article reported by the post-gazette. At the time they thought it worthy enough to publish because it just seemed odd at first

2. I simply reacted to the article and thought it was strange

3. I then said combined with the fact (like someone else mentioned) that it wasn't for the Houston Media call, then on the Houston media call he (Ben) let it be known he is wondering why our guys are hurt all the time, then combined with Mendy's comments and it is a weird/slow week of news

4. I acknowledge that Ben also said he is proud of his O-line in the same call.

5. What else are we to do on a forum other than carry on conversation (which at times, can be speculative ((and just fun to shoot the breeze)) ? Why else is there news reported other than for people to read and come to their own conclusions or agree to disagree. I've never come out and said "Oh there is some big conspiracy and now players are openly bashing the coaches and organization and they are acting weird."

6. If you would like to lay out the rules of what you think I should be posting/talking about then I'd love to know, because while we are on on the matter - what do you have to contribute to the conversation that has any value at all? What's wrong? You don't like me pointing fingers in your direction?
__________________

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
tunes4life
Bench Warmer
 
tunes4life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 194
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

On the other hand, my speculation was definitely baseless.
__________________
What may man within him hide when angel on the outward side
tunes4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,775
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 2,034
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,299 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

I'm guessing it's something with his lawyers or some sort of family emergency. Wifey being prego isn't exactly an emergency.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,740
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 533
Thanked 1,843 Times in 793 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

I've got it!

It's all part of a ruse cooked up by Tomlin to get everyone talking about this so they won't be talking about the O-line.



Ooooh, that Tomlin's a crafty one!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #28
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,904
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,392
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

I knew it! I've been BOON-SWANGLED!
__________________

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
jjpro11
Living Legend
 
jjpro11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near Cleveland
Posts: 4,147
Member Number: 3559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 187 Times in 89 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I'd be interested to know what makes this baseless speculation.

1. I simply posted a link to an article reported by the post-gazette. At the time they thought it worthy enough to publish because it just seemed odd at first

2. I simply reacted to the article and thought it was strange

3. I then said combined with the fact (like someone else mentioned) that it wasn't for the Houston Media call, then on the Houston media call he (Ben) let it be known he is wondering why our guys are hurt all the time, then combined with Mendy's comments and it is a weird/slow week of news

4. I acknowledge that Ben also said he is proud of his O-line in the same call.

5. What else are we to do on a forum other than carry on conversation (which at times, can be speculative ((and just fun to shoot the breeze)) ? Why else is there news reported other than for people to read and come to their own conclusions or agree to disagree. I've never come out and said "Oh there is some big conspiracy and now players are openly bashing the coaches and organization and they are acting weird."

6. If you would like to lay out the rules of what you think I should be posting/talking about then I'd love to know, because while we are on on the matter - what do you have to contribute to the conversation that has any value at all? What's wrong? You don't like me pointing fingers in your direction?

easy there... i was only commenting about the random guesses on what the call was about. i.e. pregnant wife, legal matter, etc.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,446
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 339
Thanked 902 Times in 434 Posts
Default Re: Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

Conference call with the Rooneys... Art Jr. wanted to know what Ben thought of firing Arians immediately.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts